Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Diaper Duty in seat 18B...Ridiculous???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diaper Duty in seat 18B...Ridiculous???

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2006, 8:00 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by J-M
I sure as hell hope you know that other adult... you'd better not be asking this of your seatmates if you aren't travelling together!!!
come on J-M!
You know I would only ask you to be the lap for the diaper change. You would happily help, I'm sure
hey...I'd pay you to do your circus act in the bathroom with the kid!
LOL
Old Jan 17, 2006, 8:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Travelbuzz?

The previous 274 times we've done this exact thread, we've done it in OMNI.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
Travelbuzz?

The previous 274 times we've done this exact thread, we've done it in OMNI.
Sorry to be naive...but where is OMNI?
Thanks
Old Jan 17, 2006, 8:19 pm
J-M
Suspended

Originally Posted by shl1108
come on J-M!
You know I would only ask you to be the lap for the diaper change. You would happily help, I'm sure
hey...I'd pay you to do your circus act in the bathroom with the kid!
LOL
I'm now positive you have me mixed up with someone else. I don't have children and don't want them. Not sure what circus act in the airplane lav you're referring to... the only one I can think of would most certainly not be done with a kid!!

You still didn't answer my question though. Did you know the other adult you talked about?
Old Jan 17, 2006, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by J-M
I'm now positive you have me mixed up with someone else. I don't have children and don't want them. Not sure what circus act in the airplane lav you're referring to... the only one I can think of would most certainly not be done with a kid!!

You still didn't answer my question though. Did you know the other adult you talked about?
Sorry, I was confusing you with someone else...but you can still help change the baby...
the other adult was my husband! Of course. ^ He doesn't mind.
He holds the barf bags for the kids too!
LOL
Old Jan 17, 2006, 8:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by J-M
I don't have children and don't want them.
Really? I never could have guessed.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
I'm beginning to suspect you "changed" more diapers in your imagination than real life, because if you can't hold the kid still with one elbow and use both hands for business, then you're not half trying. I could get a normal sized kid changed in plane lav from age 4 months to 2.5 years. Kids do bend at the waist, you know, and I never said this was comfortable, but I will say is is next to impossible for a kid to fall off of the closed commode if there is an adult standing there and the door is closed - there just isn't space to fall if the adult's legs are up against the edge.
[and no, the kid was not howling by the end of this]

While a kid might not fall off his/her head and legs would be hanging off. There is no way you are changing an 8 6 mo old and above on an airplane toilet seat lav. Not happening. I personally would love to hear from anyone else who can do this, because what you descrive is not possible for any child over the length of 14 inches. I've gone in and tried it.

I would still love to hear your suggestion for a change if it cant be done in the lav.

Ken in Phx
Old Jan 17, 2006, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Ken in Phx
Not happening. I personally would love to hear from anyone else who can do this, because what you descrive is not possible for any child over the length of 14 inches.

Ken in Phx
When the babies come out at birth they are between 18-24 inches long.

So, right Ken. I find it impossible too. I too would like to hear from any other people who have changed their baby on a toilet seat lid in a 2ft x 3ft plane bathroom.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by shl1108
Sorry to be naive...but where is OMNI?
Thanks
OMNI is a treasured part of Flyertalk where members go when they want to go off-topic, have too much free time, want to pad their post count, or are looking for their future ex-wife/husband

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/forum...ysprune=&f=457
Old Jan 17, 2006, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA, Skymiles, OnePass
The toilet-lid diaper change does work, but only when a child is strong enough to stand on his own two legs. Even then, if it's number 2, there's likely to be a huge mess. I always brought a few plastic bags to hold whatever got soiled in the struggle . . .
Old Jan 17, 2006, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by notsoFT
ps. on the subject of potty lids..been awhile since last i saw one in any public lav
I've never seen an airplane toilet without a lid, and that's the only kind of toilet I'm talking about.

As for those who refuse to believe that you can diaper a kid on a closed commode: re-read what I said: I put down a foam pad first - this pad effectively doubles the length of the work surface. It came with our diaper bag and zipped off. I've also seen them sold separately.

Frankly, I think some people are making too much fuss about the whole diapering thing, so I'm outta this thread.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 3:46 am

Programs: PPS Krisflyer, Miles and More
Originally Posted by davistev

I never realised how hard it is to travel with a baby. From the airline ticket lady who expects me to juggle a baby, a pusher and boarding passes to the customs people who look at you with glee when you are standing in line for over an hour with a screaming baby.

It is not easy folks. I would suggest some understanding in this matter.
Yes, it's maybe hard to travel with a 6 week old child, but why would one do such a thing? You ask for some understanding, I can hardly believe it. Why should I understand that I have to listen to screaming babies for hours on a plane? And just for the record: I'm female, I am not a child hater, but I hate the behaviour of most parents. Most of them are really selfish and think that all people have to be as crazy about their kids as themselves!
Old Jan 18, 2006, 11:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta, American, USAir, Continental, Northwest, United, AirTran, SouthWest, Midwest
Originally Posted by fromYYZ_flyer
So, should parents be able to change their baby's diapers in a place like this? There was a washroom right out side of the building with child changing tables.
I'm sure this thread has degenerated significantly from the original post, but I'll move back to the OP regardless.

In this case, since a child changing table was readily available, it should be used and the parent in this case was, obviously, a boor.

However, if an establishment (or an airplane, for that matter) doesn't provide a proper place for changing a child's diaper - then blame the establishment, not the parent. In such a situation, I would likely go to the car or, at a minimum, a secluded place. However, I could see myself "making a point" and using a more "public" location if I were to go someplace that should reasonably have a changing table, and find that one doesn't exist.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Max The Distance
However, if an establishment (or an airplane, for that matter) doesn't provide a proper place for changing a child's diaper - then blame the establishment, not the parent. In such a situation, I would likely go to the car or, at a minimum, a secluded place. However, I could see myself "making a point" and using a more "public" location if I were to go someplace that should reasonably have a changing table, and find that one doesn't exist.
Leaving aside the question of aircraft for the moment, isn't it possible that, if an "establishment" (I'm assuming "establishment" means restaurant as I can imagine few others where lavatory facilities for patrons are routinely provided) doesn't have facilities for babies, it's because, in the opinion of the owner of the establishment, babies don't belong there? I'm reminded of an incident I once witnessed in an upscale, "atmospheric" and expensive steakhouse in Chicago. A man and a woman with a toddler entered. The toddler wasn't ill-behaved -- just acting like a toddler, albeit a very noisy toddler. When the waiter approached to take their order, the woman complained (very loudly -- just like her toddler) because there were no high chairs, no children's menu, and the chef wouldn't cook up some spaghetti or chicken fingers for the kid. "What kind of restaurant," she loudly demanded, "doesn't have a children's menu?" I was sorely tempted to shout across the restaurant to her, "The kind of restaurant in which young children do not belong!"

As for aircraft, I'm sure no one will be shocked that it is my opinion that seat- and or tray table-diaper changes are disgusting, unsanitary and inconsiderate.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by PTravel
As for aircraft, I'm sure no one will be shocked that it is my opinion that seat- and or tray table-diaper changes are disgusting, unsanitary and inconsiderate.
Let me ask the question that you seem to want to get off your chest. DO you think children shouldnt fly on commercial airplanes?

Is it unreasonable to ask you where you would change a baby if the seat is unacceptable to you ( on planes w/o diaper changing trays )? Or is your answer, dont take them on board?

Ken in Phx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.