Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Specific DVDs that keep infants occupied?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Specific DVDs that keep infants occupied?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2008, 8:16 am

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Honestly, some people take this waaaay too seriously! I have successfully raised several children/stepchildren and I do not feel any of them suffered brain damage or had their learning impaired because they watched television!

OP - get your child some DVDs and relax. And, it's much easier to do so if they are entertained on a plane and not disturbing others. Have a good trip.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 3:48 pm

Programs: nwa
Baby Eintein save my sanity on a crosscountry trip I had the complete collection as well as a few goodnight shows from pbs sprout , we have also done 3 days train treeps with pbs sprout because of the variety in the 2-3 hours recording he never got bored
Old Jun 19, 2008, 4:58 pm

I was reading through this thread, and about to say exactly what GBeckman said -- but GBeckman beat me to it! (People from Colorado must have great ideas together :-)

I especially want to ditto Signing Time. My now 4 1/2 year old with Down syndrome adores them, AND is LEARNING more and more signs every time. Even though his speech is now improving, he still learns from them too. I think in general younger kids (though maybe not as young as the OP's child) will also enjoy and benefit from them. IOW, these are educational, not just entertainment. We have all of series 1 (13 DVDs, except one is broken ), and 7 from Series 2. (I actually prefer Series 1.) And they keep him quite occupied on an airplane flight, which makes everyone around happier.

cjbg (Longmont)

Originally Posted by GBeckman
Ok, I'm one of those parents who limits the tv my son watches as much as possible. For pete's sake, he's 2 years old and doesn't even know who Elmo is yet. That said, I see nothing wrong with having him watch some dvds on a plane. Honestly, I do anything I can to keep my kid entertained on the plane, and there's only SO much I can do, especially as I travel alone with my son and am the sole source of entertainment. It's easy to say read a book or three, but over the course of a three hour flight, it's not physically possible for me to read that long. I would lose my voice and my sanity. And I know that at the age of the OP's kiddo, my DS really didn't have much interest in books. He would pay attention for maybe a book or two, three at the most, and that was it, he was done. All the various toys I would bring along would buy me 5 minutes apiece if I was lucky. A dvd might get me half an hour. I really don't think that the half an hour to an hour of dvds that he watched during flights has done or will do him any long term harm. Now, my friend who plopped her 2 month old in the bouncer in front of sesame street for hours at a time, that's another story...

OP, as stated, we watch very little tv in our house, but DS really liked/likes the Signing Times dvds. Your little one is at the perfect age to really start soaking up the signs, too! Volumes 1-3 are great, and full of lots of practical signs. I personally don't like the Baby Einstein dvds because they seem so mind-numbing, but that's just me. DS also likes the Wiggles.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 10:31 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Baby Loooney Tunes - available through Amazon and Warner. I love them too !!!
Old Aug 18, 2008, 5:42 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by schwarm
Frankly, I feel sorry for the children of the opinionated and rigid. . . .

My co-worker, who had 2 kids, was so incensed that not only did this guy not get a job with us but he was basically blackballed from the entire field.
Your co-worker sounds about as "opinionated and rigid" as the intern whose career he or she apparently hurt considerably.

(Not that I agree with the intern's comment.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.