Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your baby is in my seat

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2005, 5:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by Lindisfarne
Is there any strong research which suggests children in car safety seats in airplanes are safer than being held? The increase in safety might be so marginal so as to make it far more worthwhile to spend the money you would spend on the plane ticket for the child on something which would really increase the child's safety/wellbeing, e.g., organic food, safer toys, safety gadgets for the home, or you could work a few hours less (since you don't have to buy the ticket for the child) and spend that time with the child!

I know some have argued that kids who are held in airplanes are actually safer than being in car seats in an automobile because air travel is safer than car travel.

The horror stories of kids flying around the airplane cabin (pun intended) are really statistical aberrations; statistically, a child's home is probably a far more dangerous place, yet you wouldn't keep your child in a safety seat 24 hours a day at home! You also wouldn't refuse to drive your child around town, despite it being more dangerous than than the child being held while flying. Playing at a park is statistically almost certainly more dangerous than the child being held while flying.

It's important to keep your perspective when it comes to the "safety" argument!

Of course, you might feel your child having it's own seat will make the flight more comfortable for you and the money spent is worth the additional comfort (I personally can bear 2-4 hours of discomfort to save $300 + - although I would try to find flights that are typically not full to capacity - I don't have kids but have nieces and nephews who I've flown with!)

And I agree with all the comments about the flight attendant ultimately being responsible for the situation! S/he completely mismanaged the situation from the initial request from the mother to put the car seat in the airplane seat.
Yes, there are statistics. There's no question that it is safer for a child to be in a car seat on an airplane than in a lap in an airplane. There's also no question that a lap child in an airplane is safer than a child in a car seat in an automobile.

The FAA and AAP (american Association of Pediatricians) both recommend using a car seat on an airplane. However, there are studies that suggest making it mandatory would force more families to drive, and in the long wrong cause more deaths.

As far as whether the costs outweigh the benefits, that's a decision only the parents can make. 4-5 deaths every 10 years seems like good odds. On the other hand, if I could have saved my child's life for $300, I don't think I'd ever forgive myself.

Here's the AAP's policy paper. Here's the FAA's recommendations. And Here's the UCSF study claiming more children would die if the FAA made seats for infants mandatory.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 6:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Thanks for those links.

That rule might have saved four deaths in 10 years!? Holy cats is that a low return on investment.

I'd bet that if you could magically steal $100 from every air traveling family with babies/toddles, you'd cause many multiples of four deaths in 10 years. Such a reduction in resources would likely lead a small, but measurable, number of families to forego some other safety related product or service.

Saving lives is very complicated.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 6:24 pm

I always brought the car seat on the plane (and bought the airplane ticket to go with it) mostly because I needed the car seat once I got to my destination.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 6:27 pm

I wonder how many childrens' lives would have been saved if the money parents spent on airline seats over 10 years had instead been invested in insurance programs for uninsured children ... more than 4-5 in 10 years, I'm sure.

Originally Posted by dhuey
Thanks for those links.

That rule might have saved four deaths in 10 years!? Holy cats is that a low return on investment.

I'd bet that if you could magically steal $100 from every air traveling family with babies/toddles, you'd cause many multiples of four deaths in 10 years. Such a reduction in resources would likely lead a small, but measurable, number of families to forego some other safety related product or service.

On the other hand, if I could have saved my child's life for $300, I don't think I'd ever forgive myself.
How many changes are there that you could you make in your day-to-day life- which would have an even better chance of saving your child's life- that you don't make? For example, do you drive your child in the safest vehicle available? Like I said, it's important to keep things in perspective.

Last edited by Lindisfarne; Mar 22, 2005 at 7:11 pm
Old Mar 22, 2005, 7:26 pm

Thanks for those links.

But how about preventing non-fatal injury, which the study did not evaluate? I know if the plane crashes, odds are all passengers, car seat or no, will die. But what if we hit major turbulence and passengers are tossed around? Or experience a sudden huge drop in altitude where passengers are tossed around? I've been in both of those circumstances and seen unrestrained children injured.

As far as I can find, there is yet to be a reliable study of how many injuries could be prevented by mandating age and size appropriate restraints for children.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Analise
If we are blessed to have children, we will do what our parents did when we were growing up. We didn't fly until we were old enough to know how to behave in public. Age 6 or so.

I won't put a baby through the ordeal of flying.
It sounds like the mother is the one who needs to grow up! Bringing kids on planes is easy if you've taught them appropriate limits, and, as to infants, ensure proper feeding and sleep. My wife and I did it often, with nary a problem.
The woman then stated again that my being there would cause the baby to scream the entire flight. I retorted, "then you clearly won't be elected mother of the year by anybody with a brain". People laughed.
By the way, the baby was fine during most of the flight. She cried only a few times but that's pretty much par for the course. Again, I had my music so I was in my own world.
How did the mother behave during the rest of the flight?

Hindsight is 20/20 on the IDB. I wouldn't have thought of it at the time, either. Having to wait six hours, with your husband already aboard, likely wouldn't have been worth it.

Sorry to hear about the problem at security.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Hindsight is 20/20 on the IDB. I wouldn't have thought of it at the time, either. Having to wait six hours, with your husband already aboard, likely wouldn't have been worth it.
Exactly. I just wanted to go home.

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
How did the mother behave during the rest of the flight?
She kept to herself. When she got up to walk around with the baby, I and the person in 39A got up to use the facilities so we didn't have to deal with disturbing her and the baby. Actually, I didn't want to disturb the baby. I could have cared less about the mother.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by SptCA
But how about preventing non-fatal injury, which the study did not evaluate? I know if the plane crashes, odds are all passengers, car seat or no, will die. But what if we hit major turbulence and passengers are tossed around? Or experience a sudden huge drop in altitude where passengers are tossed around? I've been in both of those circumstances and seen unrestrained children injured.

As far as I can find, there is yet to be a reliable study of how many injuries could be prevented by mandating age and size appropriate restraints for children.
This from the FAA:
http://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_safe/turbulence/

Each year, approximately 58 people in the United States are injured by turbulence while not wearing their seat belts.
From 1980 through June 2004, U.S. air carriers had 198 turbulence accidents*, resulting in 266 serious injuries and three fatalities.
At least two of the three fatalities involved passengers who were not wearing their seat belts while the seat belt sign was illuminated.
Generally, two-thirds of turbulence-related accidents occur at or above 30,000 feet.
*The National Transportation Safety Board defines an accident as an occurrence associated with the operations of an airplane in which any person suffers death or serious injury or in which the aircraft receives substantial damage.

So, that's about 11 serious injuries or deaths per year from turbulence. There's no mention of ages of the injured, but one would think that very few of these 269 were babies or toddlers.

Speaking of non-fatal injuries, has anyone here lugged a 30 lb. baby carrier for 30 rows down a narrow aisle, with lots of passengers seated in the aisle seats? How about with other bags and while coaxing baby's big sister to keep moving? It's a minor miracle I never hurt anyone else or myself while doing this.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 11:16 am

This from the FAA:
http://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_safe/turbulence/

Each year, approximately 58 people in the United States are injured by turbulence while not wearing their seat belts.
From 1980 through June 2004, U.S. air carriers had 198 turbulence accidents*, resulting in 266 serious injuries and three fatalities.
At least two of the three fatalities involved passengers who were not wearing their seat belts while the seat belt sign was illuminated.
Generally, two-thirds of turbulence-related accidents occur at or above 30,000 feet.
*The National Transportation Safety Board defines an accident as an occurrence associated with the operations of an airplane in which any person suffers death or serious injury or in which the aircraft receives substantial damage.

So, that's about 11 serious injuries or deaths per year from turbulence. There's no mention of ages of the injured, but one would think that very few of these 269 were babies or toddlers.

Speaking of non-fatal injuries, has anyone here lugged a 30 lb. baby carrier for 30 rows down a narrow aisle, with lots of passengers seated in the aisle seats? How about with other bags and while coaxing baby's big sister to keep moving? It's a minor miracle I never hurt anyone else or myself while doing this.
Sorry, but I don't believe those stats are anywhere close to accurate. In 1999 I flew 8 segments and personally witnessed 2 children, on different flights, be injured while the planes made sudden, sharp movements - what are the odds of one person witnessing 2 out of the alleged only 58 incidents per year? I think that:

a) incidents are underreported for a variety of reasons, including but not limited to airlines wishing to avoid liability
b) The NTSB definition has a lot of wiggle room as to what consititutes as in-flight injury.

As there is no breakdown of the injured by age group, it isn't reasonable to assume that "very few of these 269 were babies or toddlers" - how do you know if the ratio of injured children to adults is equal to the ratio of children to adults flying overall? What would your reaction be if you learned that children represent 30% of those injured, but only 5% of the total flying population?

And, yes, I have carried a car seat, child and carry-ons down the aisle of quite a few planes without injurying anyone. It really wasn't very difficult at all.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 11:36 am

I'm guessing that the percentage of babies/infants among the seriously injured is small, because if it were large, we'd probably see it highlighted either by the FAA or by one of the studies looking at baby/infant deaths due to turbulence. Also, it seems to me that those at greatest risk during unexpected turbulence would be people standing up -- something babies and toddlers don't do too much on a plane.

Even if every one of the 11 seriously injuried or killed passengers were lap babies/toddlers, it would still be a dubious proposition to mandate the purchase of the extra seat for the reasons outlined by UCSF. If extra driving would cause extra deaths, it would surely cause extra non-fatal injuries as well.

I'll go with the reported stats; you can go with the supposition that airlines and their employees are violating their injury reporting obligations to the FAA in a big way.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 8:48 pm

Also, it seems to me that those at greatest risk during unexpected turbulence would be people standing up -- something babies and toddlers don't do too much on a plane.
Well, it seems to me that those at greatest risk are those that are never actually restrained at all, namely lap children. Just today I saw a parent "bouncing" their child up in the air, during turbulance bad enough that only my seatbelt was keeping me in my jumpseat. And I would say greater than 70% of the time parents don't do their toddler's seatbelts up firm enough to do any good, when they bother to strap them in at all.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 9:12 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
When we lived in Las Vegas, we flew frequently with our 3 young children. On every flight home we saw people pointing at us and whispering. Our children were well-behaved but we were obviously horrible parents dragging our little children to Vegas so we could gamble.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarTN
When we lived in Las Vegas, we flew frequently with our 3 young children. On every flight home we saw people pointing at us and whispering. Our children were well-behaved but we were obviously horrible parents dragging our little children to Vegas so we could gamble.
If you were putting them in somebody else's paid seats, perhaps that's why they were pointing at you? It could have nothing to do with gambling!
Old Mar 24, 2005, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lindisfarne
(I personally can bear 2-4 hours of discomfort to save $300
As infant fares are only 20% of the adult fare, this would mean you're taking 2 hour, $1500 one-way flights. What route is this?
Also, it seems to me that those at greatest risk during unexpected turbulence would be people standing up -- something babies and toddlers don't do too much on a plane.
I wouldn't assume that. Lap children aren't restrained either, and infants are more fragile.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Doppy
As infant fares are only 20% of the adult fare, this would mean you're taking 2 hour, $1500 one-way flights. What route is this?

I wouldn't assume that. Lap children aren't restrained either, and infants are more fragile.
Which airline offers infant fares that are 20% of the adult fares? On United, it's 50% of the applicable adult fare. I believe that is the deal with most of the major carriers.

Here's something from the National Transportation Safety Board to back up my assumptions.
http://www.ntsb.gov/events/1999/meet...ler/sld001.htm

The NTSB puts it well: "Don't Solve Problems by Creative Problems..."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.