Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Diaper Duty in seat 18B...Ridiculous???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diaper Duty in seat 18B...Ridiculous???

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2006, 11:23 pm

It's all about a measured, appropriate response. Most of the responses here are hardly measured. They are hysterical rants.

You have to assume that most parents don't want to change their kid's diaper in public. But if the alternative is between having the kid wear a dirty diaper (and leaking onto whatever surface they are sitting on) and changing the kid in less than ideal conditions, I have no problem if the parent chooses the latter. Heck, I've seen kids without diapers taking poops in public. It happens in most of the world without some uptight (aka clean ... syndrome) reaction. In your more civilized places, most parents carry changing mats, wipes and other sanitizing stuff with them so it causes minimal disturbance. For the majority of those parents that change on unwashed surfaces and in public, it is probably a choice of last resort and certainly causes them more stress than whatever perceived invasion of your personal space on your end.

When Katrina hit New Orleans, there were news stories about babies in the Superdome with dirty diapers and no formula to drink due to lack of water. If you think seeing or smelling a dirty diaper on a plane is bad, think about how worse things can get.

As far as I know, no one has died from smelling (or god forbid touching ) a dirty diaper, whereas second-hand smoke kills and wet bathroom floors can cause nasty falls Sorry, the last time there was an e-coli or severed finger scare at a restaurant, it wasn't because someone changed a dirty diaper.

By the way, if I am ever changing a diaper on a plane and confronted by someone with some wiseass comments, I am going to throw a rotten durian at them!

Last edited by fallinasleep; Jan 17, 2006 at 9:43 am Reason: speling eror
Old Jan 17, 2006, 12:18 am

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by Ken in Phx
Well my friend you have a lot to learn when you have kids. Since this discussion is based on reasonable people (If the plane has a changing table, there is no dicussion) and what to do when you are on a flight w/o a changing table.

Kipper you cant leave the door partially open and change someone. It is illogical, it cant happen, there just is enough room. Plus kids dont stay still -you'll learn that later The changing table is barely enough room. Lets face it the FA's dont care/have no better ideas on what to do in a plane w/o changing table. Its not like you can retire to the lounge to change your kid. And if you kid drops a bomb, no door 1/2 open 1/2 closed is gonna make a ounce of difference. You have to make do with what is available. I am personally more worried about the FA that handles my food, the guy who sat in my seat the flight before and did the "deuce" and never washed his hands or that contaiminated water on the plane than someone changing on the seat. Planes are filthy places. But what doesnt kill us makes us stronger.

Ken in Phx
Ken!
Exactly...how in the heck can anyone change a kid in a PLANE BATHROOM!??!?!?!?!? Just "plane" ridiculous to think about it. A person can barely drop their own drawers let alone a kid that needs to be layed out and changed.

Unless you have had a child that needs a diaper on a long flight and have actually had to confront this situation! please refrain from suggestions that are limited!! We try our best.
Thank you
Old Jan 17, 2006, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by shl1108
Ken!
Exactly...how in the heck can anyone change a kid in a PLANE BATHROOM!??!?!?!?!? Just "plane" ridiculous to think about it. A person can barely drop their own drawers let alone a kid that needs to be layed out and changed.

Unless you have had a child that needs a diaper on a long flight and have actually had to confront this situation! please refrain from suggestions that are limited!! We try our best.
Thank you
Well, I have changed diapers in airplane lavs, and it really isn't that difficult. Awkward, yes, impossible, no, and personally, I never changed a diaper where I could not immediately wash my hands.

And for those who believe that poopy diapers don't pose much health risk, I would refer you to the CDC article on the transmission of hepatitis A . It is summarized by this comment:
* HAV is usually spread from person to person by putting something in the mouth (even though it may look clean) that has been contaminated with the stool of a person with hepatitis A.
Daycare centers are notorious in the spread of Hep A and in this country, infants are not routinely immunized against it, so that sweet little baby just might be carrying it.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Well, I have changed diapers in airplane lavs, and it really isn't that difficult. Awkward, yes, impossible, no, and personally, I never changed a diaper where I could not immediately wash my hands.

And for those who believe that poopy diapers don't pose much health risk, I would refer you to the CDC article on the transmission of hepatitis A . It is summarized by this comment:
* HAV is usually spread from person to person by putting something in the mouth (even though it may look clean) that has been contaminated with the stool of a person with hepatitis A.
Daycare centers are notorious in the spread of Hep A and in this country, infants are not routinely immunized against it, so that sweet little baby just might be carrying it.
If you don't mind me asking...where did you lay your child down in this airplane bathroom and how old were they?
Did you leave you child teetering on the 6 inch counter while getting the new diaper or sitting in the lav 5 inch sink? If your child couldn't stand yet, I would love to hear exactly how you accomplished this. It would just never occur to me how a baby could be changed in a plane bathroom and if you have detailed tips, that would be great.

Also, I think MORE people are going to use the lav that you just changed your poopy diaper on the COUNTER or wherever than sit in your very seat where you changed the diaper? So really, the chances are greater to get your Hep A concern from the very bathroom you are saying you used to change a diaper, right? as opposed to sit in the exact seat that you used with a blanket or changing pad...or a parent's lap. I would think a person would have a way better chance to clean up with the room needed to change the diaper. Just my opinion..

Last edited by shl1108; Jan 17, 2006 at 8:53 am
Old Jan 17, 2006, 8:54 am

I second that, love to hear a tip on how to change a baby in a non-changing table airplane lav. I've tried and it never worked for me. Any tips would be helpful.

Ken in Phx
Old Jan 17, 2006, 9:42 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
I'm with you....the ones that are really mad about a baby having to be changed with NO CHOICES but to do it where they can, either Hate children, Never want or wanted children, Hate everyone and probably would never admit that they were a child once themselves. LOL
Maybe we just hate infectious agents anywhere near food. This is a public health issue not an emotional issue.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 2:01 pm

Also, I think MORE people are going to use the lav that you just changed your poopy diaper on the COUNTER or wherever than sit in your very seat where you changed the diaper?
Wrong.

If there was no changing shelf, I put down the commode lid, put down a foam pad that came with our diaper bag and put a disposable, waterproof pad over that - baby never touched lav surfaces, diaper never touched lav surfaces, and was disposed of wrapped in the waterproof pad. Not difficult at all, just required thinking ahead. Then I used hospital technique to wash my hands - minimized risk to all concerned, and certainly not worth making a federal case out of.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 2:16 pm

Wrong.

If there was no changing shelf, I put down the commode lid, put down a foam pad that came with our diaper bag and put a disposable, waterproof pad over that - baby never touched lav surfaces, diaper never touched lav surfaces, and was disposed of wrapped in the waterproof pad. Not difficult at all, just required thinking ahead. Then I used hospital technique to wash my hands - minimized risk to all concerned, and certainly not worth making a federal case out of.
That's great you managed that daunting task in a plane bathroom. Personally my kids when between the ages of 6months-2 years would not fit laying on top of a plane toilet lid, nor stay still. There is a great age in which all children try to flip over while you change them. (maybe a very small infant could fit on top of a toilet lid, but even then you have to balance the infant as not fall to the ground...which is totally dangerous... while you open the clothes, get wipes, do the business, wrap dirty diaper, and hospital technique wash your hands...all whilst holding your baby?? who is probably crying by that time as being subjected to a toilet lid changing...) If you could manage all of that...and used the hospital technique to wash your hands? You should make a video for the crew to show on board before flight on your technique!!!! I would pay money to see that
Old Jan 17, 2006, 2:35 pm
J-M
Suspended

I'm not going to quote anyone specific, because it would likely earn me an unpaid vacation , but it is exactly the self-important parents that everyone is complaining about. The "I have a kid, therefore I'll do whatever the hell I please" is not an acceptable view to have. It is extremely gross, unsanitary, etc to change a child in a restaurant, on a tray table, or anywhere else that food is being served and consumed. Just about every reasonable person on this board seems to agree.

To the self-important parents...

Yes, it's fantastic that you chose to procreate. I'm very happy for you that you knew how to do that sucessfully. That's great. But don't think that your ability and choice to have offspring allows you to do whatever you please. The rest of us do not think of your "little angels" the same way that you do. Although you may not have a problem changing a poop-filled diaper in a restaurant because it is your kid... that does not mean others are not repulsed.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 2:40 pm

That's great you managed that daunting task in a plane bathroom. Personally my kids when between the ages of 6months-2 years would not fit laying on top of a plane toilet lid, nor stay still. There is a great age in which all children try to flip over while you change them. (maybe a very small infant could fit on top of a toilet lid, but even then you have to balance the infant as not fall to the ground...which is totally dangerous... while you open the clothes, get wipes, do the business, wrap dirty diaper, and hospital technique wash your hands...all whilst holding your baby?? who is probably crying by that time as being subjected to a toilet lid changing...) If you could manage all of that...and used the hospital technique to wash your hands? You should make a video for the crew to show on board before flight on your technique!!!! I would pay money to see that
I'm beginning to suspect you "changed" more diapers in your imagination than real life, because if you can't hold the kid still with one elbow and use both hands for business, then you're not half trying. I could get a normal sized kid changed in plane lav from age 4 months to 2.5 years. Kids do bend at the waist, you know, and I never said this was comfortable, but I will say is is next to impossible for a kid to fall off of the closed commode if there is an adult standing there and the door is closed - there just isn't space to fall if the adult's legs are up against the edge.
[and no, the kid was not howling by the end of this]
Old Jan 17, 2006, 3:08 pm

I'm beginning to suspect you "changed" more diapers in your imagination than real life, because if you can't hold the kid still with one elbow and use both hands for business, then you're not half trying. ]
Unless you have more than 3 children and have been a stay at home dad the whole time they were in diapers...then I would bet huge money I've had diaper duty plenty more than you. Not that I care how many times you have changed a diaper. I personally would never place my child on a toilet lid to change their diaper...any toilet lid....or table tray...
To each his own...
I'm not an advocate of unsanitary diaper changes, I think that if you think logically, parents do the best they can under the circumstances in whatever situation they can.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 3:37 pm
J-M
Suspended

and have been a stay at home dad the whole time they were in diapers..
Interesting... I didn't see that coming.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 6:38 pm

Programs: alaska mp
i would prefer that someone change a diaper in the seat over those people who:

1. don't wash up after using the lav's
2. cough without covering their mouths
3. cough, cover their mouths with their hands....and then dont wash their hands.

where's the germs gonna go if you don't immediately sanitize your hands? lets think of how many things you can touch before the germs die

ps. on the subject of potty lids..been awhile since last i saw one in any public lav
Old Jan 17, 2006, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by notsoFT
i would prefer that someone change a diaper in the seat over those people who:

1. don't wash up after using the lav's
2. cough without covering their mouths
3. cough, cover their mouths with their hands....and then dont wash their hands.

where's the germs gonna go if you don't immediately sanitize your hands? lets think of how many things you can touch before the germs die

ps. on the subject of potty lids..been awhile since last i saw one in any public lav
Yes, I totally agree. And really when I"ve changed a child on a plane, I usually am doing it with the help of another adult while the child is laying on their lap. Wipies are a great thing to clean your hands with. Plus the liquid hand sanitizer works great.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 7:54 pm
J-M
Suspended

And really when I"ve changed a child on a plane, I usually am doing it with the help of another adult while the child is laying on their lap.
I sure as hell hope you know that other adult... you'd better not be asking this of your seatmates if you aren't travelling together!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.