Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Traveling with other people's children

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2022, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold

I'm a man in my early 70s. Sometime in August, I'm planning to take my 15-year-old goddaughter to Europe for a week (countries undecided, but would possibly include one or more of Spain, Germany, and Greece). She wants to bring along her 14-year-old best friend (also a girl), whose parents know me and are OK with the idea. The world being what it is these days, should I be concerned about some overzealous official suspecting me of being a child trafficker? Or am I being paranoid? If anyone here has done this I would love to hear about some first-hand experiences. If there's a chance that I could be "detained" and separated from the girls while things are being sorted out, I may scrap the idea entirely as that's not a risk I'm willing to take.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
ive never done this but i cant imagine this is an issue. people travel with their kids and kids friends all the time.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by njxbean
ive never done this but i cant imagine this is an issue. people travel with their kids and kids friends all the time.
1. The problem is that these are not my kids. I have no blood relationship to either of them.
2. Some countries (e.g., Brazil) have very strict rules about travel with children, even your own.

Last edited by vasantn; Jul 5, 2022 at 8:53 pm
Old Jul 5, 2022, 9:23 pm
Community Director Emerita

You will need a signed and notarized letter from the parents to be allowed to board flights. You also should consider what you need should there be any medical issues and you have to get treatment for one of them.

https://www.lawdepot.com/blog/3-docu...with-children/
Redhead likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 2:29 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by vasantn
I'm a man in my early 70s. Sometime in August, I'm planning to take my 15-year-old goddaughter to Europe for a week (countries undecided, but would possibly include one or more of Spain, Germany, and Greece). She wants to bring along her 14-year-old best friend (also a girl), whose parents know me and are OK with the idea. The world being what it is these days, should I be concerned about some overzealous official suspecting me of being a child trafficker? Or am I being paranoid? If anyone here has done this I would love to hear about some first-hand experiences. If there's a chance that I could be "detained" and separated from the girls while things are being sorted out, I may scrap the idea entirely as that's not a risk I'm willing to take.
Kids go on trips from the US to Europe with just their teachers or even with relatively unfamiliar chaperones for events. They can do it, so can you.

Get a permissions slip letter from the parents — notarization not required — that lists the kids’ info, the trip info/purpose, the parents’ info (including birth certificate and ID copies for demonstration of relationship), parents contact information. That and having the ability to video call over the internet with the parents means it should work out just fine. It may also help to have a medical authorization form from the parents in case there is a health care need that needs to be met on the trip.

Is there a chance you could be misperceived by passport control or airline employees? Yes, it happens. And the chances of it happening on a racist profiling basis can mean more trouble for some.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 6, 2022 at 2:34 am
Old Jul 6, 2022, 5:31 am

Programs: BAEC
We repatriated my other's half niece back to the US without problem, and IIRC without any significant documentation. The tip we were given by her parents, perhaps from experience, is if the child is asked anything by an official, don't coach them, let them answer themselves, if they can of course.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn
Perhaps once you decide on a destination, contact their embassy/consulate and ask if there are specific regulations or required documents when minors travel with someone other than their parents.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Great suggestions here; thank you all.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 12:39 am

Once in Schengen there is no passport control. Check rules for entry and exit for that relevant country. Hotels might also be an issue as trafficking is on the up with the war in Ukraine and there might be increased surveillance. Staying in one room would be a red flag.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by erik123
Check rules for entry and exit for that relevant country. Hotels might also be an issue as trafficking is on the up with the war in Ukraine and there might be increased surveillance. Staying in one room would be a red flag.
Indeed. But also having two rooms booked can be a red flag.

Still, better with two rooms than one. I definitely recall no one in my classes wanting to have to be in the same room as the chaperones, no matter how well they got along at school or home.
Old Dec 10, 2022, 9:50 am

Programs: Spell on You
very excellent experience traveling with my children.

Last edited by Waynegi; Dec 10, 2022 at 9:57 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.