Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

United Airlines insisted I change my baby on toilet seat or bathroom floor!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Airlines insisted I change my baby on toilet seat or bathroom floor!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2011, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy United Airlines insisted I change my baby on toilet seat or bathroom floor!

July 5 traveling from Dulles to LAX with my husband and 19 month old daughter on a full flight my family suffered a horrible experience.
Midway through the flight my daughter required a diaper change, at which point we took our baby to the restroom only to discover there was no changing table. Directly outside of the restroom was a flat padded bench that was not in use, which made sense as the logical place to do a quick change. As I was preparing the area, a stewardess came flying around the corner saying that I was not allowed to use the bench that it was against FAA policy, I looked at her confused and asked where to change my baby. The response I got was something no parent or caretaker should receive, she told me my two options were the top of a toilet seat (which at this time was clogged with feces) or the bathroom floor! I was appalled/hurt to say the least and refused to do either. Her compromise to me was giving me a trashbag to lay on the floor outside of the bathroom.
I am posting this in hopes for a change. It breaks my heart to think of the bacteria and worse our precious babies could be exposed to.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 2:08 pm

I see plenty of mothers who change babies diapers right on the seat.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Can yoiu tell me more specifically? What is happening your daughter who did not have diaper change during in-flight. I wasn't sure why they change the policy? You didn't put her in the diaper table. Can you wait for landed in LAX go to family restroom to change her diapers.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by JessKasha
July 5 traveling from Dulles to LAX with my husband and 19 month old daughter on a full flight my family suffered a horrible experience.
Midway through the flight my daughter required a diaper change, at which point we took our baby to the restroom only to discover there was no changing table. Directly outside of the restroom was a flat padded bench that was not in use, which made sense as the logical place to do a quick change. As I was preparing the area, a stewardess came flying around the corner saying that I was not allowed to use the bench that it was against FAA policy, I looked at her confused and asked where to change my baby. The response I got was something no parent or caretaker should receive, she told me my two options were the top of a toilet seat (which at this time was clogged with feces) or the bathroom floor! I was appalled/hurt to say the least and refused to do either. Her compromise to me was giving me a trashbag to lay on the floor outside of the bathroom.
I am posting this in hopes for a change. It breaks my heart to think of the bacteria and worse our precious babies could be exposed to.
As opposed to the bacteria adults could have been exposed to from a dirty diaper on the padded bench ? How much more appaling/hurtful was it to change the diaper on the floor next to the padded bench? I'll bet money your child came thru the ordeal with flying colors and a set of wings from the flight attendant.
Sorry, I don't mean to sound cold or uncaring, but I've changed a couple million diapers on my two sons and as I recall neither of them really gave a hoot where it happened. I'm not seeing what the issue is here.
Redhead likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 2:21 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, United
Originally Posted by N830MH
Can yoiu tell me more specifically? What is happening your daughter who did not have diaper change during in-flight. I wasn't sure why they change the policy? You didn't put her in the diaper table. Can you wait for landed in LAX go to family restroom to change her diapers.
It was a flight from the D.C. area to Los Angeles. I'm sure at some point, a 19 month old is going to need a diaper change. Sitting in a dirty diaper 3-5 hours doesn't do many people much good. Further, the OP stated the bathroom didn't have a changing table for her to use.

All I can say to the OP is at least they gave you a trash bag and I hope you write UAL directly as to installing changing tables in the lavs.
Ealasaid likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
What ever did people do without changing tables?

Having changed a diaper or two myself, I'd be more horrified to offend other pax with my baby's stinky diaper than using the toilet seat. That's what antibacterial wipes are for. Also, there's more than one lav. Find the one that's not full of feces.

Sorry, OP, but I think you'll find limited sympathy here.
Redhead likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The FAs were completely correct. It is selfish, gross, unsanitary and even dangerous (to passengers with compromised immune systems and other health issues) to change a baby on the "bench." If you can't manage a change in the lav (and if you can't check ahead to ensure that there is an acceptable place to change your baby), then don't fly. I can't imagine why you would think a public changing on a seat used by the flight attendants (which is what the "padded bench" is) is remotely acceptable.

Oh, and welcome to FlyerTalk.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 2:36 pm

Um, why wouldn't you have a changing pad to use with you in the diaper bag in the first place?
Redhead likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 2:47 pm

Programs: CO Platinum
It breaks my heart to think of the bacteria and worse our precious babies could be exposed to.
All airplanes and airports are teeming with all sorts of bacteria, vermin, and of course TSA (at the airports). We don't need any our your precious baby's feces to add to the mix.

While I agree that UA should have at least one lav with changing tables (isn't it usualy the front lav), that doesn't mean you should contaminate the FA's seat, other pax's seats or even the tray table--some people use that for eating.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 2:50 pm
Suspended

Her compromise to me was giving me a trashbag to lay on the floor outside of the bathroom.
I'm confused.

You don't carry a changing pad in the diaper bag? You simply expect that wherever you go, there will always be a convenient and clean surface on which you can change your baby that won't expose other people to stinky diapers or bacteria?

(I've got a three-month-old. The diaper bag has a padded changing surface packed in it, with a stack of disposable covers to be used.)
Old Jul 7, 2011, 2:59 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Can yoiu tell me more specifically?
What more do you need to know?
You didn't put her in the diaper table.
The OP said there wasn't one.
Can you wait for landed in LAX go to family restroom to change her diapers.
That's 2-3 hours of sitting in a dirty diaper. Yes, it happens, but most parents would want to change that diaper right away. Would you want to sit in a dirty diaper for that length of time?
Old Jul 7, 2011, 3:08 pm

Even if the lavatory had a changing table, the OP should still have used a diaper pad, or clean trash bag, because those tables are nasty.
Redhead likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 3:25 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Barring any unknown disability, a 19 month old can usually stand. For my boys, we learned to change them standing up.
Redhead likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

I'm sorry that I did not make it clear in my OP that I DO carry around a clean cushy blanket to use for public changes. She is a toddler and would not fit on a toilet seat, nor will I put her on on my seat on a packed flight. I WAS prepared for a quick, clean change. If you think by quickly changing my young child on a bench on her blankie over a filthy toilet or urine soaked floor, or the seat of my packed flight is wrong, then I have to question your judgement. I was put on this flight by American and will not fly United again!
Old Jul 7, 2011, 3:35 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
yada yada yada
You have to understand, one of the cardinal rules of folks are here is to "be prepared". And newbies whose first post is a complaint often don't get the benefit of the doubt. So welcome to FT!
I was put on this flight by American and will not fly United again!
I bet you will.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.