Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Business Class and First Class with children [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business Class and First Class with children [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2016, 1:39 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, Le Club Accor Gold
You can't use CARES on a BA CW Seat, no idea on car seats but i've never seen them used in cw , the child in this case is 2 so would need to be in their own seat for take off and landing
Old Apr 18, 2016, 4:10 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by fredandgingermad
You can't use CARES on a BA CW Seat, no idea on car seats but i've never seen them used in cw , the child in this case is 2 so would need to be in their own seat for take off and landing
And whenever the seatbelt sign is on, e.g. for turbulence.

We have flown with all 4 of ours in CW at various times (from 8 months old onwards) and never used CARES or car seats, and never had any issues.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 6:30 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Originally Posted by fredandgingermad
BA: "The car seat:can only be used for infants over six months old and children up to three years old."

The interesting thing is that you can use a regular car seat in CW, but not a CARES
Old Apr 21, 2016, 4:46 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, Le Club Accor Gold
Except CARES has to go round/over the back of the seat doesn't it? Which wouldn't work with the herring bone seats, whereas the car seat only requires use of the lapbelt
Old May 13, 2016, 8:28 pm

I searched and can't find any recent information on this...does anybody know if bassinets are available on United's 777 in BusinessFirst? And if so, what seats have them? We are flying from ORD to CDG.

I thought I read on here that United doesn't have them in BusinessFirst, but their website says that they do. I plan to call on Monday to find out, but would like to move my seats to the bassinet location in the meantime if they have them.

Thanks!
Old Aug 18, 2016, 4:42 am

Programs: QF
Etihad First Apartments

Hi,

Given that Etihad bassinets only go up to 10kgs or approx 1 yr old, doesn anyone know if you're forced to take a bassinet seat if you're flying with an infant who is too old to fit in one of their bassinets?

Myself and my wife would like to select an adjoining apartment pair when we travel with our 20 month old baby and the bassinet seats don't adjoin with their neighbors seat.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, FB Silver, BA Bronze
Hi,

I will soon be relocating to the US with my family and I'm looking for advice on the best J layout for traveling with a toddler.

We will be 2 adults and my daughter who is 1.5 years old and will have her own seat. We will be flying from AMS to MSY and the options for the long haul are UA B777 AMS-IAH, DL A330 AMS-ATL or BA B787 LHR-MSY. Looking at the layouts I feel DL is probably out but between UA and BA I'm torn. What do people think?

Also, does anybody know if the CARES system is compatible with any of those seats?

Thanks!
Old Oct 24, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
While generally cramped, UA is the best option among those choices IMHO, as you are facing the same direction and in easy reach of each other. BA the seats alternate directions and you are either across a partition or the aisle from your child.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 6:14 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Originally Posted by ADW86
Hi,

Also, does anybody know if the CARES system is compatible with any of those seats?

Thanks!
yes
all
Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Erasmus
While generally cramped, UA is the best option among those choices IMHO, as you are facing the same direction and in easy reach of each other. BA the seats alternate directions and you are either across a partition or the aisle from your child.
Thanks Erasmus, indeed, as far as the seat layout is concerned UA is probably the best option. Of course, BA has the advantage that you clear US immigration in MSY which, although I have never done it, is unlikely to be worse than IAH I'm guessing? And you don't have to worry about a connecting flight after that...
Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by BeatCal
BA: "The car seat:can only be used for infants over six months old and children up to three years old."

The interesting thing is that you can use a regular car seat in CW, but not a CARES
Originally Posted by BeatCal
Originally Posted by ADW86
Hi,

Thanks!
yes
all
BeatCal, I noticed you said a year ago that a CARES could not be used in CW, has something changed?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 12:22 pm

Flying J with lap infants

Hey guys,

Looking for some advice on an upcoming trip, my wife and I are taking the two kids to Europe. Kids will be 23 months and 11 months when we fly. All of our flights are in J as we thought it would be more comfortable for us to have more space.
Do any of you who have flown J with a lap infant before have any advice you can pass on that made your trip easier? Or something you learned that you would do differently next time? Does flying J vs Y make you do anything differently?
A couple things I'm concerned about are eating, is there enough room with table setup for the kids to be on our laps? Also, nap time, how do you handle this on the long transatlantic flights? Some people have said to ask the FA if they can make a bed for you in an empty J seat, that seems like a smart move, what if that isn't an option?
Obviously we will deal with whatever we have to but if any of you have done this before we would appreciate any tips or advice.

Thank you for your help

Note: I'm not looking to debate "kids in premium cabins" or "buy your kids their own seat"
Old Jan 12, 2018, 3:29 am
yno

Programs: FB, Accor, Marriot
We've flown (Delta) J a bit over a year ago with one lap child and one child on a sear. Easy with one, as the other parent has free knees. I would probably avoid having each a lap child, and probably book a seat for the 23 months old child (who would be on the laps during take off or landing). This would make your life much easier.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:41 am

We flew SQ to Japan last year with our then 20 month old. For me what was most important, regardless of whether Y or J is to babywear and bring a carrier. Once your LO falls asleep in the carrier, I put him to lie down on the seat in a side-lying position with me (I'm the mum). SQ's J seats are very wide in a 1-2-1 configuration. Obviously whether this works for you depends on whether the seat is wide enough, but otherwise, I will just cradle my LO and put my seat into a cradle positon too (more comfortable than a fully flat bed, if I have to hold onto my child).
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:53 am

With two parents and one kid, this works fine. There's generally enough space on the armrests between the seats to balance food so that you can manage meals with one tray table and one kid sleeping. Two kids changes the equation. If this were me, I'd book 3 economy class seats.

If that's not an option, will you have access to bassinets? You may have to trade off meals, with one parent taking both kids while the other eats, then trading off.

How do you handle nap time? You let the child fall asleep while they are in your lap. Not much more you can do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.