Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Buying separate seat for baby after reservations made

Old Jul 5, 19, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)

hi everyone:

My husbandís family booked seats for a family vacation. We are flying from the west coast to Hawaii on delta. There are six adults and we have six seats across with two lap infants (1 per each group of 3 seats).

We want to purchase a seat for our LO (who will be 18 months for the flight) so she can sit in the car seat (cosco scenera) or the cares harness.

What is the easiest way to do this? I assume that I need to buy a ticket in her name and then get Delta to swap her seat with my husbandís or my seat so that she is sitting next to one of us and the other is a few rows up (all that is left at this point). Can I just book a separate seat for her online? Does she need to be ticketed in a window seat if we use the car seat,
or can we install the car seat in the middle seat?

my in law is sitting in the window of the row, and I donít want to create issues with changing the seating around. We are traveling with family who has a bigger, older child who always travels as a lap infant so we donít want to create issues or draw attention to this to the extent possible.

Last edited by floridagal23; Jul 5, 19 at 10:27 am
Old Jul 7, 19, 12:32 pm

Programs: .97MM AA - so close
For starters you can only have 1 lap infant per row (on a 737 sized airplane). This has to do with oxygen mask availability.

They are not going to care who is sitting in what seat on the plane in your own group. So you will not have to switch seats on the reservations. Technically you can install a car seat in the middle seat as long as it does not block egress of the window passenger but on the plane that might be an FA call.

You will want to link the reservations so that if a rebooking happens they "should" keep the reservations together.

I am sorry to say it may end up causing drama either way. Someone is going to have to be re-seated if you have 2 lap infants all in a row. The FA might make the call the car seat has to be in a window seat.

Last edited by firespirit; Jul 7, 19 at 12:38 pm Reason: Correction on oxygen masks.
Old Jul 7, 19, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by floridagal23 View Post
hi everyone:

My husbandís family booked seats for a family vacation. We are flying from the west coast to Hawaii on delta. There are six adults and we have six seats across with two lap infants (1 per each group of 3 seats).

We want to purchase a seat for our LO (who will be 18 months for the flight) so she can sit in the car seat (cosco scenera) or the cares harness.

What is the easiest way to do this? I assume that I need to buy a ticket in her name and then get Delta to swap her seat with my husbandís or my seat so that she is sitting next to one of us and the other is a few rows up (all that is left at this point). Can I just book a separate seat for her online? Does she need to be ticketed in a window seat if we use the car seat,
or can we install the car seat in the middle seat?

my in law is sitting in the window of the row, and I donít want to create issues with changing the seating around. We are traveling with family who has a bigger, older child who always travels as a lap infant so we donít want to create issues or draw attention to this to the extent possible.
Any chance you can find an available window & middle seat together? Buy one, and swap one parent from row where in-law has window into the other, so car seated infant and 1 parent are together in another row? This likely would have to be done over the phone for at least the swap. That way you don't have to ask in-law to give up a window because odds are good the FA will insist the car seat be in the window seat. Clearly in-law finds lap infants acceptable, so involving them in the process will likely cause offensive to some degree, but your right to keep your child safe in the manner you consider appropriate outweighs ruffled feathers.
Old Jul 12, 19, 6:44 am

Programs: Ritz platinum, Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
smart move. The paris paper just reported a lap infant injured when a jet hit turbulence (FA and other passengers also injured). Call Delta and have them help you

Search this Thread