Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Gate check stroller on Qatar Airways

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Hi,

I'm wondering if any of the posters here have experiences flying with Qatar and what happen with the gate-checked strollers. According to Qatar FAQ page, they offers strollers in DOHA during a layover there, and:

Delivery of your personal stroller at the aircraft’s door once you disembark is no longer available at Doha International Airport.

So my question is, will the stroller that I'm planning to gate-checked be available at the gate in the next airport? Or will it come out with the rest of the luggages after going through immigration?

Here's the route:
CMH - ORD - DOH - CGK

I'm planning to gate checked the stroller in CMH & ORD. From the FAQ, sounds like I can't get the stroller back in DOH. In CGK, will I get the stroller back on the jet bridge?

The same thing with the return trip. After I gate check the stroller in CGK & don't use it in Doha, will I be able to get the stroller in ORD when I get off the plane?

Thanks in advance.
PS: I'm not sure if I should post this here or on Qatar forum.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 5:28 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, Le Club Accor Gold
Its been a long time since we've flown with Qatar (2008) but flew LHR-HKG via Doha and in both directions didn't get the stroller back until reaching our final destination, both times it came out with the luggage

Can't help you with ORD though, although when we flew from HNL-LAX-LHR we got the stroller back at LAX so could be the same at any US point but don't quote me on that!
Old Jun 16, 2014, 5:36 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
On the return trip to the US, the OP will get the stroller back at ORD, but it won't be at the gate. It will be available at the ORD international baggage claim belt for the flight. This is due to the US requirement to clear passport control/customs at the first port of entry into the US or at a US CBP PreClearance facility.

It's situations like this that an on-body baby/toddler carrier can make sense as a supplement to a stroller or perhaps even as a stroller replacement --especially if the immigration, customs and security screening lines are slow.

It seemed to me that CGK's airlines are way more insistent to check in strollers at the check-in counter on departure from CGK; and on arrival in CGK, the strollers generally also come in the baggage claim area.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply fredandgingermad & GUWonder.

Oh no that doesn't sound good. My son at almost 3 is getting a little heavy for me to carry in his carrier.

How about flying with ANA with a layover in NRT? I read a thread here (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ita-tokyo.html) where people have no issue with gate-checking a stroller in NRT & receiving the stroller at the jet bridge in NRT. So sounds like should be no issue of getting the stroller there and gate checking it on the next flight.

Will going through NRT make a difference in where I will receive the stroller in CGK & ORD?
Old Jun 17, 2014, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by alexmom
Thanks for the reply fredandgingermad & GUWonder.

Oh no that doesn't sound good. My son at almost 3 is getting a little heavy for me to carry in his carrier.

How about flying with ANA with a layover in NRT? I read a thread here (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ita-tokyo.html) where people have no issue with gate-checking a stroller in NRT & receiving the stroller at the jet bridge in NRT. So sounds like should be no issue of getting the stroller there and gate checking it on the next flight.

Will going through NRT make a difference in where I will receive the stroller in CGK & ORD?
NRT and NH have been pretty good about strollers. Much better than DOH and QR -- as you'd have much better odds of having it on the transit via NRT. Can't speak to NH gate deliveries at CGK, but I wouldn't count on it at CGK.

My general recommendation is to stick to US carriers as much as possible for as much of the trip for those trips where the stroller is considered the most important factor in making life east during the transit and at the destination.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 17, 2014 at 1:14 pm
Old Jun 18, 2014, 4:53 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
I've flown LHR-HKT with a stroller on QR, the stroller was checked through and turned up at the other end on the luggage belt - the reason being that the transit at DOH was unsuitable for collection / drop off at aircraft door (i.e. 100% of the time stairwell to bus to transit terminal & vice versa).

However - buggies to borrow were easily found in DOH transit terminal, and could be picked up pretty quickly once you left the bus.

But, there is the new airport in Doha now - I would hope this would change (despite onboard experience being generally great, I wouldn't transit with young kids through the old terminal) - is the information you got reflect the old terminal? You'd have about 7 hours in Doha as well wouldn't you?

Would Cathay be an option for you? They have a couple of flights from ORD, and i've found great with kids. NH no experience (but would like to have ).

Of course UA's flight to SIN arrives silly o'clock 00:20, so no connections to CGK.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Also, can you get a Quinny Zapp where you are? Folds in half, into a bag, and into the overhead luggage compartment. Never had an issue with MH / SQ, can use to the door, and fold it up then.

Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
But, there is the new airport in Doha now - I would hope this would change (despite onboard experience being generally great, I wouldn't transit with young kids through the old terminal) - is the information you got reflect the old terminal? You'd have about 7 hours in Doha as well wouldn't you?
I'm not sure if that information reflect the new/old terminal. I found it here: http://support.qatarairways.com/entr...ional-Airport-

There's actually a CMH-PHL-DOH-CGK which have about 3 hour connection in DOH. If I do decide to go with Qatar, that's probably the one I'll choose, instead of the 7 hours connection.

Sounds like the new airport is a vast improvement from the old one.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Also, can you get a Quinny Zapp where you are? Folds in half, into a bag, and into the overhead luggage compartment. Never had an issue with MH / SQ, can use to the door, and fold it up then.
That's a pretty cool stroller, but I can't justify buying a pricy stroller for traveling. I am actually looking for a cheaper lighter stroller now in the $40-60 range. I don't really want to bring my Britax stroller.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 5:05 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, Le Club Accor Gold
The new airport is Hamad International Airport, QR is now flying there, I have to say i liked the old airport (not that i can compare to the new one) we had a 7 hour layover in 2008 and found the play facilities for children really good But the new airport on the otherhand looks much bigger and probably has far more facilities (something we found Doha International Airport lacking slightly) still wouldn't count on getting the stroller back in transit however
Old Jun 19, 2014, 6:09 am
Suspended

That's a pretty cool stroller, but I can't justify buying a pricy stroller for traveling. I am actually looking for a cheaper lighter stroller now in the $40-60 range. I don't really want to bring my Britax stroller.
http://www.toysrus.com/buy/lightweig...y11100-4266854 work? Easier to collapse but won't fit in an overhead bin. In most cases, airlines don't want strollers that could fit into the overhead bins to be put up there anyway -- it blocks up the overhead for other passengers and can be sort of unwieldy when carried in aisles or when putting it away or pulling it down. I've seen this kind of stroller at many dozens of airports being taken to the gate.

Even assuming the new DOH to be much nicer -- and I would assume it to be, given what the Emir loves -- don't count on gate-delivery of strollers there. That said, QR apparently bought a bunch of strollers for use at the new airport -- that could help.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 19, 2014 at 6:14 am
Old Jun 19, 2014, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Yes, actually I'm thinking that one or the First Year Jet stroller (3 lbs lighter).
Old Jun 19, 2014, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Yes, actually I'm thinking that one or the First Year Jet stroller (3 lbs lighter).
The one I linked is a stroller I've seen one couple use for over 200 flights and lots of other transport -- and their primary stroller for local use is somewhere in the $800-1200/range and wouldn't be allowed to be gate checked -- it probably wouldn't hold up as well even if it were allowed to go to the gate.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
If your son is almost three, will you need an actual stroller? When our son was about 2.5 years old, we moved to using a folding luggage cart that we strapped his car seat to in place of a stroller. He's a pretty good walker, but for long or fast transits, it is helpful to have somewhere for him to sit down and be pulled. I realize a lot depends on what you'll be doing on arrival, but if you mainly are taking your stroller for the journey itself, that might be an option (I think the luggage cart we bought was maybe $25 and it will fit inside a carry on).
Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: Miles and More, BAEC
Has anybody taken the quinny zapp as hand baggage into the cabin when flying with Qatar Airways? We will fly business and we also have the bag for the quinny so that we could put it in the bag before putting it to the overhead bins

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.