Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Issues involving children very near 2-year-old age cutoff

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Issues involving children very near 2-year-old age cutoff

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2013, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by fredandgingermad
It says on Iberia's website in the infant and children's information page that if your child turns 2 before they return home that they should be booked as a child for the entire trip. Have you tried contacting Iberia directly?
^

Yes, why not contact Iberia? I would be surprised if a seat doesn't open up on your flight home. You are just going to have to pay for it. It's possible they will take pity on you and let you change your family's flight home to a different date where there is better ticket availability.

Why do you think the airline should make an exception for you because you didn't read the rules?
Old Jul 8, 2013, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by Eclipsepearl
We did have this happen once. The mother was going home and her baby turned two during the visit. She didn't speak English. It was obvious that she wasn't trying to get away with anything. She just didn't know. The ground agents scrambled around and managed to get her child a free seat. Totally against the rules but we felt so badly for her!
I love stories like this. Restores your faith in humanity.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 8:16 pm

Programs: US Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Premium
Originally Posted by Anna Phor
I love stories like this. Restores your faith in humanity.
I agree, although I've had horrible customer service experiences with Iberia and just don't think they'd take the same approach. The OP in this situation is most likely going to have to pay for another ticket....or two. If he wants to fly out with his family on the same day and the flight is sold out then he'll have to consider another airline if Iberia doesn't have another flight out to his destination that day...with available seats.

Sorry OP! You and your family will get home, you just might have to pay a hefty price for another ticket or two. I suggest you go to the airport with your frequent flier numbers and knowledge or how many miles you have in your accounts. Maybe you can get one ticket with points if you have enough. Another idea is getting internet access (at a business center, for example, if you don't have a phone with international data) and skype with airline customer service agents in the US (if you have limited Spanish fluency) to see if you can resolve this before getting to the airport.

It would be helpful if airline computer systems had an alert when a customer pays for a ticket for an adult with an infant in arms. I doubt there are many passengers each year that come across this 2nd birthday mid-travel, but it would sure help avoid situations like this and keep passengers with kids informed of this important requirement.

Good luck and let us know what happens. Maybe Iberia customer service has turned a new leaf? (.....with the current economy, i really doubt it but there's always hope!)
Old Jul 8, 2013, 8:24 pm

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 12:24 am
Old Aug 29, 2013, 7:20 pm

Under 2 on outbound, 2 years old on inbound

Is there any way for my toddler to travel as a lap infant outbound and then just buy a separate return ticket as 2 year old? Or can you not book a 2 year old a ticket in it's own itinerary?

Also, if we just have to book him a ticket, do any airlines do discount fares for young children?

Thanks!
Old Aug 29, 2013, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Alana84
Is there any way for my toddler to travel as a lap infant outbound and then just buy a separate return ticket as 2 year old? Or can you not book a 2 year old a ticket in it's own itinerary?

Also, if we just have to book him a ticket, do any airlines do discount fares for young children?

Thanks!
BA I think allows lap infants who turn two midtrip but no one else.

Yes many airlines discount international tix for kid - just price it.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 1:14 am

Programs: United Plus
I heard Lufthansa did too.

It all depends on the airline you're flying (beware of code-shares!) The air authority of the country varies. On U.S. aircraft, a child has to have his or her own seat after the second birthday, no exceptions.

Some airlines allow for a lap baby on the way over and a "child" discount for a seat on the way back after the second birthday.

Recently a poster flew Iberia with a lap baby who turned two during the trip. Iberia's rules actually require a real seat going both ways!

This information should be on your airlines' webpage. As the Iberia passenger found out, when you book, you may not necessarily get any sort of pop-up or block if you book incorrectly so look it up first instead.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 8:04 am

Programs: DL gold, Marriott Platinum, UA silver
I have booked a child on their own PNR. I just choose adult from the drop down menus. None of the airlines we have flown give child or infant discounts so it hasn't mattered how I book them. I just input the correct birthday where required.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:31 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, Le Club Accor Gold
BA doesn't allow lap infants if they turn 2 mid-trip what they allow is their own seat at lap infant costs
Old Aug 30, 2013, 4:02 pm

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
You don't mention where you are flying, but the truth is, it may be cheaper to buy a round trip ticket than a one way ticket. A lot depends on the market. Plus if the child is that close to their second birthday, you are going to be a lot more comfortable with him/her in own seat rather than in lap- speaking from experience here!

You are allowed to purchase the 2 year old their own itinerary. How much explaining you'll have to do that they aren't *really* unaccompanied may depend on the airline/agent/etc.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 1:02 am

Under age 5 can't be unaccompanied (with a few exceptions but those are age 4).
Old Aug 31, 2013, 5:32 am

Programs: Lots of them, no status
Originally Posted by AsiaTraveler
You don't mention where you are flying, but the truth is, it may be cheaper to buy a round trip ticket than a one way ticket. A lot depends on the market. Plus if the child is that close to their second birthday, you are going to be a lot more comfortable with him/her in own seat rather than in lap- speaking from experience here!

You are allowed to purchase the 2 year old their own itinerary. How much explaining you'll have to do that they aren't *really* unaccompanied may depend on the airline/agent/etc.
I was going to say this all, as well. If my child was going to turn 2 during a trip, I can't imagine being so driven to still take the lap route one way that I would bother with a one-way ticket. The savings likely won't be half of a round-trip cost, and the small difference in $ between one-way lap/one-way seat and round-trip seat is priceless.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 7:26 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
I frequently have the kids on their own itineraries on Delta or KLM or AF and have never had an issue with that. Just seconding what others have said about checking the price.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 3:52 pm

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Eclipsepearl
Under age 5 can't be unaccompanied (with a few exceptions but those are age 4).
Yes, but if the child is on a separate itinerary, the child could look unaccompanied on paper even though they are not.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 1:59 am

I understand you can link the itineraries so it doesn't look that way. Some here have experience doing that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.