Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Airlines that do not offer the pre-boarding of kids/infants

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airlines that do not offer the pre-boarding of kids/infants

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2005, 5:19 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Delta does not make pre-boarding announcements. They will allow people to pre-board if they need to (e.g., disabled), but I wouldn't count on it to just carry on a car seat. Why do you feel that you need to pre-board? It's not that hard to board with kids along with everyone else; I've done it plenty of times.

Ask for a bulkhead seat at check-in if you would prefer to sit there. Gate check the stroller (no need to store it in the plane since you can't use it).
Old Apr 27, 2005, 7:24 pm

Programs: skymiles,
We fly frequently with our kiddos - 20 mos and 4.5 yrs and never preboard. In fact we are almost always the last to board so that the kids are cooped just that litttle bit less.

Installing the car seat is pretty easy. I take the kids and gear, husband takes the seat and walks on before me. I fold up the stroller and wait on the gang way for a little bit and then wait towards the front of the plane while he puts it in the seat. Takes no more than 5 minutes.

As for the first part of your question - Delta no longer offers pre-boarding, but if you asked the gate attendant they might allow it. As they say, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Happy flying!
Old Apr 27, 2005, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by vsobotta
As for the first part of your question - Delta no longer offers pre-boarding, but if you asked the gate attendant they might allow it. As they say, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
I fly Delta regularly. We took our, at the time, 8 month old on a trip to Chicago. Out of 4 segements, they let us pre board on 3. On the other one, we were told it was Delta's policy that they no longer allow preboarding of people with small children.
The ironic part is the reason she gave. She said it was because they typically tend to clog the aisles with all their stuff. I didn't point out that would be a reason FOR preboarding.

It is not a huge deal, depending on where you are flying. Most people are fine and in many cases helpful.

As far as the stroller, you will likely have to gate check it, but usually by the time you get off the plane, it will be planeside waiting for you.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
I fly Delta regularly. We took our, at the time, 8 month old on a trip to Chicago. Out of 4 segements, they let us pre board on 3. On the other one, we were told it was Delta's policy that they no longer allow preboarding of people with small children.
The ironic part is the reason she gave. She said it was because they typically tend to clog the aisles with all their stuff. I didn't point out that would be a reason FOR preboarding.

It is not a huge deal, depending on where you are flying. Most people are fine and in many cases helpful.

As far as the stroller, you will likely have to gate check it, but usually by the time you get off the plane, it will be planeside waiting for you.
This is preceisely the reason I want to preboard. It will allow me time to get the seat strapped in while my wife waits to board last with the little one. The reason of clogging up the aisles does indeed make zero sense. If the seat were already there, it is a simple matter of dropping the kid into it.

Either way, if I do not get a positive response the first time, I will ask other gate agents at our gate until I get a positive response from at least one or a no from all. Sure does not hurt to try.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 10:24 am

We've always tried to preboard, both child and car seat. Depending on the model of seat you have, it can be tricky to buckle it, especially in a crowd. We learned that the easiest way to fastern ours in was from behind - standing in the row behind the seat, and reaching through to get the strap tightened - an FA on AS showed us the trick - but it is hard to do if someone is already in that seat behind you. Also, my son needs a moment or two to look around a new place - he settles down faster if he can check out the plane before we strap in him. If he can preboard and look around while I fasten down the seat, the trip goes easier for us. The one time we did the staggered boarding, Mom and seat first, Dad and child last, he got on board the plane hyped up and didn't take well to immediately being strapped down.

Your kid may vary.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by SptCA
We've always tried to preboard, both child and car seat. Depending on the model of seat you have, it can be tricky to buckle it, especially in a crowd. We learned that the easiest way to fastern ours in was from behind - standing in the row behind the seat, and reaching through to get the strap tightened - an FA on AS showed us the trick - but it is hard to do if someone is already in that seat behind you. Also, my son needs a moment or two to look around a new place - he settles down faster if he can check out the plane before we strap in him. If he can preboard and look around while I fasten down the seat, the trip goes easier for us. The one time we did the staggered boarding, Mom and seat first, Dad and child last, he got on board the plane hyped up and didn't take well to immediately being strapped down.

Your kid may vary.
This is exactly the reason I want to preboard. First I will feel much safer if my kid is in a car seat, and second, I want to be able to get it strapped in without worrying about what other passengers are up to.

To me, it seems logical that it would go much quicker this way, and letting me on early does not inconvience anyone else in any way.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We always (well, nearly always) boarded first when our twins were in car seats - it can take a few minutes to strap the seats down, stow the bags, strap the kids in, etc. Of course, top-tier status practically guaranteed that we were among the first to board, even when no pre-boarding for parents with small children was permitted.

Aisles get clogged because clueless morons clog the aisles, not because frequent flying parents are allowed to preboard in order to stow their kids. Far too many people perform each and every activity while standing in and blocking the aisle with their fat ... instead of performing these activities while inside their row.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 7:09 am

Also, travelling with an infat/children means you will have a large (diaper) bag with a change of clothes, food, toys, etc. that you need to access regularly. If you board last you often won't be able to stow it.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 10:00 pm

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
What Major Airlines Still have infant pre-boarding?

Hi,

My wife was just traveling to Europe with our two infants and was surpized that American Airlines no longer pre-boards parents traveling with infants (1-2 years old).

Does anyone know which major airlines with international service still allow pre-boarding with infants?

Thanks!
Old Jun 29, 2005, 11:36 pm

With American, at least as of May 25 when I spoke with a GA, it depends on the airport you are flying out of. At heavy tourist destinations (or flights TO heavy tourist destinations - such as MCO) where there can be dozens of families on a flight, they do not pre-board. However, they pre-boarded out of LAX last time I was there a couple of weeks ago. So, the moral of that story is YMMV!

Last time I flew UA with the kids in January they did preboard us. Don't know if status came into play or if it is their policy. Can't speak to the other airlines.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pretty much all of them do.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 8:24 am

Programs: WorldPerks
I know that KLM, NW, and Luftansa have infant pre-boarding. KLM is yhe most child friendly.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I was on an AA flight from ORD to SAN on Monday. There was a couple with 14 month old triplets in the boarding area. You can imagine the attention cute red headed triplets got. The father boarded with his group, carrying a car seat and some bags. After the entire flight had boarded, he was able to get off and go to help his wife board. An FA was somewhat caustic, telling him he shouldn't be getting off the plane once boarded. He said that they would prefer to preboard, but that AA did not allow it. In a few minutes, back he came with his wife, 3 babies, and additional bags.
I can confirm AA still does not allow pre-boarding with infants (as of 12/09) even when specifically requested. The exact response from AA personnel was "you can board with zone A". We then decided to wait until the very last minute to board which delayed the departure slightly. It seems it would be in AA's interest to pre-board infants as much as ours (family). We are dropping our rewards program with AA and are considering alternatives.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
We are dropping our rewards program with AA and are considering alternatives.

Good luck with that. I don't know of any US carriers which pre-board families with young children anymore.

PS- Why bump a five year old thread?

Edited to add that I flew Alaska Airlines last week and they do pre-board families with children.

Last edited by lost*in*cyberspace; Sep 6, 2010 at 8:30 am
Old Dec 29, 2009, 9:46 pm

Programs: General member, former 1P
We fly a lot with Baby Flavorflav, now 2. Early boarding is very YMMV. Despite published policies at many airlines, the GA just does whatever they feel like. If you really want to board early, ask.

Also: Don't leave an airline over this issue. You're crazy if you think you're going to find Airline X that always, 100 percent of the time, lets kids board early.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.