Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Which airlines provide baby bassinet on Transatlantic Flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2007, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF

My colleague is going to fly from Belgium to the US (NYC/WAS/CHI) with his wife and his 3-month old baby.

Obviously, he would prefer to have the baby in a bassinet (attached to the bulkhead) rather than on the lap.

Do all airlines offer baby bassinets? In particular, AA would have the best connections/price, what is their policy?

How much extra does it cost to have a baby on board? Is there a difference between lap and bassinet?

Neither my colleague nor his wife have status on any airline.

Thanks for any answers - or hints where we can find more information.

SmilingBoy.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
My colleague is going to fly from Belgium to the US (NYC/WAS/CHI) with his wife and his 3-month old baby.

Obviously, he would prefer to have the baby in a bassinet (attached to the bulkhead) rather than on the lap.

Do all airlines offer baby bassinets? In particular, AA would have the best connections/price, what is their policy?

How much extra does it cost to have a baby on board? Is there a difference between lap and bassinet?

Neither my colleague nor his wife have status on any airline.

Thanks for any answers - or hints where we can find more information.

SmilingBoy.

Your chances of getting a bulkhead seat on US carriers are limited - but much better on EU carriers. BA and KL are especially good in my experience in providing bassinets. On the other hand a direct flight is also worth something - I would only tranfer in Amsterdam with a baby if coming from Brussels.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 10:12 am

Programs: Various
USAir flies from Brussels to PHL, and I have seen them install a bassinet for a passenger on that route (on a PHL-Brussels leg).

Cheers!
Old Jun 25, 2007, 12:06 pm

AA do provide a bassinet (only one per plane) on 767 and 777s (i.e. all flights to/from BRU), but you can't reserve it in advance. We've used it and it was great; our 7 month old slept almost the entire LHR-BOS flight.

Infant-in-lap fares generally cost 10% of the standard coach fare, and there's not usually an extra charge for a bassinet.

Personally, and will all other things being equal, I think I'd take a decent connection in AMS or even LHR or CDG in return for a pre-reserved bassinet over the Atlantic, but a non-stop flight is pretty nice too...

Michael
Old Jun 26, 2007, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, SPG GLD
Swiss had ample bassinets (and pre-reservation availability) when we brought our adopted son from overseas. It had a diaper/accessory kit that was quite helpful. As an earlier poster indicated, 10 percent fare is standard, with no additional charge for the bassinet.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 12:50 am

Programs: AA, CO, DL, KE Morning Calm, OZ Gold, UA
I think it depends more on the actual aircraft type more than the airline.
I would look at flight times, connections and price to narrow my choices down to 2 or 3, and then call the airline to see if they have bassinets on those planes.

We usually book the flights first through Expedia, CO.com, etc.for the best price, then call the airline and try to reserve the bassinet seats. Usually we get them, but not always.

Regardless I'd take a more direct flight w/o over bad connections with a bassinet.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Thanks for all your comments. I will pass them on to my colleague.

SmilingBoy.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Richard60
I think it depends more on the actual aircraft type more than the airline.
I would look at flight times, connections and price to narrow my choices down to 2 or 3, and then call the airline to see if they have bassinets on those planes.

We usually book the flights first through Expedia, CO.com, etc.for the best price, then call the airline and try to reserve the bassinet seats. Usually we get them, but not always.

Regardless I'd take a more direct flight w/o over bad connections with a bassinet.
The airline you pick matters a lot - some will confirm bassinets at time of booking - others will bump pax without infants from the relevant bulkhead seats. I know of no US carrier that confirms bassinets at the time of booking and for this reason think you'd be better off avoiding them.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 9:07 am

Programs: BA
BA provide bassinets at the time of booking IIRC, and a call to the Service Centre will soon confirm this to put your mind at rest. VS do not have bassinets in all classes on all AC, whereas BA do (longhaul). Other European airlines I'm not sure about. We always take BA. Personally having done this, I would prefer a connection with a guaranteed bassinet than a direct flight without - although it does depend a bit on the flight duration and time of day - if you don't want/need them to nap on the flight etc.

EB
Old Jul 5, 2007, 1:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
UA has bassinets also on its 767 (which is what they use from Brussels to DC) free of charge (edited to add, they do charge 10% of an adult fare for the privilege of carrying a baby on lap, but the bassinet option is no extra cost after paying the 10%), which can be obtained at time of reservation. If go UA route I'd suggest phoning in the reservation to get that done in parallel rather than book online and then try for it.

Originally Posted by united.com
Bassinets:
Bassinets are provided, free of charge, on all international aircraft (747, 767 and 777). When confirming your reservations, you may request a seat in an appropriate location for bassinet usage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.