Family of 8 in Business Class

Old Nov 20, 19, 3:27 am
  #16  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ZOA, SFO, HKG
Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 10,441
Originally Posted by kktalker View Post
When you say "offload everyone," are you saying you think the airline would sell us the tickets, then deplane us before takeoff because a flight attendant suddenly doesn't like the ages of our kids? If it's a possibility, I'm glad to know about it ahead of time.
There is always a possible that an overpowered airline employee may question how the children can be handled during emergency. There were incidents that the family was offloaded (regardless right or wrong). So I would have to say it is just a caution.

Originally Posted by Erasmus View Post
Also, ignore the ignorant responses about flying in economy--definitely no reason to do so if you can afford to fly in business. The sheer fact that you're asking these kind of questions suggests you're much more considerate than many who frequent the business class cabins.
This is plainly wrong. It is never about affordability.

Also - being considerate has no bearing on an airline employee on offloading. If the airline determines that the children can't be properly taken care, even they are well-behaved, the airline is within its rights to offload due to safety reasons.

There is a reason why whenever possible, airlines try to pair children sitting with their family members.
garykung is offline  
Old Nov 20, 19, 4:12 am
  #17  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 88,846
A 1 adult to 3 child ratio works out just fine for the OP. The OP has an 11 and 9 year old along who can help too. Thatís way easier than what Iíve seen on a whole bunch of long-haul flights done at that ratio or worse with no older children to help.

Power-tripping, trouble-making airline employees do exist ó just like how some of them pick on families (or otherwise engage in improper behavior of sorts) on a racist basis ó but on planes itís not so commonly encountered in a way to be something to worry about in advance or to consider even probable on a trip you have to make.

Fly ANA and then your chances of being hit by a scare story on LAX-Tokyo over your adult-to-child arrangement are pretty much akin to my chances of being hit by a snowball in the Maldives.
garykung likes this.
GUWonder is online now  
Old Nov 21, 19, 7:38 pm
  #18  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: SAN
Programs: DL MM, AA EXP, AS MVPG, SPG Plat
Posts: 2,572
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
This is plainly wrong. It is never about affordability.

Also - being considerate has no bearing on an airline employee on offloading. If the airline determines that the children can't be properly taken care, even they are well-behaved, the airline is within its rights to offload due to safety reasons.

There is a reason why whenever possible, airlines try to pair children sitting with their family members.
I don't know where to start. Why is it the parents' purported (in)ability to care for their children would depend on class of service? Families travel--even large ones. Each finds their own way, and I'm sure these parents have many years of experience developing a system that works for them and their children.
Erasmus is offline  
Old Nov 21, 19, 10:37 pm
  #19  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ZOA, SFO, HKG
Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 10,441
Originally Posted by Erasmus View Post
Why is it the parents' purported (in)ability to care for their children would depend on class of service?
Tell me this - who would place the oxygen mask on for the children in case of the emergency?
garykung is offline  
Old Nov 21, 19, 10:41 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: SAN
Programs: DL MM, AA EXP, AS MVPG, SPG Plat
Posts: 2,572
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
Tell me this - who would place the oxygen mask on for the children in case of the emergency?
The same person that would in economy.
GUWonder and FindAWay like this.
Erasmus is offline  
Old Nov 21, 19, 11:03 pm
  #21  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ZOA, SFO, HKG
Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 10,441
Originally Posted by Erasmus View Post
The same person that would in economy.
Right. Then this is the problem.

In economy, usually an adult will seat with the children. So during an emergency, the adult can take care of him/herself and then the children near by.

But in business, seats are not as close as in economy. So during the emergency, it will take more time to help the children to put on the mask. Don't forget - walking among seats would not an option during emergency.

Even this kind of emergency happens rarely, as soon as the crews see this as a problem, the crews will exercise the refusal to transport.

While this is not the perfect incident, this is a past incident that how an overpowered airline employee can do, right or wrong:

https://abc7chicago.com/archive/8475600/
garykung is offline  
Old Nov 21, 19, 11:09 pm
  #22  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: SAN
Programs: DL MM, AA EXP, AS MVPG, SPG Plat
Posts: 2,572
Four kids under three (in the article you link) is a different world than OPís. In particular, the issue there was lap kids and the resulting insufficient number of oxygen masks. Iíve travelled the world with my young kids in premium cabin suites and never have been questioned about being unable to reach themólet alone see them in some cases.
GUWonder and FindAWay like this.

Last edited by Erasmus; Nov 21, 19 at 11:20 pm
Erasmus is offline  
Old Nov 22, 19, 3:44 am
  #23  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: ZRH
Programs: LX, SK *G, FPC, GA/AG
Posts: 1,619
An important factor to consider is that in some configurations it is not possible to walk from one side of the aisle to the other through the seats. This is the case with the new delta one suites as well as the Reverse Herringbone seats or the new United Polaris seats. So if you're seats in one row you'd have to walk all the way through the galley to get to the kids sitting on the other side.

I think the optimal configuration would therefore be a Thompson Vantage one or maybe the old 2-2-2 configuration of United.


I normally have reservation about kids being in Business Class: I have no problem when they are well behaved but I've had several bad experiences, which came mainly to the parents essentially not doing their job & not caring.
You however seem to be considerat and reasonable so that I'm certain this is not the case here, since if it was you wouldn't have your kids flying Business.
The bad reputation comes exactly from parents that do not care about others on the flight and they're attitude of "Here's my kid, deal with it", and understandably that really makes other passengers mad, which is why there is such to general dislike for kids flying in premium cabins.
It just isn't fair of these parent that knows exactly that their kid is ill behaved or will cry and disturb everybody else and still decides to have it fly for whatever reason, not only in Business but even in Economy. In my opinion to all other passengers this is just not fair and especially to other families that travel with well behaved kids (like you I suppose, which is a majority, since one usually just doesn't notice the well behaved ones).
So if you really feel you can control your kids, they are well behaved and you are certain you are not deteriorating the experience of the other people flying with you, go for it and ignore all the other people telling you not to because they have had bad experiences with others.
Have a good flight!
Nick Art is offline  
Old Nov 22, 19, 2:14 pm
  #24  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 88,846
The ANA 777 business class cabins I've seen have seats such that can you go across the seats in a row to get from one aisle to the other in most rows.
GUWonder is online now  
Old Nov 24, 19, 10:47 am
  #25  
Aman Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: OSL
Posts: 2,081
Even if you will find an airline with an aircraft with the "right" seating confirguration, please bear in mind that it might be difficult to find the exacts seats available at point of booking (and even harder later). Also there is a risk that the airline change the aircraft configuration closer to travel.
Musken is offline  
Old Nov 25, 19, 7:52 am
  #26  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,688
I'd fly from the most convenient airport i(closest to home or easiest connection) at the best time possible, on a direct flight to HND (if available). SQ from LAX is worth a look.
erik123 is offline  
Old Nov 25, 19, 8:12 am
  #27  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Melbourne MEL Calgary YYC
Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Posts: 440
When my 3 boys were young, all were born in a 4 year span, we tried the business class on HM Air back a lot of years ago, then we tried getting 7 seats in economy we took a 3-4 in a 3-4-3 row

honestly the 7 seats worked out better than the 5 business seats , and we could be zone defence on the ends

we had the means to travel business but economy worked better , 7 seats to Australia from LAX
Jimmie Jet is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread