Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Would you take an elementary school aged child on a mileage run with you?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2022, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy

Interested to hear what people think. Would be traveling with a six year old. Considering this since spouse doesn't want to do the run... thinks it'd be a nightmare. I and the kid enjoy spending time together so I think it'd be a bit of an adventure.

What are people's thoughts? Flights in question would be European economy/business (nice meal, same seat) and ranging in length from 1hr to about 4-5hrs per flight. Obviously we'd have an iPad and lots of books, snacks etc.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 11:08 pm

When you say "mileage run" do you mean land at an airport, turn around and get on a return flight?

That, I would not do.

However, if you are offering the child 24 to 48 hours of interesting sight-seeing and new foods between flights, I'd do that. My kid loved to travel from an early age, and at 6 was already better at it than many adults I know. However, I'd personally leave the iPad at home, and introduce the child to the ancient concept of "guidebooks" where every page offers you new details and photos of what makes the place you are going special. I find the DK series often are most appealing to kids because of the many photos.
salut0, TWA884 and Redhead like this.

Last edited by CDTraveler; Jun 14, 2022 at 4:26 pm
Old Jun 14, 2022, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by salut0
Interested to hear what people think. Would be traveling with a six year old. Considering this since spouse doesn't want to do the run... thinks it'd be a nightmare. I and the kid enjoy spending time together so I think it'd be a bit of an adventure.

What are people's thoughts? Flights in question would be European economy/business (nice meal, same seat) and ranging in length from 1hr to about 4-5hrs per flight. Obviously we'd have an iPad and lots of books, snacks etc.

I think it’s perfectly fine and even a great idea. [Sometimes the journey is the point and comes with points.] Great pedagogical opportunity. But throw in the iPad or smartphones, and some of that window of opportunity to teach, learn and interact may narrow.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 9:54 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I agree with @CDTraveler. I wouldn't do a turn and burn but a 24-48 hour visit, fun sights, new food - totally
CDTraveler likes this.

Last edited by Redhead; Jun 17, 2022 at 10:00 am
Old Jul 18, 2022, 7:29 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Depends on the child. My daughter is 10 and really enjoyed the flying aspect of travel. She likes lounges, she likes being on the plane on her iPad and watching movies on the IFE. She likes just being with her father. We've done a couple of less than 24 hour trips together and we've had a great time. She doesn't mind connections or long flights either. But I think she's kind of atypical this way.
Redhead and CDTraveler like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.