Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Business Class and First Class with children [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business Class and First Class with children [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by Zurick
Saw a lap kid go flying onver the atlantic last week. Plane hit air pocket and dropped and kid bounced off the roof. No apparent damage
DYKWIA no kids in my cabin troll alert!
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:34 am

I'm pretty sure an 11mo is going to be too big for a bassinet on any airline. Most bassinets only accommodate very little babies.

Note that the number of lap children who can be in a given grouping of seats is limited by the number of oxygen masks available. In Y, there is often 1 extra mask for each group of seats, so you can only have 1 lap child per group of seats (for example, a plane with 3-3-3 configuration might have 4 masks for each group of 3 seats, so you can't have more than 1 lap child in a group of 3 seats). I have no idea how many masks there are in the J cabin on your particular plane. Hopefully there will be enough masks per seat grouping for all four of you to sit together, but you should be prepared to sit separately in case the FAs require you to (even if you are able to book seats together ahead of time).
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I always bring a little bookbag of new (quiet) toys such as crayons and coloring books, a favourite stuffed animal, a few books, an ipad (and I usually hate screen time, but flights are my major exception), silly putty, etc., and lots of snacks. I did this starting with my daughter about age 22 months and it makes life much easier. She flew both J and Y many times. Now that she is almost 6 she is 100% about the ipad
Old Feb 9, 2019, 6:38 am

Business class trip with 5 month old - sleep suggestions

I'm sure this topic has been covered but would like some feedback on specific options. I'm traveling for business next week with my 5 month old son; I'll be in business class on AA airbus 330 from PHL to LHR in a bulkhead seat. Unfortunately business doesn't have a bassinet (only coach does?!). I'll just safely assume I won't get much sleep but in the off chance I doze off, which of these options would be better (and safe):

1) SkyBaby - perhaps I could get sleep with him on top of me with pillows for support underneath while I have the seat fully extended? http://www.amazon.com/SkyBaby-001-Tr...ZBQMJ1CJV926Q5
2) Travel bassinet - he would definitely fill this and I couldn't have my seat extended with this on the floor. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004L2JJ6E/...49QQGWSF&psc=0

Others have suggested wearing him in my carrier but I've read that's not safe so I'd say that's not really an option.

Any thoughts?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
look at post 23 on FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways Executive Club
>

infant turning 2 on return flight day

Do not put your child on your lap
Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MRBaby
I'm sure this topic has been covered but would like some feedback on specific options. I'm traveling for business next week with my 5 month old son; I'll be in business class on AA airbus 330 from PHL to LHR in a bulkhead seat. Unfortunately business doesn't have a bassinet (only coach does?!). I'll just safely assume I won't get much sleep but in the off chance I doze off, which of these options would be better (and safe):

1) SkyBaby - perhaps I could get sleep with him on top of me with pillows for support underneath while I have the seat fully extended? http://www.amazon.com/SkyBaby-001-Tr...ZBQMJ1CJV926Q5
2) Travel bassinet - he would definitely fill this and I couldn't have my seat extended with this on the floor. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004L2JJ6E/...49QQGWSF&psc=0

Others have suggested wearing him in my carrier but I've read that's not safe so I'd say that's not really an option.

Any thoughts?
The airlines do not allow carriers on take off/landing. But it is much safer than being on your lap
Old Feb 22, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: UA Silver (woohoo), Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MRBaby

Any thoughts?
I assume you're travelling solo?

We have a very similar size travel bassinet - it would definitely be too large to fit in the seat with you. SkyBaby looks like it would work (I just watched the marketing video featuring a way-too-happy baby).
Old Feb 23, 2019, 6:25 am
Suspended

buy another seat and put him in the safest position which FAA and flight attendants union recommend
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Erasmus
Agreed. The 3-across J cabin is perfect when flying with a toddler; (un)fortunately they have gone they way of the dodo on most modern carriers. These days, however, we are a family of 4, so 2+2 works for us Herringbone is definitely not as convenient with kids, but in general it allows for much nicer seats, so I won't complain.
Anyone have experience with AF 777 J (1-2-1) with a toddler? Airline informed me the kid had to be in the widow seat for some reason so he'll be across the aisle from a parent, and unfortunately free to get up and wander around if he wants to when parents are sleeping. No real great option though.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Anyone have experience with AF 777 J (1-2-1) with a toddler? Airline informed me the kid had to be in the widow seat for some reason so he'll be across the aisle from a parent, and unfortunately free to get up and wander around if he wants to when parents are sleeping. No real great option though.
I'm not familiar with Air France, but the policy of having a child sit in the window seat is probably related to car seat installations. Most airlines state that car seats cannot be placed in an aisle seat as doing so might impede passengers during an emergency. If you mentioned that you're flying with a toddler, they may have assumed that you will be traveling with a car seat. I don't know if this is definitely the case, but I would guess this is why they mentioned their rule about the window seat.

Also, it sounds like you're traveling without a car seat for your toddler. While child seats can sometimes be awkward and cumbersome to travel with, have you considered taking one? Having a child seat for them on the plane would certainly be safest and would also help prevent them from wandering around when they shouldn't be. As you mentioned sleeping and a 777, I'm presuming this is a reasonably long flight, so a car seat might be more comfortable for the child (especially when they would like to sleep). Equally, while traveling can undoubtedly be exhausting - particularly over longer journeys - you might want to think about ways to ensure that one parent can always be awake so they can supervise properly (please forgive me if I've read your message incorrectly, but it sounded like there might be a possibility of both parents being asleep at once!).
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by sportsguy1
I'm not familiar with Air France, but the policy of having a child sit in the window seat is probably related to car seat installations. Most airlines state that car seats cannot be placed in an aisle seat as doing so might impede passengers during an emergency. If you mentioned that you're flying with a toddler, they may have assumed that you will be traveling with a car seat. I don't know if this is definitely the case, but I would guess this is why they mentioned their rule about the window seat.

Also, it sounds like you're traveling without a car seat for your toddler. While child seats can sometimes be awkward and cumbersome to travel with, have you considered taking one? Having a child seat for them on the plane would certainly be safest and would also help prevent them from wandering around when they shouldn't be. As you mentioned sleeping and a 777, I'm presuming this is a reasonably long flight, so a car seat might be more comfortable for the child (especially when they would like to sleep). Equally, while traveling can undoubtedly be exhausting - particularly over longer journeys - you might want to think about ways to ensure that one parent can always be awake so they can supervise properly (please forgive me if I've read your message incorrectly, but it sounded like there might be a possibility of both parents being asleep at once!).
SFO-CDG overnight; planning to use the CARES harness and not bring a car seat. Hopefully he won't really have the dexterity and knowledge to get himself out of it even if he wanted to. If he wakes up and wants to get up, he'll probably cry, which will wake one of us up.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
I'm not familiar with Air France, but the policy of having a child sit in the window seat is probably related to car seat installations. Most airlines state that car seats cannot be placed in an aisle seat as doing so might impede passengers during an emergency..
Thats seems odd.

The 'aisle seat restriction' was to avoid 'trapping' pax IN THAT ROW. Since the 1-2-1 has (a) nobody trapped and (b) every seat is an aisle, I dont understand it....
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
SFO-CDG overnight; planning to use the CARES harness and not bring a car seat. Hopefully he won't really have the dexterity and knowledge to get himself out of it even if he wanted to. If he wakes up and wants to get up, he'll probably cry, which will wake one of us up.
Does that configuration have seatbelts with airbags? I didn't think that the CARES harness is usable in such seats. And, carseats aren't unless the airbag is deactivated (by using the seatbelt extender).
Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Thats seems odd.

The 'aisle seat restriction' was to avoid 'trapping' pax IN THAT ROW. Since the 1-2-1 has (a) nobody trapped and (b) every seat is an aisle, I dont understand it....
That's how I understand the rule too. I was trying to imagine why the airline would have such a rule and this was the only idea which seemed feasible. I'm not familiar with Air France so I certainly don't know for sure. It could be a blanket policy across all classes to keep the administration simple; it could be for some other reason(s); and it might even be that the information was incorrect.

Also, FindAWay's point about the seats possible having airbags is important and I would certainly recommend contacting Air France to clarify the situation.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
That's how I understand the rule too. I was trying to imagine why the airline would have such a rule and this was the only idea which seemed feasible. I'm not familiar with Air France so I certainly don't know for sure. It could be a blanket policy across all classes to keep the administration simple; it could be for some other reason(s); and it might even be that the information was incorrect.

Also, FindAWay's point about the seats possible having airbags is important and I would certainly recommend contacting Air France to clarify the situation.
Seats that are angled more than something like X (18?) degrees from a center-line may not be allowed for use with CRS by some regulatory authorities (speaking of CRS with an FAA-approved label). Perhaps it's something like that which may be in play with AF?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.