Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

The Travel With Children - Single Parent Travelling With Child(ren) Thread [Merged]

The Travel With Children - Single Parent Travelling With Child(ren) Thread [Merged]

Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
A couple of comments and a question...

Since the birth of my 3rd child last summer, I've been traveling quite a bit from Seattle to Canada alone with the kids, mostly to ski. Each time, I've gone and gotten a notarized letter of consent from my husband to travel. Sometimes I got asked for it, sometimes not. Anyway, when I went to the Nexus interview for the baby, they told me I didn't need to do that anymore -- just have my husband sign the letter and affix a photocopy of the signature page of my husband's passports so that they could see that the signatures matched. I haven't tried this yet, but probably will in the future. I haven't gotten any hassle at all going into Canada since we all got the Nexus cards (only returning, ironically, due to last name mismatch).

Second comment (and sorry if this is a DUH!): but if you're in the Puget Sound area looking to get a Nexus card, don't even bother trying to get an interview at the Boeing Field office -- they're booked like 6 months out. If you have the time, consider driving up to Blaine -- you can get same- or next-day appointments most of the time.

Finally, I'm thinking about doing a mom and daughter trip to South America with my eldest in August who will be 9, which will ideally include Chile, Bolivia, and Peru. I've taken her to Chile before, 6 years ago, and it was a significant hassle getting the notarization/authentication of permission to travel with her there -- US notary first, then had to take the letter, translated into Spanish, to the Consulate in LA to get a second authorization Anyway, now we're in a place with only an "honorary" consulate, not an actual one, and it's in Olympia, not Seattle...

1) Do I really need to get double authentication (US Notary AND Consul authentication)? The statement from Chile regarding necessary documentation is very confusing and seems to indicate that the US notarized document can be authenticated and legalized IN CHILE.
2) Can an honorary consul do it?
3) As far as Bolivia goes, it looks like we need Visas -- can I obtain these at the consulate in Vancouver, even though we're not Canadian?
4) Same for Peru...need a Permiso Notorial de Viaje. Can we take care of this in Vancouver?
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Boilivia and Peru have a history of issuing visas to applicants applying for such even in countries in which the applicants are non-citizens and non-residents.

Originally Posted by fredandgingermad
I'm taking by notorized that it's means signed in the presence of and then signed by a solicitor? I'm hopefully going to Canada in July with my little boy and from what I understand I'll need a letter as his dad's not coming
The CBSA accepted my relatives in without these letters or with letters that were not notarized or otherwise not signed by anyone beside perhaps the custodial parents and possibly even rather random strangers.

This should give you an idea of what kind of thing works, even when not legally required.

https://travel.gc.ca/docs/child/cons...tement-eng.pdf
Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:29 am

Exclamation Help! Traveling with my son w/o his dad

Went home to my country last year got married to my sons dad. So when we get back to US I requested to change my sons birth certificate and add his dad name on it.

I wanted to go back to travel next year but i wanna know if i have to update my sons passport. My husband's not here yet. I still have the old birth cert ( just me on it, so didnt have problems when getting his passport and travel)

If updating my sons passport it will be needing a lot of stuff and sending paper from my country to here is quite expensive. Im thinking i can still use his passport and the old birth cert i have. but not sure if this is okay.

Please any thoughts? will appreciate it.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Did you change your child's surname, or just add your husband to the birth certificate as the father?

I wouldn't think you'd need to change the passport if your son's name did not change. However, if he adopted your husband's surname, then you absolutely should renew his passport.

(EDIT: I am not a lawyer or otherwise expert in this field)
Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Did you change your child's surname, or just add your husband to the birth certificate as the father?

I wouldn't think you'd need to change the passport if your son's name did not change. However, if he adopted your husband's surname, then you absolutely should renew his passport.

(EDIT: I am not a lawyer or otherwise expert in this field)
I also changed his name. his name was first name then my surname. Now he has my last name as middle name and his dads surname as his surname. Well, i still have his old birth certificate. im thinking if i can still use that birth cert when we travel
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:31 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by mericoy
I also changed his name. his name was first name then my surname. Now he has my last name as middle name and his dads surname as his surname. Well, i still have his old birth certificate. im thinking if i can still use that birth cert when we travel
You will need a valid passport with his photo in a name matching the ticket you purchased. Whether that is currently the child's legal name is likely a question for the authorities (who may well pay attention if only one parent is traveling as they keep an eye out for kidnapping and the like), but doesn't seem like something the airline would know/care about.

As with the previous poster, I am not a lawyer, and would obviously recommend you keep everything on the up-and-up.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
I assume you bring the birth certificate that shows your name as the only parent, to avoid the hassle of getting dad's permission to travel. If you bring this birth certificate, and it matches the name on his passport you should be fine.
I have absolutely no idea if immigration in any country has access to the information that the child's dad has been added to his birth certificate. That could cause a problem.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Parental consent letter for 1 parent taking child internationally?

Dad (me) and young daughter are traveling IAD-IST-CAI, meeting up with family members there for an Egypt tour.

Since Mom will not be traveling, what measures do I need to take to ensure no issues/questions at TK checkin regarding non-traveling parent's consent for other parent taking a minor child out of the US? Is a notarized consent letter sufficient?

Since Mom will not be present at IAD with us, I want to be prepared for any issues. We're all US citizens, I have GE. No family/interests/ties whatsoever to Egypt (or Turkey).
Old Oct 10, 2017, 1:06 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
I understand this issue has been discussed before in our "Travel with children" forum so I am moving this over there.

starflyergold
Turkish Airlines M&S forum moderator
Old Oct 12, 2017, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
Dad (me) and young daughter are traveling IAD-IST-CAI, meeting up with family members there for an Egypt tour.

Since Mom will not be traveling, what measures do I need to take to ensure no issues/questions at TK checkin regarding non-traveling parent's consent for other parent taking a minor child out of the US? Is a notarized consent letter sufficient?

Since Mom will not be present at IAD with us, I want to be prepared for any issues. We're all US citizens, I have GE. No family/interests/ties whatsoever to Egypt (or Turkey).
Just make sure the connection in IST won't present a problem with the current Visa problems between US/Turkey.

I've done travel many times with my minor child, with just a signed letter. Never done it in Egypt, though.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Just make sure the connection in IST won't present a problem with the current Visa problems between US/Turkey.

I've done travel many times with my minor child, with just a signed letter. Never done it in Egypt, though.

Thanks. Have done that several times, but always when my wife takes our daughter overseas without me. This is first time that I'll be taking her without my wife, and first time on TK and first time to Egypt, hence wondering if any special considerations due to those aspects.

And have already modified our TK flights so that we remain in international transit at IST, and give up the quick 1-day tour of Istanbul.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Hi - am traveling to HKG (From the US) with my 10 year old.
My wife is not coming

So my question, do i need a consent letter, and is there one in particular that is requested for Hong Kong?
We do have passports, and i understand Visa is not required

Thanks
Old Feb 9, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Dad to Rei
My wife is not coming

So my question, do i need a consent letter, and is there one in particular that is requested for Hong Kong?

Thanks
Every country is different. I'd check the consulate website. But IMHO it never hurts to have a consent letter.
cestmoi123 and princeville like this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Dad to Rei
My wife is not coming

Thanks
Even countries that don't specifically require a consent letter can always ask so I always travel with one. Over the years I have been asked for it in England (once entering LHR and once departing Newhaven port), departing FRA and departing ZRH. FWIW, we were in HKG last summer and were not asked, but that's obviously not a guarantee. They did scan my son's forehead as we arrived to check his temp so make sure you don't have a fever!
Old Feb 11, 2018, 5:22 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by princeville
Even countries that don't specifically require a consent letter can always ask so I always travel with one. Over the years I have been asked for it in England (once entering LHR and once departing Newhaven port), departing FRA and departing ZRH. FWIW, we were in HKG last summer and were not asked, but that's obviously not a guarantee. They did scan my son's forehead as we arrived to check his temp so make sure you don't have a fever!
Thanks, that's great to know, i will instruct her to not be sick when we arrive

I found a consent letter online as an example. I don't see a specific one for HKG anywhere, so ill go with that.

Thanks all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.