Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Transcons: nonstop vs. connecting

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transcons: nonstop vs. connecting

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2017, 7:01 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by kanny
Looks like there are a couple of threads on this, so I'll just choose this one. Upcoming scenario: January, BOS-LAX, the only great grandparent left who's pushing 100 will get a visit from the only great grandchild who'll be ~6 months. Lucky to be flying in F and even considering 3 seats versus 2 with lap, the latter being the actual case as the wife considers 3 to be "gluttonous". I know YMMV, but in your experience, would you connect BOS-ORD/DFW-LAX or go nonstop? Thanks in advance.

It's a little sad, but I'm considering the DFW connection just so I can try the AA 789 business class. If it were a few months later, we'd probably just fly BOS-PHL-LAX in coach when they'll introduce the A330s on that route (where the premium economy product will hopefully be available as an MCE seat). It's too bad our schedule doesn't work out so that we can do the BOS-LAX in the A321T business class.
With a 6mo I would absolutely do the non-stop. At that age mine used to sleep most of the way. Just take some extra bottles. Mine drank formula at room temp so that was awesome. I took empty bottles, travel size packs of formula and some water. I'd mix it up on demand. Also, at this time of year, I would want to avoid changes in ORD at all costs due to weather, same for DFW since if they get ice, they shut down. Take a couple of books and fun toys and you'll be good.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 7:40 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Looks like there are a couple of threads on this, so I'll just choose this one. Upcoming scenario: January, BOS-LAX, the only great grandparent left who's pushing 100 will get a visit from the only great grandchild who'll be ~6 months. Lucky to be flying in F and even considering 3 seats versus 2 with lap, the latter being the actual case as the wife considers 3 to be "gluttonous". I know YMMV, but in your experience, would you connect BOS-ORD/DFW-LAX or go nonstop? Thanks in advance.

It's a little sad, but I'm considering the DFW connection just so I can try the AA 789 business class. If it were a few months later, we'd probably just fly BOS-PHL-LAX in coach when they'll introduce the A330s on that route (where the premium economy product will hopefully be available as an MCE seat). It's too bad our schedule doesn't work out so that we can do the BOS-LAX in the A321T business class.
The non-stop, without a doubt, is my suggestion too. The fewer times getting off and on the plane with a baby, the easier it is.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:27 am

That would be a bummer to miss the 787 business class, but I concur with the others that nonstop is definitely the best option. Once kids start getting around 18 months+ I would consider a connection, so they can get their energy out, but at 6 months that's not an issue at all.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 11:59 am

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Nonstop it is!
Old Jan 21, 2018, 12:42 pm

Wow, he did really well. Went on the 10:40am nonstop and despite only sleeping 70 out of the 350+ minutes, he was surprisingly very well behaved and calm. Later in the week, we did the 1:50pm LAX-IAH in lap Y, and with the 3 hour late-announced (grrr) delays (and the terminal shuttle), he was more of a disaster. A later HOU-BOS night flight confirmed that later in the day flights (I thought witching hour was done by now?) resulted in a super fussy baby. The Ergo carrier was very very clutch, as someone (looking at you, person in the mirror) forgot the city tour travel stroller that they bought specifically for this trip. Had the car seat for HOU-BOS on own seat on the plane and he was in it for a 30min nap but didn't want to be in it at all. Maybe I have a spoiled baby who likes being in J (like his Dad)..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.