Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

To Car Seat or Not To Car Seat, That is the Question...[Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To Car Seat or Not To Car Seat, That is the Question...[Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2007, 6:11 pm

Location: DEN (Boulder) ~ UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, US Gold, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, LH SEN
Programs: Hyatt, United, Starwood, USAir, Marriott, Lufthansa, Hilton
What I have been told:

FAA requires that a car seat NOT obstruct another passenger. Yes, the infant reverse always obstructs, but the Britax Marathon is so large it does as well. Therefore, officially it must be in the window, if there is no middle section (a widebody). We have explained that we want husband-carseatchild-wife with car seat in between us, that we would never run off plane without child anyhow. Some FA's agree, some stick to the rules.

E-mail me directly and I will show you how to attach a roll-a-board to a Britax Marathon with the add-a-bag strap without buying anything extra. Don't throw it on your back, you will die. Just push a stroller with one hand, drage roll-a-board with Marathon attached with the other.

If I can figure out how to send all of you a picture of it, just let me know how to do it and I will send it to everyone!!!
Old Jul 16, 2007, 6:13 pm

Location: DEN (Boulder) ~ UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, US Gold, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, LH SEN
Think of the kiddo...

Think your child and how much the child will be restrained. No trying to get out of the very easy lap belt for a very smart 1 year old!!!

Your child will likely fall asleep easier and you can use the "sides" of the Britax headrest to create a little black out tent...
Old Jul 16, 2007, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
We traveled PIT-DEN-HNL-KOA-OGG-HNL-DEN-PIT with our 1-yr-old two years ago and it wasn't a big deal. HI rules require anyone under 4 to be in a car seat, so the hassle of carrying it on the plane is offset by the cost of a rental. A few aiport carts took care of carrying heavy items, including the car seat.

We also had a 6-yr-old in tow. And we're doing it again this summer (PIT-PHX-LIH-OGG-HNL-PHX-PIT)

Last edited by CPRich; Jul 16, 2007 at 6:49 pm
Old Jul 16, 2007, 7:39 pm

HI rules...

CPRich...

We have not gone to HI since having kids, but that is really interesting. The flight across the Pacific to HI can you get away without the car seat? I never would, but just curious.

BHH

BTW, my dad (IndyHyattHopper) is so jealous of your moniker, since his name is rich and he is a US CP.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 6:10 pm

We also use the Marathon, and took it with us until our daughter was 2. I think 1 yr is a little young for the flight w/o a car seat. We only stopped when she was two, as we recently flew on Alitalia and they dont even allow car seats. So, we tested it out on a shorter flight (ord - phx) (daughter was 2) and it worked well. We will now check the car seat and let her sit buckled in.

I guess there are pros and cons to both...just what you feel comfortable as a parent.

We use the Eddie Bauer bag to carry the seat. It's nylon, inexpensive and has a strap. Not great for long treks, but seems to do the job
Old Jul 23, 2007, 1:05 am

We have the gogobabyz wheels for our Marathons and I highly recommend it. It took us from double stroller + 2 carseats strapped on like backpacks (if you lengthen the straps you can just put it on your back) to just the kids in the two carseats wheeling through the airport with us carrying shoulder bags. You can even (fairly safely) take them on escalators!

I have had success not taking the gogobabyz wheels off when putting them in seats on various planes, although you must take them off when putting them in a car (it's not crash tested with the wheels on and when you feel how flimsy it is you will see why). That means spending 2-3 minutes per seat when you get to the rental car and on the return.

We are also big believers that the kids will sleep better in a carseat. Plus having it with you means you always have it on the other end for the rental car.

I did have one horror episode on a CRJ where i got the belt so tight in through the seat that the pilot had to disconnect one side of the seatbelt after I fought it for 20 minutes. Now I learned my lesson: don't pass the seatbelt through the same path you would in the car, pass it around the back of the seat, through the steel bars, but not through the seat.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 10:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Don't let anyone scare you into using a car seat on an airplane. If you find it convenient, by all means use one. It is by no means necessary for a child's safety, however.

See http://www.faa.gov/passengers/images/MedArticle.pdf
Old Jul 23, 2007, 3:11 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hertz Plat
Originally Posted by dhuey
Don't let anyone scare you into using a car seat on an airplane. If you find it convenient, by all means use one. It is by no means necessary for a child's safety, however.

See http://www.faa.gov/passengers/images/MedArticle.pdf
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, the study does NOT state that child restraints are unnecessary for a child's safety in a crash. (I wish that was true. It would silence the vocal minority who pop up at any mention of lap children.)

Its conclusions are that the additional cost of the seat for the child may turn some families to drive rather than fly, which would result in a net increased chance of injuries to children due to the increases risk of driving per mile compared to flying.

In short, it IS better for a flying child to have a restraint, but accidents in flying are infrequent per mile traveled, so the risk is low compared to driving.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by jsgoldbe
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, the study does NOT state that child restraints are unnecessary for a child's safety in a crash. (I wish that was true. It would silence the vocal minority who pop up at any mention of lap children.)...
No, that's my conclusion based on the raw data that study presents. The possibility that a car seat would prevent a death or serious injury to a child in an aircraft is so remote that it's difficult to measure. There are only a handful of incidents in the entire history of commercial aviation where there was any such potential benefit.

The study shows that the additional risk of not having a car seat is about a 1 in 10 million chance of death or serious injury to the lap child. Anyone who says they'll gladly pay several hundred dollars to avoid a 1 in 10 million risk fails to appreciate how that extra money could almost certainly be used to protect the child from a far more likely risk.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 7:35 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hertz Plat
Originally Posted by dhuey
No, that's my conclusion based on the raw data that study presents. The possibility that a car seat would prevent a death or serious injury to a child in an aircraft is so remote that it's difficult to measure.
I am totally with you on this point. Planes are very, very safe. Now, not wearing a helmet on a motorcycle ... that's just dumb.

My 14 month old is a happy lap child. ^
Old Jul 24, 2007, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by jsgoldbe
...Now, not wearing a helmet on a motorcycle ... that's just dumb. ...
Many would say that about riding a motorcycle with a helmet. But hey, I'd imagine it's a rush, and that's worth a lot to some people.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 4:39 am

Carseat or no carseat for 20 month old? HELP!

Hello everyone,

I am travelling alone with my 20 month old son from the UK to Australia in November. I booked us both a seat with Korean Air from Heathrow because this was much cheaper than Singapore Airlines from Manchester. I know feel sick because I couldn't resist seeing how much the Singapore flight was from Manchester today and it is now the same price as the ticket I bought already! Oh well, I am a travel agent so I should know better than to look after I have booked as prices do change. The only way round it is to part with Ł600 (about $1200), which I could use my savings for but seems such a shame.

Anyhow, I have got to take the National Express (like Grayhound) from home to Heathrow, which adds 8 hours on to an already long journey. Car seats are not allowed on the buses so it would have to go in the luggage compartment, but there is a strict rule on how much luggage can be taken. Also, how am I going to manage at Heathrow, Seoul and Sydney? Even after I have checked my hold baggae in, I will still have a changing bag, hand luggage, a toddler, a stoller and a huge upright car seat right up until I board. It simply isn't possible is it?

So, does anyone have any experience of travelling with a 20 month old or similar aged child with no car seat. I am not worried about safety because I will have him on my lap with a baby belt on take-off and landing and in any turbulence. My main concern is do they sit still with the lap belt on or do they struggle and fidget? My son knows that when he is restrained in his car seat, he must sit still and eat / play / read / sleep. The idea of a car seat feels like bliss but I don't know how I can do it.

I have seen the Sit n Stroll and I am tempted but it will cost about $400 including shipping to the UK and even though it is FAA approved, I have read a few too many stories about it not fitting into aircraft seats.

Can anyone help? This is supposed to be a relaxing break and whilst I knew the journey would be difficult, it is turning into an absolute nightmare! Any suggestions gratefully received! x
Old Sep 26, 2007, 7:30 am

Try this: http://www.kidsflysafe.com/
Old Oct 1, 2007, 4:16 pm

hi there.

my first piece of advice: stop worrying about the flights, airlines etc. (if you have the money and want to change it, ok, but if not, forget it).

i bet you will have a lovely time and so will toddler, but i am not sure i would imagine it to be a relaxing break.

if it were me, and i was a nervous travler with little ones, i would write out each leg of journey and the issue, solutions, greatest fears, etc. maybe that will help clarify what to do. then i would call the bus comany and see if the car seat could be taken. my kids were always happier (and i felt better) knowoing they were belted into carseat in the plane.

in terms of the airports, i don't know what types you are using, but i always looped the carseat onto the stroller handle. amde for a wide girth, and was very tippy but at least i could walk thru an airport. (used to do it with two carseats, one over each handle of doulbe stroller, too)

could you put the toddler on your back in backpack? that works in airports, tho with all the stuff, i think you will be more comfy with stroller.

on the plane, most toddlers find sitting a long time rather boring. probably they would fidget with or without car seat. perhaps you can convince him that his seatbelt is a plane carseat so he has to sit nicely in it. in any case, bring as much stuff and food and changes of clothes for both of you as you can carry. especially new things, ideally inexpensive so if they get lost/left on plane, it is no big deal. and be prepared to walk with him in the plane--i always said that once my son and i walked to heathrow from israel, all the while at 30,000 ft .

but one other thing: i have encountered unknowlegable FAs who refused to let me use the carseat that i had shlepped along.

have a wonderful time!!
Old Oct 1, 2007, 5:42 pm

Programs: LH SEN
I use this car seat bag/backpack and I find it extremely helpful:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...580218-8507204

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.