Headphones for little ones

Old Apr 3, 09, 2:38 pm

Thanks. I'd like to know how things go.

We're looking into buying a portable dvd player and headphones for our upcoming trip. Any feedback would be great.
Old Apr 14, 09, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

The Califone headphones worked fine.

We "practiced" a couple of times at home, and he quickly got used to the idea that he could hear Elmo better if he wore them. We actually never needed the video on the outbound trip, but on the return trip, when he got really antsy and we got really tired, we whipped out the computer and headphones. He immediately reached for the headphones and happily wore them for an hour of Elmo (the longest stretch we've ever let him watch). We had no problems with them being too quiet on the plane (I checked the volume periodically to make sure he could hear it but it wasn't too loud).
Old Apr 15, 09, 9:02 am

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
We have the Kidz Gears one for my 6 year old. He loves it... especially since he can control the volume.
Old Apr 15, 09, 9:54 am

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by codex57 View Post
Thanks. I'd like to know how things go.

We're looking into buying a portable dvd player and headphones for our upcoming trip. Any feedback would be great.
We did a lot of research an decided to get the Sony DVP-FX820 8-Inch Portable DVD Player. We're very happy with it.
Old Apr 15, 09, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Uniter View Post
We have the Kidz Gears one for my 6 year old. He loves it... especially since he can control the volume.
Did you buy it online or do you know of any stores that carry them?

Thanks!
Old Apr 15, 09, 10:41 am

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
Originally Posted by MichelleNC View Post
Did you buy it online or do you know of any stores that carry them?

Thanks!
We bought it on Amazon. We've had it for about a year now and it's worked out really well.... aside from the fact that when my son has them on he has absolutely no volume control on his own mouth. So when we're in the car, and my littler one is trying to sleep, he'll yell, "DAD! THIS DVD IS AWESOME!!"
Old Apr 21, 09, 7:07 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by MichelleNC View Post
We did a lot of research an decided to get the Sony DVP-FX820 8-Inch Portable DVD Player. We're very happy with it.
Heh, that's exactly the one we got - it works very well and seems to be pretty solidly built. The only problem is that Kensington doesn't make an adapter tip for it , which I was counting on for use with empower. However, the DVD player does come with a cigarette lighter adapter, which, with an additional $10 adapter, one can use in empower sockets.
Old Sep 12, 12, 7:17 am

See next post (I accidentally posted twice).

Last edited by pintsizepilot; Feb 4, 13 at 10:36 am Reason: I accidentally posted the same info twice
Old Jan 15, 13, 12:37 pm

After growing frustrated with ear buds, I did a fair bit of research on the best headphones for kids. I ended up purchasing the Caliphone ones for my youngest and the Kidz Gear ones for my older child. We have been very happy with both. As I write about travel with kids, I did a review on both styles and have continued to update my blog post as new children's headphones have come on the market. The most important issues are that a)they stay on and b) have some kind of volume limiting option so as not to damage little ears. If you are interested please see my post on the best toddler and kids headphones for 2013.
Old Jan 23, 13, 9:29 am

Programs: AA 2MM+; China Southern Gold VIP, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador
Pottery Barn Kids has a selection too, with fun prints on the ear sides. my son happily wears his.
Old Jan 28, 13, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
thanks for the post!
Old May 13, 20, 8:40 am

We have a three year old and, for some time now, have realized that young kids need something somewhat larger to really engage with the audio of in flight movies. Perhaps older kids might be fine with kids earbuds but here are some young kids headphones that aren't expensive and will certainly do the trick. The top pick definitely has worked wonders with ours.

One thing I'd recommend is to make sure whatever you get isn't Bluetooth only. By having a cable the kids will be "forced" to remain seated in order to hear what he's watching, which is a nice thing to know IMO.

At any rate, no travel for now...
Old May 15, 20, 9:09 am
Original Poster

We have a couple pairs of these generic phones from Amazon for the kids:
http://amzn.com/B074XS3RK7

We bought them a couple years ago and they've proved to be very comfortable and more durable than other headphones we've tried for kids (it helps that they fold up). They also have a mic, which is great right now with all their Zoom and Google Meet school-from-home stuff.
Old Jun 30, 20, 3:27 am

3 months ago I bought for my kid Paww WaveSound 3 Bluetooth Headphones. My child is pleased with them, they're looking great
Old Jul 5, 20, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat - 2MM miles
We got headphones that have little cat ears on top. My daughter has loved them for 4 years (she's now 7) and I bought them on Amazon for around $20. They also have a max volume so she can't blast out her ears.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: