Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

The Travel With Children - Single Parent Travelling With Child(ren) Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Travel With Children - Single Parent Travelling With Child(ren) Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2007, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA Platinum - SPG Platinum
It seems quite appropriate to assume he was not accompanying them at the time.

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
you say "wife" so i assume no divorce or separation. why on earth would customs/immigration be concerned with only ONE parent accompanies the child? they must see it every other entry especially these days.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
you say "wife" so i assume no divorce or separation. why on earth would customs/immigration be concerned with only ONE parent accompanies the child? they must see it every other entry especially these days.

Customs/immigration doesn't know whether the parents are together or divorced/separated. I had a friend whose ex-husband took their daughter back to his homeland and she spent two years getting her daugther back, so I understand the need for questioning.

My husband travels with a copy of his divorce decree anytime he is traveling solo with his daughter in case he ever has any issues but has never been asked for anything.

A note is good "just in case".
Old Mar 4, 2007, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA Platinum - SPG Platinum
I carry a copy of my divorce decree as well. Never once have I had to show it or even been asked.

Joe

Originally Posted by baglady
Customs/immigration doesn't know whether the parents are together or divorced/separated. I had a friend whose ex-husband took their daughter back to his homeland and she spent two years getting her daugther back, so I understand the need for questioning.

My husband travels with a copy of his divorce decree anytime he is traveling solo with his daughter in case he ever has any issues but has never been asked for anything.

A note is good "just in case".
Old May 10, 2007, 11:28 am

Programs: US-Chairman's Preferred
Single Parent Travel

I have discovered a site that offers a bunch of fantastic advice for single parents traveleing with the carpet munchers.

www.singleparenttravel.net

The owner of the site wrote a handbook for single parent travelers and they are beginning to offer single parent trips (avoiding the dreaded full price for a kid)

Just thought someone might be interested
Old May 10, 2007, 1:23 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
This doesn't really apply to me, but one comment. You might want to edit your post and use a different term to refer to children. Googling your euphemism will show some results with a very different meaning than you intended.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 8:44 am

Programs: ba
Documents Needed for Travel with only one parent

I am travelling overseas with my 2 year old without my husband. What documentation do I require, if any, from him to say it is OK to travel with her? I understand some airlines need a letter or similar. We are flying ORD-MAN-GLA and return with bmi.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 11:42 am

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
See http://www.singleparenttravel.net/Wr...ination.htm#UK
ENTRY INTO THE UNITED KINGDOM
British Consulate in NY
(212) 745-0200
http://www.britainusa.com

According to Steve Thompson at the NY British Consulate the only thing required to get into the UK for an adult and minor child is a passport, a return ticket and spending money. Continental Airlines confirmed this, but added that it would be better if a single parent traveled with a notarized permission letter.
They have a sample letter you can use if you choose to take one along.

Also, this thread (and others) have good information:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=590085
Old Jul 12, 2007, 11:55 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Here are a bunch of previous threads on this that should provide lots of info:

[Moderator's Note] Thanks, l'etiole, for helping identify the threads. They've been consolidated into a single thread for easier viewing and searches.

FH and BAMAT, Co-Moderators.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 12, 2007 at 12:50 pm
Old Jul 13, 2007, 4:45 am

Here is a letter that I use. It is not REQUIRED by many countries, but I always recommend that people carry it since it has an element of power of attorney in case of an incapacitated adult.

Sometimes a notary is not possible, so take the letter without a signature.

http://www.travelswithfred.com/downl...ent_Letter.pdf
Old Nov 15, 2007, 10:41 am

Programs: US,HH
Has anyone had any experience when the ex-spouse refuses to allow the child to travel? Do I need to get a court order?
I'm planning on taking my daughter to Mexico over Christmas and my ex-husband refuses to sign an authorization to travel saying Mexico is dangerous.
Not anymore dangerous than when he took her to the AZ state fair on McDowell Rd. a couple of weeks ago.

The divorce decree states that I only need to inform him.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by kellio33
Has anyone had any experience when the ex-spouse refuses to allow the child to travel? Do I need to get a court order?
I'm planning on taking my daughter to Mexico over Christmas and my ex-husband refuses to sign an authorization to travel saying Mexico is dangerous.
Not anymore dangerous than when he took her to the AZ state fair on McDowell Rd. a couple of weeks ago.

The divorce decree states that I only need to inform him.
I have two experiences - one is my friend who has family out of the country. She had to get a court order as her ex wanted the court to be the minders of the passports. She won and has control over the passports - only has to notify him - he cannot keep her from doing so without taking her to court.

Mr. Baglady's ex will not allow their daughter to have a passport; therefore we cannot take her out of the country (as both parents have to authorize a passport) until she has a passport. We could go to court, but it's just not worth it. I hope one of these days she will allow it, but can't change her mind - only she can.

I would say based on your case and him not authorizing a letter you can A) Risk it and hope you won't need a letter and just show your divorce decree showing you just need to inform him and show a register letter (with return receipt) that you've informed him or B) Take him to court and chance it there. The best of luck to you.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 4:40 am

Mexico used to require a notarized letter of consent. That has been rescinded now, but I have found that the message has not been given to all the immigration authorities.

The older the child the better.

But if you are stopped, you can likely explain the situation with a custody order, divorce decree and the documents linking your daughter to you (birth certificate, passport, etc)

Remember, if you are flying, you BOTH need a passport to do so.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 4:49 am

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
One Parent travelling Int'l with the kids...

I tried searching, as I thought there should be some posts on this topic...searched both here & the Travel Safety/Security forum, but didn't find anything.

My wife will be flying solo with our 2 kids to the country of her birth nationality (she is now a US citizen). I will be meeting them there after some work travel - we will all fly home together. I have heard different things about this situation, but basically, will the airline ask for some sort of letter/documentation to determine that she is not taking the kids without authorization? I have heard this happens when 1 parent is flying Int'l. The International Child Kidnapping law or something....

Is a signed letter from me sufficient? Or does it need to be notarized? Or is there some other documentation we should get?

She will have a copy of my flight itinerary showing we are meeting up and flying back to the US together.

Just want to make sure there are no problems for them.

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 5:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold 1MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Five Star
We have never had any problems in the several years that we have lived overseas. To my wife's regret, she has traveled several times with the kid/kids alone and has never been asked any of these questions on UA or other airlines
Old Nov 16, 2007, 5:19 am

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
ok, thanks for that. Just as a note, the country we are going to is where you are located...my wife is originally from Andhra...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.