Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Ticket for Unborn Un-named Child

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ticket for Unborn Un-named Child

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2008, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
I have nothing to add, but Congratulations!
Old Jun 6, 2008, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich
Our first child flew transatlantic at 10 weeks - I pretty sure we ticketed her as "Baby Lastname"
Same, though domestic, not t-atlantic. Didn't have a prob.

Somewhat related: when your kid approaches two years of age, make sure you bring proof of birthdate if you don't want to pay for a ticket. I'd say start at one to be safe. Passport or birth certificate will work.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 10:26 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

'Baby lastname' will work if award is from same airline ie UA. If your ticket is multi airline then a future name change will not be possible.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
^

and i presume that was with UA?
Yes, UA. I don't know if I was lucky with the agents I got, but they handled it without batting an eyelid, you'd think they deal with hundreds of unborn children every day....
Old Jun 7, 2008, 2:06 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Please continue the discussion in the Travel with Children forum. Thanks for your understanding.

Jouy31
TravelBuzz moderator
Old Jun 8, 2008, 12:48 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by SAN 1K
Has anyone had success in either purchasing or getting an award ticket for a person not yet born and named? Perhaps purchasing a ticket under the name "Infant SAN1K"?
I'm strategizing how to get some international award travel for next summer (once the dates open up) and this may be part of the strategy to avoid the 10% of full-fare cabin-of-service price that we would theoretically have to pay for an infant lap child.
I do not have an answer for your question, but have you considered pre-registering a FlyerTalk account for your child?

If so, your child just might become the first person to become a FlyerTalk member before he or she is born.

Congratulations to you, SAN 1K!
Old Jun 8, 2008, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA 1MM *G (recovered GS), SPG Nothing, Hilton Nothing, AA Nothing
Flying XF TATL with Mrs CTW and Little Miss CTW (as yet unborn but named and gender known) this Christmas. We were told she could not be added to the PNR as a lap/bassinet baby without a DOB which is not expected until September. Not sure if this is because it's an award ticket or not an actual seat -- perhaps I should check again just to be sure the PNR has a note about this.

-C
Old Jun 9, 2008, 5:38 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
not sure about booking tickets but I admit that both my kids had several ff accounts and miles in them before they were even born! Why? I had names picked out for boy and girl (my parents' names) and had the doc identify the gender more than once to make sure. They are now 10 and 5 with six figure mile balances...hoarding them, with the ticket prices shooting up, has worked out fine for them!
Old Jun 9, 2008, 7:37 am

Programs: Worldperks Elite
Hi,

We've had a similar experience as Carl - and the opposite - with the existence/non-existence of a previous booking seeming to make the difference. We have just had a new baby arrive and needed to add him to our return leg KWI-YYZ in July - and began sorting this out a few months prior to delivery. No problems with KLM holding Row 1 and a bassinet for us but they cannot actually issue a ticket (added to our existing ticket) without a name, DOB, and passport number. So the ticket is at the tender mercies of passport Canada - although they have assured us that we will receive it well in advance of the flight.

Conversely, at the time of sorting out the above ticketing, I booked (and purchased) return tickets YYZ-KWI for late in August for all of us - with no problems re: baby name, DOB, or lack of passport - even though this was also prior to his arrival. He is simply listed on the e-ticket as firstname: baby and surname: that of my wife.

So my only conclusion, based on this, is that it is actually easier to obtain new bookings for an unborn child than to add a newborn to an existing ticket (in that a passport #, name, and DOB is required for the latter and not for the former).

Strange?
Old Jun 9, 2008, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA- 1P
Congrats SAN 1K!
We just went through the same problem (not a problem actually) but with a paid ticket on UA. It is not a problem because the child will be under 2 so "infant in seat" as they call it. Therefore he does not need to have a ticket at all. He does need to be on the PNR before checking but you can do that a couple of days before the flight. All you need to do is pay taxes for him if on an international flight (free for domestic). So no worries about availability there. Also when you add him to the PNR don't forget to ask for a bassinet. It's all good.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by CarlTheWebmaster
Flying XF TATL with Mrs CTW and Little Miss CTW (as yet unborn but named and gender known) this Christmas. We were told she could not be added to the PNR as a lap/bassinet baby without a DOB which is not expected until September. Not sure if this is because it's an award ticket or not an actual seat -- perhaps I should check again just to be sure the PNR has a note about this.

-C
Good point - in reference to my prior post, when we did this, we simply gave them the expected due date and they were fine with that. Again, we had no problem changing the DoB once she arrived!
Old Jun 9, 2008, 1:56 pm

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
Originally Posted by CPRich
Our first child flew transatlantic at 10 weeks - I pretty sure we ticketed her as "Baby Lastname"
That should work. The only problem I can see is that OP is going international so be sure to change "Baby" to the actual name on his or her passport.

Before LittleJonesings #1 and #2 came along we had cruises planned and booked. The cruise line had no problem of adding "TBA Jonesing" to our reservation each time. Later, we informed the cruise line of the baby's name and birthdate in order to complete the record.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA 2MM former EXP - driven away by "Enhancements", MVPG75, Hilton Diamond
We used "Infant", and had the ticket changed after birth to the appropriate name. It was on AA, and a supervisor had to be called to make sure it was OK for a domestic award ticket.

RE faking it with a Kelly, Pat, etc. type of name, I've had TSA ask my oldest kid what the name of my youngest kid is, and check that against the ticketed name. It was crafty on TSA's part....
Old Jun 20, 2008, 12:11 am

Programs: BA Bronze, SK Diamond
We did exactly this last week. Our infant TLardner flew Oslo - Geneva at the age of 2 weeks and with the name of "infant"! Booked a couple of months ago and of course needs a passport to fly that route.

He loved it.. And you wouldn't believe the looks...
Old Jun 20, 2008, 11:30 am

Programs: US Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5-Star
Originally Posted by nnn
Why not? There must be plenty of expecting families out there buying tickets for months into the future. Surely not all of them are intent on bringing lap children.
You are making the assumption that the airlines are customer-centric and that they really care about providing quality services to their customers.

Before our son turned 2-YO, I can't tell you how many times that we were told that we couldn't bring his car seat with us when we were boarding. First, he had his own seat. Second, we have the print-out of the airline’s website showing that all passengers under the age of 2 that have their own seat must be seated in a car seat. The FAs on these flights were not rookies…it just show the airlines poorly train their personnel, how they don’t communicate policies and etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.