Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Diaper Duty in seat 18B...Ridiculous???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diaper Duty in seat 18B...Ridiculous???

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2007, 3:28 pm

Programs: Lifetime PC Member
Talking

Hey rrz518
How would you have handled this if it was your kid? In the lav? Be serious, one adult barely fits. I'm sure the parents would rather have waited until landing, but nature has its way. As the father of six I was always reminded in life, s**t happens.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 3:29 pm

if it was me sitting around them, I would of made it well known that I didnt appreciate that.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
I agree with rrz518: it's not sanitary. The bathrooms are a problem, but it should be a problem for the parents, not the passengers!
Old Feb 4, 2007, 3:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
All right, so the bathrooms are a problem (?), but since we were on final approach, would it have been so terrible to wait until landing and take care of it in the terminal restrooms???
Old Feb 4, 2007, 4:09 pm

Programs: CO Silver
Originally Posted by rrz518
All right, so the bathrooms are a problem (?), but since we were on final approach, would it have been so terrible to wait until landing and take care of it in the terminal restrooms???
Sure, they could have waited. But why risk a leak and needing a change of clothes, etc., especially if IAH was not their final destination?

Speaking from experience, it is definitely possible to change a diaper in the lav, even on the ERJ. The table folds out over the toilet so space is generally not an issue.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 4:12 pm

Agree 100%. It's completely disgusting.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 5:16 pm

While I know it might be tough to change diapers in an airplane restroom, I think it is rude to other passengers around you to change your children's diapers at your seat. In addition, it makes me cringe that they may have been using the tray table as their changing table!
Old Feb 4, 2007, 5:25 pm

..... The FA's all passed by non-plussed (oohing and ahing by the way)....
What did you expect the F/A's to do? If parents can't figure it out, it isn't our job to "teach" them.

Also, given what happened to the F/A who booted a breast feeding mommy off the plane a couple months back; you can definitely count on the F/A's being a bit more reserved when it comes to these types of situations.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 5:37 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
As a mother of three (grown) children, I can say I would never have changed one of my childrens' diapers in the seat of an airplane. Figure it out, go the bathroom. Women can be be very innovative. Breastfeeding is another story. It can be done discreetly, in public, without offending anyone.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
In no way is changing a baby in the seat ever appropriate or sanitary. Neither is it appropriate to do so in the seats at the PC. I've seen that too. The lavatory/washroom is there for a reason. I can't believe that anyone thinks that this is acceptable behaviour.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 6:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
I KNOW I'm going to get reprimanded for this, but nonetheless: A young couple changed an infants diapers right out there in the open, in seat 18B today (SAN - IAH). To make matters worse, "Daddy" stood out in the aisle during the process (watching, and blocking traffic), and the STENCH was overpowering (I was a couple of rows back). This was all going on during the final descent into Houston. The FA's all passed by non-plussed (oohing and ahing by the way).

Daddy then carried the "package" back to the restroom for disposal.

Does anyone find this behavior unacceptable (besides me?). Isn't that why they install restrooms on aircraft? I pity the occupant of 18A and anyone else who got the visual as well as the olfactory.

Personally, I find this behavior selfish, lazy, thoughtless and downright rude. Thoughts?
Did you say anything? Did you speak with a flight attendant during the flight or a continental rep immediately after? I think changing diapers is disgusting, its a part of life, but there is no way I would have allowed that.

Originally Posted by xyzzy
In no way is changing a baby in the seat ever appropriate or sanitary. Neither is it appropriate to do so in the seats at the PC. I've seen that too. The lavatory/washroom is there for a reason. I can't believe that anyone thinks that this is acceptable behaviour.
Agreed, but if you don't bring it to the "offending" persons attention via the PC agents, you just become an enabler. God knows I would not want to sit in one of the chairs someone just changed their kid in.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
Agreed, but if you don't bring it to the "offending" persons attention via the PC agents, you just become an enabler. God knows I would not want to sit in one of the chairs someone just changed their kid in.
To be perfectly clear, I absolutely say something when I see behaviour like this.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I've only seen this happen twice. The first time about 5 years ago I said nothing and suffered through it. Never again. The next time I told the guy "You know they have a changing table in the lav." He acted a little put off by that suggestion but after the flight attendant said something to him as well he did get up and go back to the lavatory.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 7:59 pm

Programs: United GS 1MM, WN A-List, Marriott LTPPE, CLEAR
As a dad of his own with two young kids, I have to agree, this type of behavior is disgusting and feeds the "anti-kid" sentiment expressed by some.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 8:06 pm

I saw this thread title and I asked my wife if she had ever done this (she has traveled a fair bit without me with our (now potty trained) 2.5 year old).

She told me she HAS! But she made two important qualifications: a) she has never changed a poo filled diaper in the seat, just a wet one and b) she has never done even this when anyone else was in the row with her (i.e. she had her row to herself).

So is she off the hook? In my opinion she is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.