Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Business Class and First Class with children [Merged Threads]

Business Class and First Class with children [Merged Threads]

Old Jan 10, 2021, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by opus2002
Eramus said choice B (two in window, two in center, which I agree. Now, I am thinking how about all of us in window seats. What do you think?
Best to keep the family group as compact (with the least amount of space) as possible in the cabin. Setting up to play 3/3+ row telephone in the business/first class cabins is not a generally welcome idea.
Erasmus and sapman986 like this.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 11:49 am

AA Boeing 787-900 First Class with Child Safety Seats

Has anyone flown child safety seats First Class on AA Boeing Dreamliner lately? We have just booked First Class tickets from HNL-DFW overnight flight in June 2021 for myself, my husband, my adult sister, and my 3yo and 1yo. I have checked with AA customer service 3 times that I would be able to put child safety seats in First Class on the flight and they have all said it would be allowed, even though the website says no on "business class". One said that I wouldn't have been able to assign their seats online if it wasn't allowed. I am skeptical. I have been searching online and on this website and all consensus seems to be that the safety seats will not be allowed bc of FAA regs or bc of airbag seatbelts. Has anyone successfully done this? I am now wondering if I should cancel the 1 yo's seat all together since I wouldn't be able to reach her bc of the divide between seats and just hold her/sleep with her next to me. If they don't allow the safety seat in the First Class seat is my 3 yo (40lb) allowed to just be buckled with the plane's seatbelt? Any thoughts? We are flying Premium Economy DFW-HNL since it's a day flight, so this isn't an issue there. TIA!
Old Oct 14, 2021, 3:27 pm

We are flying Business on the 789 Polaris config to Rome with our 8 month old as a lap infant.

the issues is if we choose 1A for the bassinet then my wife and I cannot tag team our daughter because my wife would either sit behind or across the aisle.

how important would the bassinet be and is it worth splitting up.

currently we are in 1D and 1F so we would be able to pass her back and forth and i am reading the foot wells are wider that she might be able to sleep in.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by justdorkin
We are flying Business on the 789 Polaris config to Rome with our 8 month old as a lap infant.

the issues is if we choose 1A for the bassinet then my wife and I cannot tag team our daughter because my wife would either sit behind or across the aisle.

how important would the bassinet be and is it worth splitting up.

currently we are in 1D and 1F so we would be able to pass her back and forth and i am reading the foot wells are wider that she might be able to sleep in.
What airline?

Edit: Oh, Polaris, so United.
justdorkin likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 2:48 pm

Programs: Free Agent
We took our 14 month old as a lap child on the 789 Polaris and had no problems sleeping comfortably with her on my chest. The problem was that she was so entertained by the buttons and raising/lowering the shade or reclining the seat that it took her half the flight to fall asleep! highly recommend the two middle seats that are closer to each other if it's two adults and a lapper.
justdorkin and IliM like this.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 11:00 am

I have never traveled with a lap child on Business before. We booked our tickets in Business, but could not add our 3 month lap child to the ticket. So I booked the ticket, but forgot to add the infant (completely my fault I know). It's been a month, but now when I tried to add an infant, I am told that it will cost $1670 to add a lap child in the business class. For reference, the original cost for each adult was $2470. I am told that it doesn't matter what the original fare is, but this is the cost to add a lap-child.

My understanding is that the international fare is 10% of the adult fare + taxes. Has this policy been changed? Any guidance would be much appreciated.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 3:52 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by d.kiran
My understanding is that the international fare is 10% of the adult fare + taxes. Has this policy been changed? Any guidance would be much appreciated.
It depends on the airline. Some charge 10% of the fare which you have paid, others charge 10% of the full undiscounted fare.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 10:29 am

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
Is this something people do, or would be accepted by the in flight crew? looking to book YVR-NRT later this yr.. and new post covid is traveling with kids... yay.

I'm thinking of booking 2 PE tickets and one J. For my family of four (me, wife, 2yo, and 6mo old (on lap). Plan would be to stay in PE and use the J seat as a bed for my wife when she wants to sleep. Would the flight crew allow this? or is this frowned upon and crew wouldn't appreciate us switching the seat around like this?
Old Jan 31, 2022, 11:34 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by YVRYEGYVR
Is this something people do, or would be accepted by the in flight crew? looking to book YVR-NRT later this yr.. and new post covid is traveling with kids... yay.

I'm thinking of booking 2 PE tickets and one J. For my family of four (me, wife, 2yo, and 6mo old (on lap). Plan would be to stay in PE and use the J seat as a bed for my wife when she wants to sleep. Would the flight crew allow this? or is this frowned upon and crew wouldn't appreciate us switching the seat around like this?
Crew would definitely frown--as likely other passengers in J when they see people moving back and forth. In general, one must stay in your ticketed cabin. Short visits are occasionally tolerated (depends on the airline), but frequent swapping will certainly raise an eye. If you booked tickets this way I'd expect to have to manage both children alone in PE while your wife remained in J for the duration. (And you said "tickets", not seats. Everyone will need a ticket, but the infant does doesn't get a seat unless you pay for it.)
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 7:18 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Erasmus
Crew would definitely frown--as likely other passengers in J when they see people moving back and forth. In general, one must stay in your ticketed cabin. Short visits are occasionally tolerated (depends on the airline), but frequent swapping will certainly raise an eye. If you booked tickets this way I'd expect to have to manage both children alone in PE while your wife remained in J for the duration. (And you said "tickets", not seats. Everyone will need a ticket, but the infant does doesn't get a seat unless you pay for it.)
That’s how I see it too, except I would add that on regular paid tickets the infant doesn't get a seat unless the OP pays for it or gets lucky with having an unoccupied seat adjacent to one of the travelers in PE.

I would also add that some airlines may be more uptight about some people moving between cabins than other airlines are — even with regard to “self-downgrading” temporarily.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 10:18 am

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
Originally Posted by Erasmus
Originally Posted by GUWonder
That’s how I see it too, except I would add that on regular paid tickets the infant doesn't get a seat unless the OP pays for it or gets lucky with having an unoccupied seat adjacent to one of the travelers in PE.

I would also add that some airlines may be more uptight about some people moving between cabins than other airlines are — even with regard to “self-downgrading” temporarily.
How to people travel TPAC with a 2.5yo and a 0.5yo?

Can't imagine any SD or FA upset with wife coming to J to sleep with a quiet baby, or enjoy a meal up there. Kind of a waste actually for us to not use the seat for the entire flight, but just want to use these points. The redemption values are so bad now.... used to have enough for several ATW and now barely enough for one TPAC trip. I don't like AE 2.0
Old Feb 2, 2022, 10:21 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT

Can't imagine any SD or FA upset with wife coming to J to sleep with a quiet baby, or enjoy a meal up there. Kind of a waste actually for us to not use the seat for the entire flight, but just want to use these points. The redemption values are so bad now.... used to have enough for several ATW and now barely enough for one TPAC trip. I don't like AE 2.0
Feel free to disagree, but imagine it--they will not be happy. Asian carriers, especially, will not stand for it one bit. It is indeed a waste, IME.

For my family, we just got J seats for everyone; a bit of overkill for the kids, obviously, but was worth it for our sanity. YMMV.
DeepUnderground likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 4:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, FB Silver, BA Bronze

I would book the seats as you suggested (make sure the infant is considered lapchild of the J ticket) and then have your wife and 6 mo enjoy the journey in J while you look after the 2.5 yo in PE. A short visit (from J to PE, not the other way around) while going to the bathroom would not raise too many eyebrows but spending a considerable amount of time PE would come across as odd I think.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 11:36 pm

I'm going to be traveling with an 18 month old from LAX-AMS on KLM in business and had initially booked a seat for for 18 month, however I'm now finding out that KLM definitively does not permit car seats in business for that flight and am getting conflicting information from the airline about if I can use the CARES harness. Is my best bet to just have my daughter as a lap baby? I was hoping to utilize the lie flats for her so that she could sleep on the flight, but I also don't want to put her in an unsafe position.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 8:08 pm

Has anyone flown Delta One Suites or Turkish Airlines Business class with a lap infant and know if meals are provided for older children? My kid will be 18 months old by then and I can't find any info on how either airline handles meals for lap infants in business class.

Separately, seems like most people agree that the bulkhead seats in the middle are the way to go with a lap infant? Is this so?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.