Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Issues involving children very near 2-year-old age cutoff

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Issues involving children very near 2-year-old age cutoff

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2014, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace
My husband and I are both 1Ks, he's a million miler, so doubt if status has anything to do with violating an FAA rule.
I was not saying or implying that airlines would knowingly violate FAA rules for anybody, frequent flyers or not. What I was suggesting is that airlines might trust someone with whom they have had a very long relationship. If I show up for a Delta flight with a lap baby who appears to be under age 2, then Delta is likely to trust that I am not lying about her age. Delta and I have a 30-year relationship, with thousands of flights and millions of miles together. I am not known to be a liar. Obviously, if I were to show up with a 6-year-old "lap baby," no airline on Earth would look the other way.

Bruce
Old Sep 27, 2014, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace
When my grandson was under age two, he flew as a lap baby on Southwest and United. Both airlines asked to see his birth certificate.
I can't speak to Southwest, but I would be surprised if even five percent of other trips with lap-child infant on domestic AA/DL/US/UA flights involve being asked for proof of child's age. My family's experiences in this regard have been such that it seems rare to be asked for proof of age in such circumstances. Of the past fifty or so such trips, the last time this came up was at first class check-in with AA at LAX for a party consisting of multiple FFP elites. But that birthdate/proof of birth demand may have been (In)SecureFlight/blacklist-related.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 27, 2014 at 1:45 pm
Old Dec 16, 2016, 1:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Not sure if there is a single data point on this, but is there any general knowledge or insight [into the backend computer systems that the agents at check-in/gate see] into booking/flying a ticket with a red-eye flight for a child that WILL turn two when the flight lands?

So, theoretically, all I know from my travels, is that booking, mileage posting (to FFPs), etc is all tied to the INITIAL date and the only relevance of the landing date is for information on the ticket/website.

I was looking to book a ticket, and unfortunately the only flight that IS available (award) is with a red-eye on my infant's second birthday. She'd depart on AC as a one year old and arrive in Toronto as two, and yes, a passport would be required for this (International Flight having connected from Hong Kong), as US-based passengers.

Thanks for any advice!

-jeremy
Old Dec 18, 2016, 8:26 pm

This just to be OK on many carriers but not anymore. It depends on who you are flying with so check with AC. Doubt they allow it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.