Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Take the babysitter on the trip?

Take the babysitter on the trip?

Old Aug 10, 06, 3:17 pm

Ideally, you would pay the airfare, lodging (in the same hotel, or if not w/ a rental car for the babbysitter) and food is optional. (it would be nice though). Now when it comes to giving them sometime to themselves, I would play that by ear. If you feel like being home alone with the kids for some off time, just let the nanny know and Im sure she'll be glad to give you your space.
Old Aug 13, 06, 10:29 am

Programs: Delta PM,UA 1P,
Originally Posted by erik123
Loving your kids full-time leaves very little time loving the spouse! - that's what babysistters/nannies are for.

Who said anything about loving the spouse?

Just kidding
Old Jan 26, 11, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott LT Plat, IHG Spire
So after reading through this thread, wondering if the following is a fair offer.

My husband has two nieces, 16 and 18. I would like to offer the following to them:
1) accompany us for one week to Kauai
2) we will be renting a house and they will have their own bedroom and bathroom in the house.
3) We will be there with our then 3 month old as well as with two friends who have a 3 year-old girl (who is a well-behaved, easy kid).
4) We will pay for their airfares, lodging, and any meals they eat at the house or with us in restaurants. I will also priceline them their own rental car.
5) In exchange, they agree to watch the kids about 20 hours during the week. The rest of the time they can explore the island at their leisure.
6) I will also give them each $100 spending money.

Is this fair and reasonable or not enough cash? Thanks!
Old Jan 26, 11, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA Nobody, HH Silver, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by JNelson113 View Post
So after reading through this thread, wondering if the following is a fair offer.

My husband has two nieces, 16 and 18. I would like to offer the following to them:
1) accompany us for one week to Kauai
2) we will be renting a house and they will have their own bedroom and bathroom in the house.
3) We will be there with our then 3 month old as well as with two friends who have a 3 year-old girl (who is a well-behaved, easy kid).
4) We will pay for their airfares, lodging, and any meals they eat at the house or with us in restaurants. I will also priceline them their own rental car.
5) In exchange, they agree to watch the kids about 20 hours during the week. The rest of the time they can explore the island at their leisure.
6) I will also give them each $100 spending money.

Is this fair and reasonable or not enough cash? Thanks!
It does sound very fair. You might clarify if the obligation (20 hours) and the cash is EACH, or split between the 2 of them.
Oh, be careful with the rental car - most won't allow anyone under 21 to rent or drive their vehicles.
Have fun!
Kate
Old Jan 26, 11, 4:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, former Delta Diamond Medallion, Hilton Diamond, Caesars Diamond, Momentum *SOAR*
Originally Posted by kykate View Post
Oh, be careful with the rental car - most won't allow anyone under 21 to rent or drive their vehicles.
Actually, usually 25; sometimes 23. Unless, on corporate business for a corporation with a contract with the rental company. (i.e. a new hire for IBM who is 22 on company business).
Old Jan 26, 11, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA Nobody, HH Silver, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by baccarat_king View Post
Actually, usually 25; sometimes 23. Unless, on corporate business for a corporation with a contract with the rental company. (i.e. a new hire for IBM who is 22 on company business).
Ugh! Worse than I recalled.
Thanks!
Kate
Old Jan 26, 11, 5:58 pm

It does sound very fair. You might clarify if the obligation (20 hours) and the cash is EACH, or split between the 2 of them.
Have fun!
Kate
Oh good point! Urg. I hate to stick them at the house with us unless we're out and about.
Old Jan 26, 11, 6:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, former Delta Diamond Medallion, Hilton Diamond, Caesars Diamond, Momentum *SOAR*
Ugh! Worse than I recalled.
Yeah, try living with a 16 year old who has her own car. We live in 'basically' rural NH; and the State Farm bill is still out of site (and this is on a 2003 car.... not a brand new BMW ).

Originally Posted by JNelson113 View Post
Oh good point! Urg. I hate to stick them at the house with us unless we're out and about.
I would think, if they have beach/pool and time off (and a room with their own TV and wifi) that a 16 and 18 year old wouldn't be too upset; especially if there are other 16-20 year olds around.
Old Jan 26, 11, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by baccarat_king View Post
I would think, if they have beach/pool and time off (and a room with their own TV and wifi) that a 16 and 18 year old wouldn't be too upset; especially if there are other 16-20 year olds around.
Well, they'd be a 10 minute walk from the Princeville so that would not be a bad place for them to head to. Plus we probably would get a house with a pool.
Old Jan 31, 11, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think they would be fine - after all, if they went on vacation with their own parents, would they hire them a car (for when they didn't want to do what mom and dad are doing) - I know mine never did!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: