Car seat cart vs stroller

Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:58 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by knownothing
Once again a negative response. The majority of rear facing seats DO work on an airplane (although the guy in front of you will not be happy). Look for a label on your seat that says, “This restraint is certified for use in motor vehicles and aircraft.”
Try to stick to the ball in the game rather than introducing a different ball when the game is already in play:

The majority of rear-facing car seats don’t have a grounded support leg with anchors to the car above and beyond that from the seatbelt, but you’re responding to my post about the rear facing car seats that have grounded support leg and anchors to the car. Those kind of rear facing car seats that maximize child safety on the roads — the ones with grounded support leg and anchors to the car — don’t work in planes and aren’t always even labeled to do so; and these are the subset of rear-facing car seats about which I continue to speak.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Try to stick to the ball in the game rather than introducing a different ball when the game is already in play:

The majority of rear-facing car seats dont have a grounded support leg with anchors to the car above and beyond that from the seatbelt, but youre responding to my post about the rear facing car seats that have grounded support leg and anchors to the car. Those kind of rear facing car seats that maximize child safety on the roads the ones with grounded support leg and anchors to the car dont work in planes and arent always even labeled to do so; and these are the subset of rear-facing car seats about which I continue to speak.
Again it the seat is not authorized by the FAA - all you are doing is putting ridiculous negative comments that don't matter. All car seats used on an airline - whether front or back facing - must be approved by the FAA. Slings, etc are also not. If you are going to post against seats, post using correct data. Don't compare something that the FAA does not allow to something they do
t
Old Feb 6, 2020, 1:39 pm
Suspended

I’m not drawing your comparison. I am taking about why some car seats should be checked in.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
Im not drawing your comparison. I am taking about why some car seats should be checked in.
GU you make no sense. Why even talk about a child seat on an airline that is not approved for usage????
Old Feb 6, 2020, 3:12 pm
Suspended

Because the best car seats being needed at the flight trip destination are sometimes best checked in with the airline since using them on the plane may make no sense.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 9:08 am
Suspended

Because the best car seats being needed at the flight trip destination are sometimes best checked in with the airline since using them on the plane may make no sense.
Please give one example of a major car seat that cannot be used on a plane? To my knowledge there are none. Now we are not talking about those which are too large to fit on the smaller planes with very narrow seats. The Cosco Scenera is a great car seat which fits all planes. Or if you have a huge one and want it at destination - get a CARES for the plane
Old Feb 10, 2020, 11:53 am

I thought child seats with the grounded support leg weren't approved for use in the US in planes OR cars.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 3:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by themicah
I thought child seats with the grounded support leg weren't approved for use in the US in planes OR cars.
Are the load legs on rear-facing car seats currently prohibited in cars in the US? That is news to me, even as it seems very uncommon to find them on sale in the US.

Rear-facing car seats with load legs perform better in ground accidents than rear-facing car seats without them: https://www.consumerreports.org/infa...ty-in-a-crash/
Old Feb 11, 2020, 12:09 pm
Suspended

The Alton Q is approved by FAA (cannot use base) so I would assume the two higher priced ones are too. And they can be used in US>
Old Feb 13, 2020, 4:18 am
Suspended

There are rear-facing car seats -- available for use by bigger U2 children (and older even) -- where the load-leg is built-in to the seat itself. [No base involved.] Assuming that the better rear-facing car seats with built-in load-legs are all FAA-approved (or even equivalently-approved) for use in-flight is a risky assumption.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 1:07 pm
Suspended

If one reads GUWonders posts you will see that while he denies it, most of his posts are negative regarding car seats for kids int airplanes.

First lets look at FAA: The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) strongly urges you to secure your child in a CRS or device for the duration of your flight. It's the smart and right thing to do so that everyone in your family arrives safely at your destination. The FAA is giving you the information you need to make informed decisions about your family's travel plans.

Second any car seat that is FAA approved can be used on a US airplane - one one landing/ leaving the US. Athe american academy of pediatrics recommends at rear facing seat until 2 years of ager - until they reach the top height or weight limit allowed by the manufacture. Despite GUs scare tactics there is no reason to believe / support his claim that they are risky?1 DO NOT LISTEN TO HIM. All of the data while suggesting "for cars" the seats with load-legs are better than those without IN CARS, there is nothing to suggest that they are in airplane.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 7:57 am
Suspended

Facts are facts, and the above misrepresentations about me are another sign of the times with fiction and speculation, peddled as fact, to misrepresent and malign being so widespread. I’ll be my own spokesperson in the face of such twisted representations.

The best car seats for use on the roads are ones with built-in load legs, these being seats that generally can’t be assumed to have been FAA-approved and don’t fit in many airplane seats even if the airline employees were to not block their use in practice at times. So if flying and needing a car seat at your destination and wanting the safest car seats for children for the longest period of time before the child outgrows the seat and/or the seat hits the expiration date, they will have to be checked in as luggage. In such cases, they are best off packed in a box as checked luggage and bringing them on the plane for passenger cabin use is a recipe for problems.

CARES tends to work well on economy class seats far more widely than it does in business/Friday class seats on long-haul planes. FAA-approved car seats work on all US flights but they all do not work in all seats and all cabins on all US flights.

The safest car seats are likely best checked in as boxed luggage, and it’s far more critical for safety to have better car seats for road use than car seats for plane use. Driving kids is way more dangerous for kids than kids traveling on planes. Road safety should be a higher priority given the risks on the road are far higher than the risks when flying common carrier flights.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 17, 2020 at 8:08 am
Old Feb 17, 2020, 12:52 pm
Suspended

Once again our friend posts misleading data:
1) ALL car seats that are certified by the FAA are allowed on an airplane. If it does not fit the seat you are in, by law the FA has to find you a seat that it does. Don't ASSUIME that the car seat will be allowed on a plane. It must have "THIS RESTRAINT IS CERTIFIED FOR USE IN MOTOR VEHICLES AND AIRCRAFT". Note the "base" for many of these seats are not FAA approved and need to be checked. The American FAA does strongly recommended that you use an approved child restraint device when travelling with infants less than 2-years old. The car seats with load legs are European and the legs are in the base. The Cybex Aton Q is the only one that is readily available in the US and is FAA approved WITHOUT THE BASE . A good web site is https://www.wanderluststorytellers.c...ved-car-seats/
2). Again he states that it is safer to drive. That is a false statement. Unless it is a catastrophic crash (roll over, etc) - The have been negligible babies injured if they are properly restrained in a rear facing car seat in the middle of the back seat. All fire departments and police departments have someone that can check your seat for free. Including burns (which the most common injury for lap babies - which often require skin grafting) - a lap child is not safe. But flying with an FAA approved car seat is without question safer than driving, Posters that say otherwise cannot give you any proof of their false fact. Any FA can vouch for car seats (as do their union)
3) CARES work in all airplanes - but are not for cars.
4) Road safety is as important as plane safety!
5) If your child is injured in a plane as a lap child and you go to the emergency room, you will be reported to child safety for investigation of child abuse! Unless it has happened multiple times, no charge will probably be done - but it will be on your record for the next time
Old Feb 17, 2020, 4:42 pm
Suspended

Lots of car seats with load legs don’t have a detachable base, and assuming that those safer car seats are all FAA-approved is a risky assumption.

Road safety-worthiness of a car seat ought to be a higher priority for rational people than flight safety-worthiness of a car seat, since flying is so much safer than driving.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 6:03 pm
Suspended

GU ALL of the ones beiing sold in the US have the legs in the base. And don't misread: I said the Cybex Aton is (it is the one most commonly sold in the US) and to check for a label - don't assume.

Flying is safer than driving for all EXCEPT the lap baby as the data shows

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.