Extra child in hotel

Old Jun 16, 19, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
Extra child in hotel

Family of 5 and we always, always book two hotel rooms (or do big enough Airbnb) for our trips. Sometimes, though, we find ourselves in a situation where this is either impossible or highly undesirable. For example, we've had hotels that maxed out at 2 people per room, which meant either one parent or one child would get stuck in their own room. Or they only had 2 rooms left with 2 max. Or we were staying just one night at an expensive property with 2 queens but 4 max. Our "kids" are now 10, 16, 19. The 19 is an adult, obviously, and the 16 often counts as an adult. And of course the 10 is too big to squish in with us in "existing bedding".

So what do you all do in a pinch when you've got a <12/qualifying child but a room that maxes out at 2?

We are currently looking at an Appartcity property in France on a high occupancy date (festival) for this city (few rooms or airbnbs left) for 1 night stay. The 1-bedroom + sofabed apartment maxes out at 4 adults. They do not have rollaways, but we will have an air mattress with us for 10 year old (need it for a stay with family). I've tried contacting the hotel but they have not responded to email. I can call but have not been able to yet between time difference and work.

Just curious how you all deal with this issue of the extra kid.
Old Jul 8, 19, 6:46 am

In my experience European hotels are much less flexible with room occupancy maximums. Every time I've been told it's a legal requirement (fire codes) and they are not flexible.

An infant is one thing, but even a 10 year old would be considered unacceptable if it exceeds the listed maximum occupancy.

You could always just sneak him in, but I would be concerned about getting caught and prefer to not be on my guard during vacation

I would keep trying to contact the hotel rather than take the risk.
Old Jul 8, 19, 7:38 am

Programs: UA
Parisian hotels tend to be very strict with this and it is because of fire codes. And I have seen altercations at check in with this issue with travelers getting irate as they were refused the room.
Old Jul 12, 19, 6:42 am

Have one of the kids not check in with you and wife. (oldest). Then an hour later, either you or wife go down "for walk" and come back with him. It will usually work. Downside is being kicked out. Other alternative, there are multiple student/youth hostils in Paris by the Sorbonne esp. If 19 yo has international student id, let him (or the 19 and 16 yo both ( stay there). That is probably the best option and they would have fun
https://www.thestudenthotel.com/paris/
https://www.tripadvisor.com/HotelsLi...p10850759.html
https://www.hostelworld.com/hostels/...kMLw&gclsrc=ds
altabello likes this.
Old Jul 12, 19, 7:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
In Europe and most especially in Paris and certain German cities as well, the properties are inflexible and know all the ticks Americans pull.

This is an issue to be dealt with in advance. Being booted out or offered an extra room at the exorbitant rack rate in the middle of high season is sub-optimal experience and a poor lesson for the kids.
Old Jul 12, 19, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by knownothing View Post
Downside is being kicked out.
As the previous poster mentioned, thatís a pretty massive downside! I remember when my wife and three young kids had an Airbnb reservation go belly up in the middle of July in Florence and it was one of the most stressful things Iíve ever dealt with.

Donít take chances with your vacation, the time is too precious.
levilevi likes this.
Old Jul 12, 19, 11:56 am

I agree. But poster said no more available rooms. In which case I would try what I suggested. It has been several years, but I was successful in sneaking in the extra child - especially in large (eg Hilton or Marriott) hotels. Hard to do in small hotels where there is one door by front desk. Again the hostels are a great choice. Been years, but my kids loved it and met kids from different lands and did not want to hang out with us
Old Jul 12, 19, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
Thanks, everyone. Weíve traveled extensively in Europe and elsewhere and always respect the occupancy limits at properties. This is a special circumstance owing to a variety of factors not worth going into. The hostel idea is good, and Iíll use that strategy in the future!
Old Jul 12, 19, 4:08 pm

Call the hotel. Don;t use email. There are often exceptions not listed in the reservation systems and/or website.
GUWonder likes this.