Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Issues involving children very near 2-year-old age cutoff

Issues involving children very near 2-year-old age cutoff

Old Sep 3, 2013, 11:49 am

Thanks everyone.

We are flying from MSP to the UK, preferably Edinburgh but London if it's significantly cheaper.

My 21 month old son has been on approx. 20 flights so far, all of them as lap infant but nearly all of them he's been able to get his own seat thanks to helpful flight attendants! So, I've had success with taking the risk of booking him as a lap infant and still getting a seat.

The BA information intrigues me. So I could book him as a lap infant and he'd still have a seat somehow?

For the record it's a 3 month trip, so he flights to the UK at 22 months and back at 25 months.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:23 am

Programs: United Plus
http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...nning-your-tri

If you're travelling with an infant who reaches the age of two during their journey, your child will need their own seat for any flights on and after their 2nd birthday. However, there is no charge for this; you will still only pay the infant fare for the entire journey.

As your infant will only be required to have a seat for part of your trip, this can't be booked online, so contact us and we'll be pleased to help you.

Contact us
Old Sep 5, 2013, 7:22 pm

Thank you! ^
Old Sep 11, 2013, 9:58 pm

I'm about to book these tickets, and I just selected infant on the BA website. The info you posted about says to call, but it seems to be bookable online.

Also, how does it work with codesharing? I'm booking on the BA website and the flights that are operated by American are much cheaper. Will they still let me travel with my just-turned 2 year old as an infant? Or do I have to fly BA proper?

I can't seem to find 'child fares' anywhere. When I attempt to do this with United (which is actually cheapest) it just says there are no flights found....

Argh, this is very confusing. I don't want to pay a full fare for him if I don't have to as tickets for my travel dates are around $1300 per person right now.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:46 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, Le Club Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Alana84
I'm about to book these tickets, and I just selected infant on the BA website. The info you posted about says to call, but it seems to be bookable online.

Also, how does it work with codesharing? I'm booking on the BA website and the flights that are operated by American are much cheaper. Will they still let me travel with my just-turned 2 year old as an infant? Or do I have to fly BA proper?

I can't seem to find 'child fares' anywhere. When I attempt to do this with United (which is actually cheapest) it just says there are no flights found....

Argh, this is very confusing. I don't want to pay a full fare for him if I don't have to as tickets for my travel dates are around $1300 per person right now.
I believe it only applies when flying with BA, but the only way to confirm it would be to call
Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:37 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by fredandgingermad
I believe it only applies when flying with BA, but the only way to confirm it would be to call
Better than calling BA is to ask FT member Raffles what he would do. His blog at www.headforpoints.com probably makes it relatively easy to contact him if his FT PM box is as full as mine usually is.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 2:39 am

American Airlines is under FAA jurisdiction and they are very strict about lap babies. Once they have had their 2nd birthday, they have to have a seat. There have been ugly incidents at the airport over this. Also, the burden of proof is on you to prove that your lap baby has not yet had his 2nd birthday.

BA is under the CAA, which is less strict.

With codesharing, the rules of the actual airline you're flying always apply.

Rarely do I see "child" (2-11) fares. Sometimes they're more expensive than regular fares so beware!
Old Sep 12, 2013, 3:37 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Eclipsepearl

American Airlines is under FAA jurisdiction and they are very strict about lap babies. Once they have had their 2nd birthday, they have to have a seat. There have been ugly incidents at the airport over this. Also, the burden of proof is on you to prove that your lap baby has not yet had his 2nd birthday.

Rarely do I see "child" (2-11) fares. Sometimes they're more expensive than regular fares so beware!
Believe me the CAA is equally strict on lap infants and that you must have a seat once a child has turned 2, what the op is referring to is does AA have the same policy on the seat at 'lap infant' prices or will they have to actually fly on a BA plane
Old Sep 12, 2013, 5:36 pm

Programs: Lots of them, no status
Under 2 on outbound, 2 years old on inbound

No, there is zero chance that AA has the same policy.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 7:05 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

I also just went through the online procedure for booking an infant on BA, once you've given them the infants date of birth it tells you that you'll have to phone up to complete the booking as children over the age of 2 require a seat

As for children's fares I've yet to see any offered on any US airline
Old Sep 13, 2013, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by Eclipsepearl

Twice I have heard announcements by US Airways about being prepared to provide proof of age for lap babies. These were flights to popular vacation destinations so I suspect they were "watching" for people sneaking kids on the plane that may have been past the cut off.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 8:11 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Lovethecabin
Twice I have heard announcements by US Airways about being prepared to provide proof of age for lap babies. These were flights to popular vacation destinations so I suspect they were "watching" for people sneaking kids on the plane that may have been past the cut off.
For international flights even a lap infant needs a ticket and a passport
Old Sep 14, 2013, 1:02 pm

Yes, it's a no-brainer on an in'tl flight when a passport is needed. The problem is that people can book on the net and then just show up at the airport. I believe you just tick a box saying you have a lap baby (??).

The OP obviously will have a passport for the child so the proof will be there. There's still the risk of showing up at the airport with an over-2 baby on the way back on an int'l flight. The risk is being charged the rack-rate at the airport, if there's even room.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by fredandgingermad
For international flights even a lap infant needs a ticket and a passport
I've seen no exceptions with regard to lap child tickets for international flights. [That is to say, all I've seen so far indicates lap child children on international flights are required to have a ticket -- even US-Canada flights.]

However, not all international flights -- lap child or otherwise -- require a passport for minors (even as most will need a passport or other proof of citizenship and/or ID for international flights); some international flight routes don't even require any ID whatsoever for most minor children, unless the airline chooses to make it a "requirement". [In other words, on some international routes, passport and/or citizenship/ID docs aren't required by governments for all minors traveling internationally. [That said, most international flight routes do require a passport and/or proof of ID/citizenship even of all minors.] That's according to how official policy is set up for routine practice. [In practice, there are more "exceptions", but some of those are irregularities rather than a function of designed policy for daily, repeated use.]
Old Sep 14, 2013, 2:49 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I've seen no exceptions with regard to lap child tickets for international flights. [That is to say, all I've seen so far indicates lap child children on international flights are required to have a ticket -- even US-Canada flights.]

However, not all international flights -- lap child or otherwise -- require a passport for minors (even as most will need a passport or other proof of citizenship and/or ID for international flights); some international flight routes don't even require any ID whatsoever for most minor children, unless the airline chooses to make it a "requirement". [In other words, on some international routes, passport and/or citizenship/ID docs aren't required by governments for all minors traveling internationally. [That said, most international flight routes do require a passport and/or proof of ID/citizenship even of all minors.] That's according to how official policy is set up for routine practice. [In practice, there are more "exceptions", but some of those are irregularities rather than a function of designed policy for daily, repeated use.]
For all flights departing UK airports (including domestic) even lap infants require photographic i.d at that age a passport is generally the only form of i.d available, so anyone flying into the UK would require a form of photographic i.d

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.