Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Business Class and First Class with children [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business Class and First Class with children [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:06 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
I ran into this problem with AF, and it took me a while to find out the whole story on why it is. The window seat requirement is not related to the issue where car seats aren't allowed on aircraft where the seats are angled more than 18 degrees off the center line. The window seats are angled just as much as the center ones, so that isn't the issue. It is a different issue, as it applies even to children who aren't in a car seat. (I had it a couple years ago when flying with my daughter who was 7 years old at the time).

The reason why they require the kid in the window seat is for ease of access in an emergency. The center seat pair in their 1-2-1 business class seating is partitioned. The upper privacy divider can be removed, which allows for conversation and helps access, but the access between the two seats is still considered obstructed, because the partition goes all the way down to the floor. With the privacy divider removed, you'd have access so that you could assist with oxygen masks, so that is ok. The problem is that you don't have good access to help the child with their seatbelt in the event of an evacuation, as the center console obstructs your access. They want the parent to be sitting across the aisle from the child so that access is totally unobstructed. The problem is how to come up with a system that enforces the parent being across the aisle from a child? The easiest way for them to do this was to force the child into the window seat.

We ended up doing this for when our family of four travelled together:

Seat Reservations 1-2-1:
Aisle - Middle - Middle - Aisle
Oldest Child - Parent1 - Parent2 - Youngest Child

But then once on board, we swapped seats thusly:
Oldest Child - Parent1 - Youngest Child - Parent 2

Result was we still had unobstructed access to the youngest child, and we could keep a better eye on them.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer
I The problem is how to come up with a system that enforces the parent being across the aisle from a child? The easiest way for them to do this was to force the child into the window seat.
Dont doubt what you were told.... but for this to make sense they must ALSO require parent across aisle (AND not permit UMs).

Anyone wanna bet AF will let parent sit anywhere in the cabin as long as the child is in a window?

cynically yours,

EP

albie likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:58 pm

Anyone know if the CARES harness works on AF 772 J seats?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Same question for Turkish 77W. The TK twitter team doesn't understand what I'm trying to ask them.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 8:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
i believe the CARES works on all due to the way it is made

"CARES fits on virtually all Economy, Business, and First Class seats. The CARES red loop will extend to a circumference of up to 62 inches. If you will be flying on an airline with extra large seats or a sleeper seat, you may want to check with the airline to see if CARES will fit.

CARES should not be used on a seat equipped with an airbag."
Homepage
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
How is it that the FAA hasn't yet studied the use of CRS in seats with an 18 degree angle?
Old Apr 18, 2019, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
In our experiences on AA (673, 777), BA (777, 747) CX (777, 350) the CARES harness does not work on J class seats. And, every single flight attendant asked us not to install it. I went ahead and tried each time, and nope, doesn't work. Obviously, these are different airlines, but the type of J seat may or may not be the same as one of these (I can't remember the J seat manufacturer off the top of my head in AF 772)/
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Ignutzz
In our experiences on AA (673, 777), BA (777, 747) CX (777, 350) the CARES harness does not work on J class seats. And, every single flight attendant asked us not to install it. I went ahead and tried each time, and nope, doesn't work. Obviously, these are different airlines, but the type of J seat may or may not be the same as one of these (I can't remember the J seat manufacturer off the top of my head in AF 772)/
Yes it appears the AF J seats have airbags, so it's not likely to work. We're just going to have to live with toddler in regular seatbelt.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 6:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
yes they do
If you are flying on a U.S. registered carrier you do not need permission to use CARES restraint. CARES is certified by the FAA for use on all U.S. registered airlines. Occasionally, we come across airline personnel who are not familiar with it so it is helpful to point out the “FAA APPROVED” printed on the label. You may also want to carry a copy of “Child Safety on Airplanes” printed off the FAA website or downloaded from the Kids Fly Safe website under In-Flight Documents In-flight Documents.

Last edited by knownothing; Jul 12, 2019 at 6:54 am Reason: adding
Old Aug 23, 2020, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
FAMILY OF 4: AA 777-200 in J - seat arrangement 1-2-1 (window seats face towards window)

Kids are ages 8 and 5. They are pretty good in the plane. We have never taken this configuration before. What is the best way for this flight.
A) Everyone in the same row
B) Two in the window, two in the center (for example: 1A, 1D, 2A, 2D)
Old Aug 23, 2020, 7:04 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by opus2002
FAMILY OF 4: AA 777-200 in J - seat arrangement 1-2-1 (window seats face towards window)

Kids are ages 8 and 5. They are pretty good in the plane. We have never taken this configuration before. What is the best way for this flight.
B), hands down. Put the kids in the windows and the parents can monitor from across the aisle. This way the kids can still interact without having to run all the way around the plane.
Redhead and opus2002 like this.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 12:07 pm

I'm going to Korea next year and flying with 1 year 11 month old child and my wife

Debating between 2 First Class vs 3 Econ (or business if possible) seats on Korean Air A380

When we flew United Polaris 787 10, it was a little narrow for both my wife and child as a lap child. We put the seat down and he played well, but that was only a 5 hours flight. My wife was a little cramped

Will first be wide enough? It looks almost 6 inches wider and I thought would be more comfortable for both of them. Other option is to do 3 seats in economy and potentially business if I can swing the extra miles
Old Nov 7, 2020, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by theoracle111
I'm going to Korea next year and flying with 1 year 11 month old child and my wife

Debating between 2 First Class vs 3 Econ (or business if possible) seats on Korean Air A380

When we flew United Polaris 787 10, it was a little narrow for both my wife and child as a lap child. We put the seat down and he played well, but that was only a 5 hours flight. My wife was a little cramped

Will first be wide enough? It looks almost 6 inches wider and I thought would be more comfortable for both of them. Other option is to do 3 seats in economy and potentially business if I can swing the extra miles
F likely will be near empty. Would be an easy choice for me.
opus2002 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US

Eramus said choice B (two in window, two in center, which I agree. Now, I am thinking how about all of us in window seats. What do you think?
Old Jan 9, 2021, 10:03 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Eramus said choice B (two in window, two in center, which I agree. Now, I am thinking how about all of us in window seats. What do you think?
I get annoyed when I see parents do this as they frequently end up having to raise their voice and/or get up to talk to their kids, which is very annoying if you’re sitting across the aisle from it all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.