Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Mileage accrual on Infant tickets?

Old May 23, 04, 3:09 am
Original Poster

I was just looking for a ticket TXL - LAX for my partner and our daughter and noticed that even so she's just 14 weeks old the airlines charge for her. It's not that much but still. I've always been under the impression that infants would fly for free.
So if they charge for a ticket will she accrue miles?

Thanks
Axel
Old May 23, 04, 7:54 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus, Carbon Conscious Travel, FlyerTalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM/Plat; AS MVP 75K; AA gold; Fairmont & Starwood platinum; Hyatt diamond; Kimpton IC Elite
On international flights most airlines charge 10 percent for a lap child under age 2. Those fares are generally not eligible for miles. The discounted international fares for children 2-11 (usually they're 67 percent of the adult fare) do earn miles.
Old May 23, 04, 8:10 pm

I don't know about lap babies - but my son (10 mo) always gets miles on NW for his tickets. I buy a discounted infant fare for him, and he'll make silver this year (before I requalify, due to my use of miles for a few tickets....)
Old May 24, 04, 7:26 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus, Carbon Conscious Travel, FlyerTalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM/Plat; AS MVP 75K; AA gold; Fairmont & Starwood platinum; Hyatt diamond; Kimpton IC Elite
Some people have reported that they've sometimes gotten the mileage credit for an infant fare, even when the rules specifically say otherwise. Best bet is to enter the child's number, but don't expect the miles. If they come, it's a nice bonus.
Old May 24, 04, 8:55 am

Programs: LH FTL, KL Platinum, AB Gold, BA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt GP Diamond
age restrictions

AFAIK with mostt FF programs you can only enroll from age 2 and up (i.e. the age when we start paying for real seats).
Any programmes where this is not the case (esp. *A) as I will take my daughter (6mo.) from LHR - HNL which should earn her a lot of miles.
Bastiaan
Old May 24, 04, 9:33 am

AFAIK with mostt FF programs you can only enroll from age 2 and up (i.e. the age when we start paying for real seats).
There's nothing to keep you from paying full fare (or the discounted fare for kids 2-11) and buying your infant an actual seat. In that case they, of course, earn full miles.
Old May 24, 04, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bastiaan
Any programmes where this is not the case (esp. *A) as I will take my daughter (6mo.) from LHR - HNL which should earn her a lot of miles.
Bastiaan
AAdvantage will sign up any child of any age.

50% INF fares (domestic only) do not earn miles, but sometimes AA goofs and awards miles anyway.

I bought my kids "real seats" for their first airplane trip, at about 8 weeks old.
Old May 24, 04, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Here's a really old thread with some additional discussion on this topic:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4317
Old May 24, 04, 5:16 pm

My 15 month old has about 15k miles in her AA account. They do give miles on a 50% ticket but not as a lap baby (domestic or international). I started this way with my 4 y.o. and she is now AA Gold.
Old May 25, 04, 6:42 pm

My son was born in January and I registered him for CO One Pass when he was one week old.

Since then he has flown one RT as a lap child and one domestic infant fare (1/2 price) where he got the full EQM ^ .

Keba

Search this Thread
Search Engine: