Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Questions on traveling with a 1-month-old

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2007, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM, working my way back up to AS and Marriott elite status post-baby!

Baby Flyer23 and I are gearing up for her first flight this Friday -- SJC-AUS, about 3.5 hours gate-to-gate. I'll be alone with her on the outbound leg (we're meeting Mr. Flyer23 in Austin and flying home with him), and I'm trying to figure out as much as possible ahead of time to ensure things go smoothly.

1. I'm nervous about the parking shuttle at SJC. I usually park at a private lot that uses vans to get to the terminal. Would it be rude to insist on buckling her carseat into one of the seatbelts, even though it will take a few minutes? I could also park at the airport long-term parking lot, which uses buses... would that be any easier/safer? Seems like it would be less egregious to NOT buckle her in on the bus, but really no safer in the event of an accident.

2. Can I carry her through security in a Moby Wrap? It's just a big piece of fabric, so nothing to set off the metal detectors, but I have a feeling TSA won't like that anyway...
2a. I'll also bring her carseat (she has a purchased seat on the flight) and a Snap-n-Go stroller frame. If I can't carry her through security in the wrap, does it make sense to bring the wrap at all? Or should I just put her in the stroller, which is easier to get her into/out of than the wrap?

3. I'm an Admirals Club member. Any issues bringing her into the AC? I know some of the ACs at DFW have kids areas, but the SJC AC is much smaller and usually full of business travelers... not sure if an infant would be welcome?

4. What if I have to go to the bathroom on the flight? Would the FAs be able to hold her for a moment, or would they consider that to be a liability or something?

5. Anyone happen to know if AA's MD-80s have changing tables in the lavs? (I've already read through the threads on changing diapers in seats and made the decision that I'll figure out SOME way to change her in the lav... just trying to figure out what the degree of difficulty will be )

6. How easy/hard is it to figure out how to strap the carseat into the airline seat? Does she go rear-facing or front-facing? I have a Graco Snugride infant seat, if it matters.

7. We'll be staying at a Fairfield Inn at our destination. Where should she sleep? I've heard scary things about hotel cribs? We also have a little fold-up infant travel bed that we could use... would you recommend that? At home, she spends her nights in a play yard that I could also fold up and bring along, but that seems like overkill for a 2-night trip.

Sorry for all the questions... nervous first-time mom here Any insight you could provide would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jul 18, 2007, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't answer all your questions, it's been a couple of years since my kids were little, but I have a few ideas.

1. I'm nervous about the parking shuttle at SJC. I usually park at a private lot that uses vans to get to the terminal. Would it be rude to insist on buckling her carseat into one of the seatbelts, even though it will take a few minutes?
Not rude at all and I never had a van or taxi driver give me grief about it.

2. Can I carry her through security in a Moby Wrap? It's just a big piece of fabric, so nothing to set off the metal detectors, but I have a feeling TSA won't like that anyway...
You used to be able too... not sure about now, but how would it be different than just carrying her which you have to do anyways.

2a. I'll also bring her carseat (she has a purchased seat on the flight) and a Snap-n-Go stroller frame. If I can't carry her through security in the wrap, does it make sense to bring the wrap at all? Or should I just put her in the stroller, which is easier to get her into/out of than the wrap?
Bring the wrap, especially if you have mastered nursing in it. I found my sling to be invaluable for discreet nursing in public.

4. What if I have to go to the bathroom on the flight? Would the FAs be able to hold her for a moment, or would they consider that to be a liability or something?
Some FA's will, some won't.

5. Anyone happen to know if AA's MD-80s have changing tables in the lavs? (I've already read through the threads on changing diapers in seats and made the decision that I'll figure out SOME way to change her in the lav... just trying to figure out what the degree of difficulty will be )
Yes they do, but honestly, a discreet change of a wet only diaper in the carseat is not going to bother anyone, it's the dirty ones that you'll need to go to the lav. for and that is no fun in any plane's bathroom! Bring your own changing pad for sure.

6. How easy/hard is it to figure out how to strap the carseat into the airline seat? Does she go rear-facing or front-facing? I have a Graco Snugride infant seat, if it matters.
I did mine rear-facing, exactly like it goes in your car. Piece of cake.

7. We'll be staying at a Fairfield Inn at our destination. Where should she sleep? I've heard scary things about hotel cribs? We also have a little fold-up infant travel bed that we could use... would you recommend that? At home, she spends her nights in a play yard that I could also fold up and bring along, but that seems like overkill for a 2-night trip.
Mine slept in their car seat at that age whenever we were traveling.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 18, 2007 at 7:48 am Reason: edited to make it easier to read
Old Jul 18, 2007, 9:39 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hilton Diamond
1. I'm nervous about the parking shuttle at SJC. I usually park at a private lot that uses vans to get to the terminal. Would it be rude to insist on buckling her carseat into one of the seatbelts, even though it will take a few minutes? I could also park at the airport long-term parking lot, which uses buses... would that be any easier/safer? Seems like it would be less egregious to NOT buckle her in on the bus, but really no safer in the event of an accident.
It should only take you a minute to install a snugride, it's super easy, so they shouldn't have any problem with it. Just ask nicely!

When I flew with my 13 month old about a month ago, they let me keep him on my back in his Ergo through security. According to TSA in DEN (where I had already taken him off before they told me), it's a fairly new policy that as long as the carrier doesn't have any metal, you can leave baby in it through the WTMD.

Especially with one so little, there's bound to be at least one baby-loving FA who would LOVE to hold her while you use the lav. And, if they happen to all be busy or just not very nice, I've used the restroom many a time with my son in his carrier. It's not ideal, but it works.

I don't know about that particular a/c, but I have yet to be on a flight where there was a changing table in the lav, and we've flown with 6 or 7 round trips since our son was born. I found some disposable changing pads
so that I didn't have to pull my big changing pad out of the diaper bag, and also could throw them away after they were on the nastiness of the toilet seat. Since your little one is so small, you can also probably fit her on your lap to change the diaper while you sit on the toilet.

Simple, simple, simple. Practice installing the snugride in your car without the base a few times before you go. The snugride is SO easy to install using just the belt, and especially with a lapbelt only, as there will be on the plane. You should always install a carseat on an airplane the same way you would in a car, so rearfacing only for an infant seat. The problems start arising when you have a convertible seat that you want to keep rearfacing and the FA tells you that it has to be forwardfacing. That happened to me on my last flight, but luckily I was able to convince the FA that my son was not big enough to go forward facing yet (not that I'm turning him around for quite some time yet anyway).

If you have a fold-up bed, that sounds like a decent solution, although I've never seen one. I think most hotels use pack-n-plays for their cribs these days, and most are pretty new because they don't get a ton of use. You might just want to call the hotel and see what they use. I would be ok with using a hotel pack-n-play, but would probably bring my own sheets. I probably wouldn't bring my own pack-n-play for only two nights, especially if you have to get yourself and all your stuff to the airport on the way out. In a pinch, I probably would go with the carseat.

Hope that helps a little!
Old Jul 19, 2007, 8:45 am

Programs: CO
I hope you get someone like me near your seat. I love kids, am looking forward to my own kids making me a grandmother, and have held babies for parents so they could eat, go to the bathroom, etc. whenever I've been in a position to help. I've even played games with toddlers to let the parents go to the bathroom. It's safe for the parents, because where am I going to go with them on a plane at 30,000 feet? I don't even mind the odd accidental seat-kick (not non-stop, please!) and prefer sitting in front of a little one since I have to recline because of my back.

Of course, like a true grandmother, I hand them back when I get tired, because I've been there, done that, and have the t-shirt already!
Old Jul 19, 2007, 4:29 pm

Location: DEN (Boulder) ~ UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, US Gold, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, LH SEN
Programs: Hyatt, United, Starwood, USAir, Marriott, Lufthansa, Hilton
Congratulations!!!

Since I am a UAL flyer, I cannot answer the AA questions.

First off, congratulations and the best thing you can do is get out there immediately. It seems dawning, but the best thing I can tell is this is the easiest!!! I hate to tell you it only gets harder, until it gets easier. By then you might be pregnant with #2!

Baby Flyer23 and I are gearing up for her first flight this Friday -- SJC-AUS, about 3.5 hours gate-to-gate. I'll be alone with her on the outbound leg (we're meeting Mr. Flyer23 in Austin and flying home with him), and I'm trying to figure out as much as possible ahead of time to ensure things go smoothly.

Please make this as easy as you can afford. If you can afford to park without a shuttle, trust me it will help. Again, this is probably the easiest, but you might want to consider parking without a shuttle when you don't have the fun, nice, sleepy, easy days of the Snap and Go! Please, please, please do not give that up until you have to. And most important, teach your kid how nice a stroller is. It is containment for you!

But to answer your question...your child's safety comes before everything else. Do you KNOW that the bus has belts? I think you do since it sounds like you have been on board before, but all of ours are similar to Hertz with no belts. You might consider putting baby into its car seat, click car seat into Snap and Go (SnG), putting all brakes on SnG and holding SnG with both hands, otherwise.

You can carry her at that age, so I honestly think you can. However, strollers are my expertise. I never owned a sling or anything to hold the baby besides my two arms, which is why they always were in their strollers.

I would skip the wrap, but that is only because I never used one. I am always curious...why did you go with the Snap and Go, versus the cheapest Graco actual stroller, which she could just lay back and sleep in. They did not have the Snap when I was in Europe with my first, but it does not seem any smaller than the cheap Graco I had, that actually was a stroller as well?

3. I'm an Admirals Club member. Any issues bringing her into the AC? I know some of the ACs at DFW have kids areas, but the SJC AC is much smaller and usually full of business travelers... not sure if an infant would be welcome?

To my knowledge, kids are always welcome. You might get a dirty stare during your tenure in your new "position", but that is life.

I would say, you quickly learn how to sit and go while holding the baby in your lap. Trust me, you are going to learn that fast enough!!!

Takes practice. It goes backwards and you can practice at home in your car. I am assuming you currently LATCH the base into your car. If you do, just follow the directions on how to take the lap belt and install the base that way. If you need help, email me and I will walk you through it. Maybe we should set up all of these steps into an ongoing thread. If you are NOT taking the base, it is a little wobbly, but you basically thread the belt through those on the top of the car seat, still backwards.

Were you taking the base?

Take the infant bed!!! I did that and we celebrated my 1st baby's 1 month birthday in a hotel. He was sleeping in it until we moved "home" to Germany at 6 weeks and loved it. I would NOT bring the PnP (Pack and Play), but how about a PnP sheet, so at least you know where that has been? I don't get too, too, too concerned. You know Marriott takes care of there stuff!

Sorry for all the questions... nervous first-time mom here Any insight you could provide would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jul 19, 2007, 4:39 pm

Location: DEN (Boulder) ~ UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, US Gold, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, LH SEN
Programs: Hyatt, United, Starwood, USAir, Marriott, Lufthansa, Hilton
She had some really great suggestions...

Quote:

When I flew with my 13 month old about a month ago, they let me keep him on my back in his Ergo through security. According to TSA in DEN (where I had already taken him off before they told me), it's a fairly new policy that as long as the carrier doesn't have any metal, you can leave baby in it through the WTMD.

This is a super great answer. I would just add that if you can go onto www.tsa.gov and get it in writing, it might save you a second of a hastle. Which is a SUPER BIG deal with a sleeping baby. Trust us, we have been there!

Quote:

I don't know about that particular a/c, but I have yet to be on a flight where there was a changing table in the lav, and we've flown with 6 or 7 round trips since our son was born. I found some disposable changing pads
so that I didn't have to pull my big changing pad out of the diaper bag, and also could throw them away after they were on the nastiness of the toilet seat. Since your little one is so small, you can also probably fit her on your lap to change the diaper while you sit on the toilet.

GREAT ANSWER. I forgot about this, but seriously go to the store and buy them. Huggies makes them and always has coupons. Great idea and I did this so many times. Great for the hotel too!!!
Old Jul 19, 2007, 5:13 pm

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
Originally Posted by Flyer23
Rule #1: RELAX! If baby senses your fear/nerves/unease about this she won't be happy either. Not that you'll exude that but FYI.

We've done both with BabyJ--strapped him (van style shuttles) in and also just sat him on the seat in between us (bus style shuttles that didn't have seatbelts). Either way, the driver shouldn't hassle you.

Depends on your airport. As was stated before, you should be able to keep her wrapped especially if it's all fabric. I will admit that many times the folks at DEN have been much more helpful and reasonable when it came to people traveling with babies.

You'll need to collapse the stroller/frame down to send it through the x-ray. The carrier goes through as well. But still bring the wrap because even if you can't wear it with her at the WTMD you can certainly use it everywhere else inside the airport.

Children are always welcome, as are well-behaved adults

Most will be happy to hold her. Being such a "pretty boy" (that's not me boasting, plenty of people--all women--have said so) BabyJ was carried up and down many an aircraft aisles by FAs who were taking a break! If you have the one or two who won't, they can stand in the aisle near your set to keep an eye on her.

Yes, I think they have the ones that are attached to the outer wall above the toilet. If yours doesn't have one, you can use the less-than-ideal method: lower the toilet lid, place the carrier on top then use a changing pad on top of the carrier.

Easy peasy. You mount the carrier in the same fashion as you would in a car. If she's rear facing (at age 1 she should be) in a car then place her rear facing on an airplane. Note that there's no law that says she has to be rear facing on the plane. Just a rule of thumb.

For the Graco there are two slots on either side of the carrier near the pivot for the handle. Those are the seatbelt slots and that's how you would affix the carrier into a car without a base. The same applies to an airplane.

Most hotels are using Pack-n-Play or equivalents but there are some that don't...Westin uses their Heavenly Crib ^ and others use, well, let's just say at one hotel I was reminded of a Russian orphanage! Yeah, he slept in the bed with us that night. That being said, most Marriott properties do well with cribs. We stayed at a Residence Inn for 2 months using our own PnP and they would make up his crib as well as the bed. The one thing they asked was to not mix up his sheets and blanket with other bedding as they segregate all baby bedding from regular laundry and wash them in Ivory Snow! ^^

Those fold-up deals are great! I wish they were out when BabyJ was an infant. Instead, I got the Graco Travel Lite crib which is 30% smaller and lighter than a full sized PnP. It was a cinch to fold up and toss into a duffel bag for transport on the plane.

Have a great flight and let us know how it worked out.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 5:22 pm

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
Originally Posted by BoulderHyattHopper

GREAT ANSWER. I forgot about this, but seriously go to the store and buy them. Huggies makes them and always has coupons. Great idea and I did this so many times. Great for the hotel too!!!
Whenever we stop by Park Meadows or Cherry Creek in Denver, MrsJ always swipes 3 or 4 of the disposable changing pads they provide in the family rooms. I didn't know this until she asked if there was a changing area in the men's room; there was and so she asked me to go get her a couple of pads. Huh, she'd already changed him. Then she told me what she was doing! But she gets them to use on trips. And those pads are NICE! Extra thick cloth-like paper material with a thin plastic backing to make it waterproof and folded to about 5"x7" ^
Old Jul 19, 2007, 7:34 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jonesing
Whenever we stop by Park Meadows or Cherry Creek in Denver, MrsJ always swipes 3 or 4 of the disposable changing pads they provide in the family rooms. I didn't know this until she asked if there was a changing area in the men's room; there was and so she asked me to go get her a couple of pads. Huh, she'd already changed him. Then she told me what she was doing! But she gets them to use on trips. And those pads are NICE! Extra thick cloth-like paper material with a thin plastic backing to make it waterproof and folded to about 5"x7" ^
Hmmm, I never noticed that! I will have to check it out when I go shopping next week!
Old Jul 19, 2007, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM, working my way back up to AS and Marriott elite status post-baby!
Originally Posted by BoulderHyattHopper
I would skip the wrap, but that is only because I never used one. I am always curious...why did you go with the Snap and Go, versus the cheapest Graco actual stroller, which she could just lay back and sleep in. They did not have the Snap when I was in Europe with my first, but it does not seem any smaller than the cheap Graco I had, that actually was a stroller as well?
We actually did both We got the Snugride as part of a travel system that includes a full-size stroller (Metrolite). I love that stroller... which is why I'm not subjecting it to airline baggage handlers We got the Snap-n-Go for $5 at a garage sale, so if anything happens to it, I won't be distraught. The Metrolite, on the other hand, was a gift from my parents and would be in the neighborhood of $100 to replace.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions on the disposable changing pads! Actually, from your descriptions, I think they gave me a couple at the hospital -- or, at least, something close enough to them to work. They're disposable pads with a fabric-like material on top and a blue plastic backing. So I'll throw a few of those in... I have a changing pad in my diaper bag, of course, but I hadn't thought about the fact that I probably didn't want even just the back of that to touch anything in an airport lav

I'm planning to do some last-minute practice with the Snugride and no base before leaving for the airport tomorrow

I'll definitely report back on how it goes!
Old Jul 20, 2007, 6:41 am

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott Silver, HH Silver
Originally Posted by Flyer23
Thanks everyone for the suggestions on the disposable changing pads! Actually, from your descriptions, I think they gave me a couple at the hospital -- or, at least, something close enough to them to work. They're disposable pads with a fabric-like material on top and a blue plastic backing.
We found they were cheaper in the "incontinence" aisle rather than the "baby" aisle. Also, bigger.

One, er, two last things...and this SO goes against the grain. You're going to have your hands full with baby, diaper bag, stroller, and car seat. Check any additional stuff. (If you were traveling with another adult and another set of hands, you could probably handle the luggage.)

Nurse, give the baby a bottle, or provide a pacifier during take-off and landing. This will help BabyFlyer23's ears.

RDUWanderer
Old Jul 23, 2007, 1:00 am
Original Poster

We're back. We survived

Overall, everything went very smoothly. It was challenging for me to switch from "business traveler" mode to "parent" mode -- things that used to be so simple for me (like clearing security, or heck, packing!) now just take a little longer. I had to take a few deep breaths and have a little more patience, but I'm starting to operate on baby-time now

The other thing I learned was that babies this young get overstimulated really easily. Baby Flyer23 is usually pretty easygoing, but she had two meltdowns over the course of the weekend, unusual for her. (Luckily, neither meltdown was on the plane!) I think it was just all the new people and new experiences, and Mommy being too distracted by everything else going on to notice her "I'm tired, please put me down for a nap" cues until it was WAY too late. So that's something for me to work on during our next trip... which is coming up real soon, to Dallas in about two weeks

To answer my own questions...

1. No issues at all with the parking shuttle. I was able to buckle Baby Flyer23 in quickly. The shuttle drivers were exceptionally helpful with my baggage so that I could deal with her.

2. At SJC on the outbound, she was asleep in the carseat so I didn't wake her up to put her in the Moby. At AUS on the return, I carried her through in the Moby with no problems.
2a. It made a TON of sense to bring the Moby, even on the outbound, because being carried in it puts her right to sleep A few minutes spent walking around the terminal just before boarding with her in the Moby made the first minutes on the plane very peaceful...

3. We went into the AC in SJC and AUS. No problems at all. The SJC AC has a lovely changing table in the restroom, so they must be OK with kids (didn't check to see if AUS had one as well)

4. I didn't have to go to the bathroom, whew! But there were FAs on both legs who seemed very baby-friendly, so I doubt it would've been an issue.

5. The Y lav on the DEF side has a changing table. The F lav does not. Not sure about the Y lav on the AB side.

6. No problems figuring out how to buckle in the carseat. The only problem that did come up was on the outbound flight. I was in Y, and with the Snugride in place, it was impossible for the person in front of me to recline his seat. He complained about this to the FA, who handled the situation extremely poorly (IMO) and basically said, "There is nothing I can do. You can go to AA.com and complain. Next time, talk to the gate agent ahead of time." (Like the GA would magically know that the person behind him was an infant in a carseat that would keep his seat from reclining???) When he rang his call button a few minutes later and complained again, the FA said, "Do we need to make an unscheduled stop to let you off?" to which the pax replied, "Maybe we do." He started ranting and raving about how he was on meds and just wanted to sleep, etc. etc. Another FA finally stepped in to diffuse the situation, which had a very simple solution: We just swapped my row with his. (The window seat in front of the angry pax was occupied by a small child who did not need to recline.) Luckily, the passenger's anger was directed entirely at the FAs and not at me or Baby Flyer23, so it was OK, just a little uncomfortable. Lesson learned: Ask for the bulkhead if possible!

On the flight home, we were in F (upgrades cleared!) and so switching to the bulkhead was not an option. Fortunately, the passenger in front of Baby Flyer23 never tried to recline -- it looked like he would've been able to go a few inches back, but not all the way.

7. I did bring the travel bed. It came in handy because we ended up spending one night at friend's house. At the Fairfield Inn, I requested a crib so I could see what it looked like. It was indeed a pack-n-play style crib and it looked perfectly safe. I used the travel bed again, though, because it was really hard to get such a tiny infant (who can't sit up or stand) in and out of the PNP, because the bottom of the PNP is so deep. (In her PNP at home, we have a bassinet attachment, so she's much higher up and easier to reach.)
FYI, here's the travel bed we have: http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...GGHQ&bckreg=lc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.