Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Diaper Duty in seat 18B...Ridiculous???

Old Jan 12, 06, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

I was in a public metro place (The Toronto Zoo) today and noticed in one of the food court places one mother changing her baby on one of the seats in the cafeteria. She was doing it so that her back was covering the view and trying to be discrete. Is this acceptable? I was going to ask "If she could find a better place for that" but decided against it. She, along with at least 3-4 women were also breast feeding their children, also discretly but still I was able to determine what they were doing.

So, should parents be able to change their baby's diapers in a place like this? There was a washroom right out side of the building with child changing tables.
Old Jan 12, 06, 4:57 pm
nfc

Programs: AA PLT; Marriott PLT; Priority Club - Gold
Changing diapers where people are eating is a pretty gross. Lots of germs and always the potential for the little tyke to have an unforseen event sans diaper. It's nice to hear that the parent was at least trying to be discrete. I've seen parents change kids on the eating surface. However, they should find a bathroom or an area away from where people are eating to take care of business.

As for public breastfeeding, no problem with it what so ever. It's a natural thing. As long as it's discrete, what's the big deal. I'm more bothered by mothers that do breastfeed in public and then ask men to move away because they feel uncomfortable. I have a friend's wife that does this and it irritates me to no end.
Old Jan 12, 06, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Please do not change your baby's diapers in an eating area!!! I don't care to smell it, think about it, see it, etc. Use the restroom to change any diapers, please. Ew, just thinking about it is disgusting. I'm guessing they'd have to use a baby wipe on their hands, as opposed to washing them. Yuck...
Old Jan 12, 06, 5:28 pm

Programs: alaska mp
i have no problem with women breastfeeding in public. some women has mastered the art so that no one is even aware of what they're doing.

but for the diapers...eeewww....i had a women change her baby's diaper on the table in the restaurant where i work. i didn't notice it until i walked up to them with my all their food. imagine my horror when i saw the dirty diaper on the table and hearing the mom tell me to go ahead and put the food down.

*shudders*
Old Jan 12, 06, 8:37 pm
J-M

It is unacceptable to change your child anywhere near an eating area. Shows a total lack of consideration for others...
Old Jan 12, 06, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's absolutely disgusting and unsanitary. This stuff belongs in bathrooms only.

Honestly, I really cannot understand why someone would think it's appropriate to be doing this in public at all, let alone in a place where food is served. Yuck!
Old Jan 12, 06, 9:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I'm typically sympathetic to the parents, but I must agree that this is inconsiderate. I don't think it is necessarily unsanitary (it depends on what kind of diaper change we're talking about, as well as the technique). Still, it is very unappetizing for the mother's fellow restaurant patrons.
Old Jan 12, 06, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
Human feces should not be proximate to human food. Only stupid people would think otherwise.
Old Jan 13, 06, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wouldn't categorically object to changing diapers in public--there might not be a convenient restroom. However in an eating area is another matter and you say there were changing tables nearby. (Note, however, that there might have been something wrong with them.)

Breastfeeding I have no problem with whatsoever. I don't even care if she's not discreet about it.
Old Jan 13, 06, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notsoFT
but for the diapers...eeewww....i had a women change her baby's diaper on the table in the restaurant where i work. i didn't notice it until i walked up to them with my all their food. imagine my horror when i saw the dirty diaper on the table and hearing the mom tell me to go ahead and put the food down.

*shudders*
Ewww.... Please tell me they either took the diaper with them or threw it out in the restroom. I really hope they didn't expect you to dispose of it for them.

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I wouldn't categorically object to changing diapers in public--there might not be a convenient restroom. However in an eating area is another matter and you say there were changing tables nearby. (Note, however, that there might have been something wrong with them.)

Breastfeeding I have no problem with whatsoever. I don't even care if she's not discreet about it.
Having done enough shopping, etc. with friends' kids, if there's not a changing table in the restroom, you use one of two options. One is to use the space between sinks, if the sinks are connected. The other is to use the floor. This, while a last resort, should be used rather than an eating area. Every diaper bag I've packed or seen has included a changing pad. While not wonderful to use the floor, it's better than an eating table. Dirty diapers and food do just not go together.
Old Jan 13, 06, 6:47 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by nfc
As for public breastfeeding, no problem with it what so ever. It's a natural thing. As long as it's discrete, what's the big deal.
Of course conception is a natural thing too, but I'm not sure that it will gain public acceptance quite as quickly as breastfeeding .
Old Jan 13, 06, 8:14 am
SWG

Originally Posted by kipper
Dirty diapers and food do just not go together.
Absolutely correct. Read about pinworms and you'll cringe everytime you see a diaper being changed or some kid scratching themselves down there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinworms
Old Jan 13, 06, 8:28 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AY, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
I've seen this happen on the floor of an airport lounge as well. BTW one of these lounges that don't have toilets.
Old Jan 13, 06, 9:03 am

How about changing the baby on the floor in a store? Yep, been there, saw that. Still can't believe it to this day.

And yes, the mom left the dirty diaper in the aisle. (Clean up on Aisle 2!)
Old Jan 13, 06, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SWG
Absolutely correct. Read about pinworms and you'll cringe everytime you see a diaper being changed or some kid scratching themselves down there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinworms
Yuck! I just think, "who would want to eat right next to baby poo?"

Originally Posted by tsastor
I've seen this happen on the floor of an airport lounge as well. BTW one of these lounges that don't have toilets.
They couldn't leave the airport lounge to get to a toilet? Did they at least find a corner and try to hide it?

Originally Posted by El Cochinito
How about changing the baby on the floor in a store? Yep, been there, saw that. Still can't believe it to this day.

And yes, the mom left the dirty diaper in the aisle. (Clean up on Aisle 2!)
That's disgusting... If you have to change your kid, at least take the diaper to the garbage and dispose of it properly. Don't make some stranger deal with it.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: