Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Going through security with following items needed for kids

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry

HI

Traveling this weekend from JFK with first time with kids - 3 1/2 and 1 1/2 years old. (Ageda-city)

Question - we have some items we want to make sure we can bring through security with no issues:

- EpiPen (in case of allergic reaction)
- Kids liquid Benedryl
- Diaper bag - can this be exempt as a 2nd carryon with no issues? My wife will have another carryon

Thanks!
Old Jun 18, 2019, 2:51 am
yno

Programs: FB, Accor, Marriot
Originally Posted by elg26
HI

Traveling this weekend from JFK with first time with kids - 3 1/2 and 1 1/2 years old. (Ageda-city)

Question - we have some items we want to make sure we can bring through security with no issues:

- EpiPen (in case of allergic reaction)
- Kids liquid Benedryl
- Diaper bag - can this be exempt as a 2nd carryon with no issues? My wife will have another carryon

Thanks!
for the medication, not sure.
However for the diaper bag, it's better to check the airline: they each have their own rule. So while security will definitely let you pass, it's not sure you can have the other carryon. Having flown a lot with our kids, generally a kid is also allowed a carryon on board.
elg26 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:46 am

Epipens are explicitly allowed. You might want to mention it to a TSO before sending the bag through the x-ray.

If the Benadryl is 3.4 fl oz or less it can go through like any other liquid that's 3.4oz or less. If it's over 3.4oz, you'll need to tell a TSO about it and you might want to bring a doctor's note saying that it's medically necessary.

TSA won't care how many carryons you have. That's purely an airline question. I think most airlines treat a diaper bag the same as any other bag of a similar size.
elg26 and levilevi like this.

Last edited by themicah; Jun 18, 2019 at 10:55 am
Old Jun 18, 2019, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by themicah
Epipens are explicitly allowed. You might want to mention it to a TSO before sending the bag through the x-ray.

If the Benadryl is 3.4 fl oz or less it can go through like any other liquid that's 3.4oz or less. If it's over 3.4oz, you'll need to tell a TSO about it and you might want to bring a doctor's note saying that it's medically necessary.

TSA won't care how many carryons you have. That's purely an airline question. I think most airlines treat a diaper bag the same as any other bag of a similar size.
Thank you! Very helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.