Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Diaper Duty in seat 18B...Ridiculous???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diaper Duty in seat 18B...Ridiculous???

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2006, 9:34 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
I have seen this on airplane tray tables, train tray tables, and worse. It is astonishing that anyone would think that diapers should be changed on the same place where people eat.

As a result, I always wipe down the tray table with an alcohol gel.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by SWG
Absolutely correct. Read about pinworms and you'll cringe everytime you see a diaper being changed or some kid scratching themselves down there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinworms
I think I would be more offended by an adult scratching himself "down there." Parents changing diapers in public are the least of my worries.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kipper
Ewww.... Please tell me they either took the diaper with them or threw it out in the restroom. I really hope they didn't expect you to dispose of it for them.
The AA FA who wrote a book, Up in the Air I think it was called, talked about people who like to change their baby's diapers at their seats, rather than using the lavatory. He told this one story about how he was doing the food service and the mother wanted him to put the soiled diaper on the food service cart as he was handing out food because she didn't want to hold on to it. Some people are really disgusting.

Originally Posted by El Cochinito
How about changing the baby on the floor in a store? Yep, been there, saw that. Still can't believe it to this day.
I've seen that at airports in the gate area plenty of times.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 11:26 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
They couldn't leave the airport lounge to get to a toilet? Did they at least find a corner and try to hide it?
Yeah, they tried to be very discreet, I probably was the only one that noticed it. Hope they will find a toilet next time, though. Btw. (also for other reasons) all lounges should have toilets IMO.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by fastflyer
I have seen this on airplane tray tables, train tray tables, and worse. It is astonishing that anyone would think that diapers should be changed on the same place where people eat.

I never thought about that. You can get alcohol wipes at most drug stores, in individually-wrapped packets. I think I'll start carrying those.

Originally Posted by Doppy
The AA FA who wrote a book, Up in the Air I think it was called, talked about people who like to change their baby's diapers at their seats, rather than using the lavatory. He told this one story about how he was doing the food service and the mother wanted him to put the soiled diaper on the food service cart as he was handing out food because she didn't want to hold on to it. Some people are really disgusting.
Do people just lack all sense of germs and bacteria?

Originally Posted by tsastor
Yeah, they tried to be very discreet, I probably was the only one that noticed it. Hope they will find a toilet next time, though. Btw. (also for other reasons) all lounges should have toilets IMO.
Finding a toilet is always the best option.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 12:11 pm

Programs: ATA Elite, SW RR hoi polloi
What's even worse than changing a baby in an eating area is when the eating establishment does nothing about it. I was at a Boston Market in my hometown and heard the woman ahead of me complaining about something. My nose quickly alerted me to what she was complaining about...a woman was changing her baby's poop diaper right on a table top at the first table across from the food service counter. Triple-mega-gross! The restaurant has a restroom, but the rude mother was oblivious and the worker just shrugged. The woman ahead of me was so unhappy with their attitude that she left without her food. When I got up there, I complained too, but they did nothing until mother and baby left. Then they sopped the table top with murky water from a yukky bucket without even spraying any disinfectant. That was the last time I EVER ate there. I called their 800 number to complain, and the person I spoke with said, "You're the third person to call." Duh! They really needed to educate the manager of that location about germs, disease, and a little thing called liability.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 12:28 pm

^ That is disgusting! Not sure what I would have done if I would have been there.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by retirentravel
^ That is disgusting! Not sure what I would have done if I would have been there.
I think I might ask them politely to use the restroom, as the rest of us don't care to see or smell.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 6:27 pm

I think I might ask them politely to use the restroom, as the rest of us don't care to see or smell.
Please report back how that goes next time.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do people just lack all sense of germs and bacteria?
I forgot to mention that he said she got really upset and IIRC, ended up putting the dirty diaper on the serving cart herself anyway
Old Jan 13, 2006, 8:20 pm

So do the fathers act as selfishly as these mothers? Or are they more cognizant that the world doesn't revolve around them and their babies?
Old Jan 13, 2006, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by fallinasleep
Please report back how that goes next time.
Sure, after I recover from my black eye...

Originally Posted by Doppy
I forgot to mention that he said she got really upset and IIRC, ended up putting the dirty diaper on the serving cart herself anyway
Ewww... That's just horrible.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA gold, UA Premier, HH Gold, *wood gold, PC gold

Just one of the myriad reasons I have to strangle most new parents!

Because they are so "enraptured" by having a new baby they seem to think that we all should be as well. "Awwww isn't it cute... little Billy made a poop!". No it isn't, get it off the friggin' dining table you moron!!!!!!! I've seen this abomination so many times that the next time I see it I'm gonna take that nappy and shove it in the parent's face.

As far as breast feeding in public, I don't care - no public health hazard as far as I can tell. But don't expect me to move if you sit down next to me and do it.... go screw yourself. Go to your car and breastfeed then, FFS.

BTW, if you're either unable or unwilling to control your spawn, keep them off of aircraft!

Last edited by the_nomad; Jan 13, 2006 at 9:30 pm Reason: gramatical error
Old Jan 13, 2006, 9:02 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by fastflyer

Are you serious? I *might* be able to change a very small baby in my lap if my partner were in the adjoining seat and being helpful, but there is no way any size baby would fit on a flimsy tray table in coach. A bag of SunChips and a soda barely fit.

I would hope to never change a child in a public or plane restroom. Talk about germs.. yegods! Babies are pretty germ free unlike adult restroom users. And the cleaning crew whom I suspect smears the germs around rather than removing them.

Be glad I never flew when my children were in diapers. I would use the seat. Very carefully, since either my partner or I would be sitting in that same seat for the rest of the flight.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA gold, UA Premier, HH Gold, *wood gold, PC gold
Originally Posted by lili
Babies are pretty germ free unlike adult restroom users.
Huh?

Where on Earth are you getting that from?! Please reference your sources.

Last edited by the_nomad; Jan 13, 2006 at 10:09 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.