Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

How to make your baby quiet in-flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2009, 9:50 am
Original Poster

I was asked, but not being a father, didn't have any suggestions.

Since some FlyerTalkers are proud parents of well-behaved frequent flyer babies, how do you keep them quiet? Specifically, is there any trick to teach them to equalize the pressure during descent, or is it a necessary evil until you can talk about it? Any tricks to share?

Thanks!
Old Feb 8, 2009, 9:55 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the classic answer is a shot of whiskey into the parents and a tablespoon of whiskey into the baby! Probably not the approved method, though....
Old Feb 8, 2009, 10:17 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow the discussion as the thread moves to our Travel with Children forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 7:28 am

"make"? you don't. you can't

Help them to be quiet, on the other hand, is doable. The easiest thing for the descent is to give them something to drink or eat - and be consistent about it. I find that fruit snacks work especially well for our toddler (who at just short of two is still eligible for infant in lap status even though she is ~3' tall - yes, she gets her own seat) because they are so chewy. My daughter seems to be less bothered by it, as we fly enough that I think she is starting to get the idea that the eating/drinking motion makes it feel better. She may not get the principle, but she has the solution. When she gets older, we can talk about it, but for now, cause and effect are good enough.

Last edited by nbs2; Feb 10, 2009 at 9:33 am Reason: i don't want to be responsible for someone giving a 3 month old fruit snacks
Old Feb 10, 2009, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by nbs2
"make"? you don't. you can't

Help them to be quiet, on the other hand, is doable. The easiest thing for the descent is to give them something to drink or eat - and be consistent about it. I find that fruit snacks work especially well because they are so chewy. My daughter seems to be less bothered by it, as we fly enough that I think she is starting to get the idea that the eating/drinking motion makes it feel better. She may not get the principle, but she has the solution. When she gets older, we can talk about it, but for now, cause and effect are good enough.
(bolding added)

Maybe for a toddler age two or three but not for a baby, surely? Babies don't have teeth. "Chewy" snacks would be devastating to a baby--though I trust that you didn't mean to recommend giving chewy snacks to a baby.

Maybe a bottle on descent. That's the usual recommendation. Whether it works would be variable. The point is, descent hurts a baby's ears, and naturally the baby will cry. But it's just for a few minutes.

Crying from fatigue is different. That goes on until the baby finally falls asleep. For that, playing music (music thoughtfully provided by the ear whatevers in the armrest) is very helpful. Music helps the little ones drop off to sleep.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 8:46 am

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Agree; you can't make your baby quiet. My only advice is book in Y where it's noisier and people are a bit more tolerant. Book baby a seat so you can bring their carseat, which they are used to traveling in, and they are more likely to sleep. My kids all had lots of ear problems, so with their doctor's advice, we gave Benadryl, not just for sleepiness, but to help clear their ears.

Sometimes, it's just the luck of the draw. A child who is crying nonstop on one flight, no matter what you do, is a cheerful angel on the next, and it has nothing to do with your "parenting skills".
Old Feb 10, 2009, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by SkeptiCallie
Maybe for a toddler age two or three but not for a baby, surely? Babies don't have teeth. "Chewy" snacks would be devastating to a baby--though I trust that you didn't mean to recommend giving chewy snacks to a baby.
Good point. We used to give her a bottle when she was younger.

I guess it's still tough to not think of a kid this side of two as still a baby. I'm sure I'll still think of her that way when she's 15 and shuns her parents.

But, you're right that fruit snacks for a baby would near enough to catastrophic, and I'm going to go fix that poor phrasing.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nbs2
Good point. We used to give her a bottle when she was younger.
Either nurse the baby or give them a bottle on both take-off and landing. It works like a charm (and I did it 18 times with my daughter-she never cried from ear pain).

Our pediatrician passed on a valuable piece of advice to us- on take off, don't give them a bottle or nurse until the plane is actually going racing down the runway. This way, if there are any ground delays, you won't have a baby who is full (and refuses to eat) at the crucial moment. We also planned ahead so that she was HUNGRY when we took off- to ensure that she would eat. We didn't starve her, but tried not to give her anything after about 1.5 hours before scheduled departure time.

Wait until your ears just begin to start popping on descent to feed them on this leg of trip (giving them meals in between take off and descent at appropriate intervals).

If the mom wants to nurse on take-off, an underinflated travel "boppy" type pillow works quite nicely. Leave the valve out so that you can easily let air out as the pillow expands when you get to cruising altitude. Our baby would generally fall asleep on the pillow and lie on my lap for the entire flight.

A nursing apron is also invaluable for modesty's sake. You never know who you will be sitting next too- see my post on my flight with Bob Eubanks.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 1:23 pm

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
+1 You can't make them do anything except sit in the car seat thanks to that 5-point harness.

If you resort to Benadryl, make sure you know how your child reacts to it. We gave it to our son for actual allergies and it wound him up like a triple espresso! His doc then prescribed juvenile Singulair which works great for him. That's when we learned that Benadryl doesn't make all kids sleepy.

Our best tips are planning, timing fllights to take advantage of nap and feeding times, comfy clothes, comfort toy and most important, make sure the parents are relaxed! Nervous/stressed out parents will give off a vibe that baby picks up on and that won't make for a good situation.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 3:34 pm

Programs: SK EBD, Starwood/Marriott/RC, Hertz, Avis, AmXP, DC, etc.
I'd agree with the "you can't make them do anything" sentiment, as well as the advice about using a bottle, and making sure they are hungry.

One other thing I've found useful on our two intercontinental RTs (at 3,5 months, 4,5 months, and 8 months), is to use a baby carrier. First the baby has to be familiar with it and comfortable in it, so have to start well before the flight (I've used them since my LO was about 1,5 months old), and have found having baby in either a pouch or a soft-structured carrier to be fantastic for both me (hands free) and calming the baby.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 2:15 pm

Programs: United Plus
I'll second the baby carrier!

I've been flying with mine between Europe and California about twice a year since each was 4 months old. For my first, I had one of those fiddly Bjorns. Not useful! The baby cried every time I went to take him out. For my next two, my flights were infinitely much easier (except for the fact I had the older child(ren)) when I got a sling. I started using it in the hospital so they were in it as newborns.

I was able to breastfeed decreetly in it (no need for any poncho or cover) and it was magic for calming a crying baby. At least I could walk around and the sling sort of muffled it (she was crying into me and the sling, not broadcasting out to the rest of the cabin). It also served as a baby changer, sun cover and blanket. We could even sleep together in it on the airplane.

I was stopped and asked how to get one when other parents saw how much easier it made travel.

As a former Flight Attendant, please be aware that the babies-crying-because-of-ears theory is not really valid. I had a Flight Attendant tell me my child was crying because of her ears on the ground. In 13 years of transatlantic flying, I rarely saw real ear problems in anyone, let alone children. It was one of those things that when it was bad, it was very, very bad. Blocked and infected ears are absolute torment on a flight and no amount of sucking will relieve the pain.

The BEST way to insure that your baby's ears are comfortable is to have a doctor look in his ears a few days before flying. Just make sure he doesn't have one of those nasty symptomless infections my son used to get. You definitely don't want to fly with a baby whose ears are already blocked and if your baby cries, you'll know for sure that it's not because of his ears. Crying unblocks ears anyway.

I didn't do this because I had a car seat (highly recommended, much safer and more comfortable) and my babies where in it for take-off and landing. Two of them never had bottles (the first one had bottles but I flew before he did with him) and none took a pacifier. We never, ever had ear problems. No need to remove a child from a safe car seat during those critical times of the flight.

The AAP recommends that the child simply be awake at the top of descent. Just being up keeps them swallowing and moving their heads which will help their ears. Please don't force him to drink if he doesn't want to. Most children do wake up because the second service is finishing up and the F/A's are securing the cabin. If your child falls asleep on take-off and landing, let him sleep.

Do NOT deny your child something to drink before you get on the plane. This will only make him cranky and forcing him to drink during take-off is unnecessary. The last thing anyone wants is to start off a flight with an unhappy, dehydrated child whose parents misguidedly wont let them drink. I find boarding one of the trickest part of flying and I really need my kids as calm and cooperative as possible.

Here are a couple of links on the ear issue;
http://www.aap.org/patiented/flyingbaby.htm
http://www.entcda.com/AAOHNSF/earsandaltitude.htm

The only thing is in that second article, it suggest ear plugs. Great tip...if you can get them in a child's ears (perhaps there are very placid children who will tolerate this).

I have never given my children any sort of medication to make them sleep but I've seen it done when I was a F/A. It does work but twice, like a pp's child, they also went all wired with it. Benedryl put me in the emergency room at age 7 so be aware that allergies and other unexpected complications can happen with an OTC drug. Turns out I don't do well antihistamines and it runs in the family (which is why I can't risk it with my own children).

A common tip is to book flights when the child usually naps. As a F/A, I saw this go wrong soooo many times. One small delay and they sense the tension. Sleep is forgotten, overtiredness sets in, so the poor parents are then dealing with two crises at the same time. Hard to hear delay announcements with a screaming toddler!

Anyone who works with the airlines will tell you, the earlier the flight, the more likely it will be on time. I've woken my children up at 4am to catch early flights (not by choice I assure you!) but they were better than at any other time of the day. Any teacher or child care worker will tell you that children do better in the morning. You can reset their schedule when you get there, but do just that...get there as soon in the day as you can.

While I can't say that mine were always perfect angels, they, or more specifically my oldest, were not good sleepers. They were quick to get rid of naps and never slept more than 10 hours at a time. I found out quickly that it was better to not fight this. I let them sleep whenever they wanted to (on the way to the airport, in the stroller during check-in, on the connecting flight, etc.) It was better for all of us to not try to make sleeping the top priority. I would keep them occupied, happy and quiet. The other passengers just don't want a screaming child or intruding in their "personal space". A toddler running toy trucks over his own seat is not disturbing anyone.

For real screaming, if the lavs weren't occupied, I'd dive in there until the worst was over. Great sound muffler.

Bring a baby pain reliever if teething is a problem, even if you don't do this a lot at home. I was quicker to tylenol on the plane. You don't fly every day and hopefully aren't in too many situations squished in metal tubes with hundreds of other people...

I saw a baby once, every little peep she made there was a bottle, food or diaper change. The light was switched on and the two new parents were hovering over her, doing anything and everything.

Sometimes with babies, less is more. Yes, I would walk up to stressed parents with my arms out and say "Let me give you a break". The baby almost always settled down, not because I'm any magical nanny but just because they really sense their parents' tension. Often, the little ones just need a quiet walk through the cabin. Later (much later may I add) as a mom myself, I'd pop mine in the carrier and off we'd go, down the aisle and off to slumberland...

I also would be a rich woman if I had a dime for every time I suggested nicely to parents to remove a hot sweater or extra blanket. It's not seeing the forest because of the trees... Once, the mother insisted that it was his "ears". He was sweating and we were at cruising altitude...

I've never had a complaint about a parent who was actively trying to do something about a crying baby. Do nothing, as the "ears" woman did, and you'll incur the wrath of the whole cabin.

Don't spend a lot of time apologizing (saw this too many times and just worry about the child. If someone is really difficult, tell them that you paid for your ticket too, people procreate and babies are allowed on planes. Worse comes to worse, remember you'll probably never see any of these people again. They can go create their own baby-free airline!
Old Feb 16, 2009, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Eclipsepearl
I was able to breastfeed decreetly in it (no need for any poncho or cover) and it was magic for calming a crying baby. At least I could walk around and the sling sort of muffled it (she was crying into me and the sling, not broadcasting out to the rest of the cabin). It also served as a baby changer, sun cover and blanket. We could even sleep together in it on the airplane.

I was stopped and asked how to get one when other parents saw how much easier it made travel.
The need for the poncho or cover depends on the mom and the age of the baby. Yes, you can breastfeed with just a sling, but I was not comfortable without a cover. Each person should decide what works for them- hopefully by practicing a couple of times before the flight. This decision was for two reasons 1) using a sling requires some serious planning ahead in terms of the clothing that you are wearing and/or requires that you pull your shirt up, exposing your post pregnancy belly and 2) I was uncomfortable using a sling/moby type carrier at all during flight because of the potential crush hazzard of such devices should there have been significant turbulance. I used a baby b'air instead. I did use the Moby to carry my daughter on and off the aircraft.

As a former Flight Attendant, please be aware that the babies-crying-because-of-ears theory is not really valid. I had a Flight Attendant tell me my child was crying because of her ears on the ground. In 13 years of transatlantic flying, I rarely saw real ear problems in anyone, let alone children. It was one of those things that when it was bad, it was very, very bad. Blocked and infected ears are absolute torment on a flight and no amount of sucking will relieve the pain.

The AAP recommends that the child simply be awake at the top of descent. Just being up keeps them swallowing and moving their heads which will help their ears. Please don't force him to drink if he doesn't want to. Most children do wake up because the second service is finishing up and the F/A's are securing the cabin. If your child falls asleep on take-off and landing, let him sleep.

Do NOT deny your child something to drink before you get on the plane. This will only make him cranky and forcing him to drink during take-off is unnecessary. The last thing anyone wants is to start off a flight with an unhappy, dehydrated child whose parents misguidedly wont let them drink. I find boarding one of the trickest part of flying and I really need my kids as calm and cooperative as possible.

Here are a couple of links on the ear issue;
http://www.aap.org/patiented/flyingbaby.htm
http://www.entcda.com/AAOHNSF/earsandaltitude.htm

The only thing is in that second article, it suggest ear plugs. Great tip...if you can get them in a child's ears (perhaps there are very placid children who will tolerate this).
I am confused at why Eclipsepearl states that the ear reason is "not valid?" I think nearly everyone has heard a baby crying on take off and landing and the linked article she cites above on the aap site specifically mention it as a problem and suggests giving fluids to help the baby suck and relieve ear pressure. I also want to clarify that I do not advocate "withholding" liquids- just timing your feedings. Since newborns eat about every two hours, it isn't that hard to ensure that the next feeding is at take-off/landing time. Sometimes holding off just 15 minutes or so can make a real difference, as can offering a feeding early.

A common tip is to book flights when the child usually naps. As a F/A, I saw this go wrong soooo many times. One small delay and they sense the tension. Sleep is forgotten, overtiredness sets in, so the poor parents are then dealing with two crises at the same time. Hard to hear delay announcements with a screaming toddler!
This is great advice! I agree, and have learned this the hard way.

For real screaming, if the lavs weren't occupied, I'd dive in there until the worst was over. Great sound muffler.
Again, great advice. A trick that I hadn't though of in the past. I'll remember it for future flights.

Bring a baby pain reliever if teething is a problem, even if you don't do this a lot at home. I was quicker to tylenol on the plane. You don't fly every day and hopefully aren't in too many situations squished in metal tubes with hundreds of other people...
As Eclipsepearl suggests, I always bring this with me, along with a thermometer and all the other home medical supplies needed for a baby. This is handy not just on the plane, but after you arrive. You don't want to have to find a 24 hour pharmacy in a new city.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Cellisttoo
I am confused at why Eclipsepearl states that the ear reason is "not valid?" I think nearly everyone has heard a baby crying on take off and landing and the linked article she cites above on the aap site specifically mention it as a problem and suggests giving fluids to help the baby suck and relieve ear pressure. I also want to clarify that I do not advocate "withholding" liquids- just timing your feedings. Since newborns eat about every two hours, it isn't that hard to ensure that the next feeding is at take-off/landing time. Sometimes holding off just 15 minutes or so can make a real difference, as can offering a feeding early.
I completely agree. Maybe Eclipsepearl was simply talking about parents overusing the ear pain explanation (like the mom at cruising altitude, when the baby's ears should have been fine).

To be clear, ear pressure is a serious thing. We flew a lot when I was a kid and I had very sensitive ears (had to get tubes put in when I was 4 or 5). Take-off was rarely a problem, but if I was the least bit stuffy (forget ear infections, I'm just talking about the sniffles) my ears hurt horribly on descent. This lasted until I was a teenager. I vividly remember a multi-stop 737 flight in Alaska (ANC-FAI-SCC-BRW) from when I was 11 that was particularly bad--I was doing everything I could to keep from crying each time we descended.

My parents almost always gave me decongestants and made sure I had chewing gum for the descent (I don't remember flights from before I was old enough to chew gum). And on one flight a helpful FA introduced us to the concept of "hot cups," where you put a napkin soaked in hot water from the galley into the bottom of a cup and hold that over your ear. It may have been a placebo, but it sure seemed to help, and in later years my parents found some reusable "instant-hot" earpads they could keep in the bag of toys and whatnot for when my little sisters had ear problems on flights and the FAs unable to make us "hot cups." Sadly I haven't seen those for sale for years.

So yeah, I wouldn't wake up a sleeping baby to force her to drink. And I wouldn't withhold liquids if the kid is thirsty before flight. But if you can time your feedings to coincide with takeoff (don't start at taxi, as you can taxi forever--wait for the final roll on the takeoff runway), and then time another to coincide with the last 15 minutes of descent, it can help a lot. And even if you can't time the feedings like that, having an extra bottle or pacifier handy (even if the kid doesn't usually use bottles or pacifiers) can be very key for calming a baby whose ears hurt.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I doubt the efficacy of this method on a repeated basis, but as a one off, might not hurt to try

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ0VIE2YgEo

Tip: try it out first in the privacy of your own bathroom before leaning over your own or someone else's child to do it
Old Mar 4, 2009, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA: Former CK (LT PLT), MB: PE (LT Gold)
Aside from ear popping issues, the best advice I can give you is options for the child. At 6 months, the best gift I received from a FA was a stack of plastic drink cups (about 6 - one for every 30 minutes on that flight). The crinkle sound when my son played with the cup was total entertainment for him. We'd replace it if it he cracked the cup or dropped it on the floor and was putting it in his mouth. The 1 per 30 minute rule worked quite well. At 12 months, it's a whole different issue. The best gift from a FA at that stage was her volunteering to take him on tour of the entire plane with her (he was walking well by then). The best 30 minutes of my life I must add (it was a JFK-NRT route on AA). I miss her dearly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.