Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Stroller/Carrier for a 3 year old on KLM Cityhopper to AMS

Old Jun 4, 19, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue, BAEC

Hi, hope this is the correct place for this.

We're a family of four, dad, mum, a 9 year old and a 3 year old. The 9 year old has flown with me a few times, he's a seasoned pro. We haven't taken the three year old on a flight yet, but are keen to get out more, so we've booked a flight from Humberside to Schiphol at the end of the month to see if she can cope with the 45-minute hop before booking anything longer.

We're going to go from Schiphol to Leiden by train to overnight, then return the next day AMS-HUY.

The three year old girl is just beginning to not need a nap in the afternoon, but she needs a lot of carrying or to be put in a stroller if we're spending time on our feet.

Now, I reckon that getting around would be easier if I put her in the backpack we have for her, rather than having to lug a stroller round. As we're only going to be travelling very light HBO we can share a single rollaboard between the four of us.

KLM have told me that I can use a stroller up to the gate and then take it on board if there is space or gate check it if not, at no extra charge, but am I likely to be able to do the same with a backpack carrier? It's shorter and lighter than the stroller, and would probably take up less space?

Of course, I could tweet KLM to ask...?
Old Jun 5, 19, 3:09 am
yno

Programs: FB, M&M, Marriot, IHG, Club Carlson
Always used a stroller :-) So no idea about the backpack. The backpack is quite big, and generally has a rigid configuration. So it would be difficult to fit it in the overhead. Best is indeed to try their twitter, and don't hesitate to post their answer here ;-)
Old Jun 6, 19, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yno View Post
Best is indeed to try their twitter, and don't hesitate to post their answer here ;-)
Apparently it needs to fit in the hand baggage allowance
Which is rather awkward. The stroller is this one, which is significantly larger in all dimensions except one. As my daughter is now slightly more than 15kg it's also not the best idea to wheel her around too much in it.

Let's say I give it a go and I end up having to check it? What is that likely to cost me?

I might try to assess whether I need it at all. It's schlepping about Schiphol that's my main concern, as well as getting from Leiden station to the hotel.
Old Jun 6, 19, 2:02 pm

Programs: Air: UA *S, WN CP | Hotels - Gold: Choice, CC, & HH; Hotels - Amb: Marriott
I've used this backpack, which is small enough to fit under the seat in front if the kid​​​​.

https://www.theclymb.com/Product.aspx?l=00140015004600730000&p=KLY01511&sc= 00140015004600730160

Though, the weight weigmay be an issue for your needs.
Old Jun 7, 19, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by DeeGee26.2 View Post
Let's say I give it a go and I end up having to check it? What is that likely to cost me?
In terms of knowing the potential cost of gate checking a carrier, it’s probably worth an email to KLM. When scenarios are a little ambiguous, it’s always a good idea, if possible, to have a copy of the airline’s response/policy to hand (on your phone or printed out). We’ve never flown with KLM, but we have found with other airlines that not all cabin crew staff always know the airline’s policy.

As my daughter is now slightly more than 15kg it's also not the best idea to wheel her around too much in it.
You’ll obviously know what works best for your situation generally, but given she needs to rest regardless, we would find pushing 15kg in a stroller easier than carrying 15kg. We understand that a stroller can be a little more cumbersome to travel with, but in our experience the key to traveling with a stroller was to use it as much as possible.

I might try to assess whether I need it at all. It's schlepping about Schiphol that's my main concern, as well as getting from Leiden station to the hotel.
We traveled with our daughter in a stroller until she was 11 years old, and it made getting about much easier, especially at airports. We were lucky that she generally traveled well (some kids will of course not want to sit in their stroller), but we found the stroller helped all of us for a number of reasons.

First, it meant our daughter was safe. We would use the stroller as soon as we arrived at the airport. The only times she wasn’t in it was going through security and boarding the plane. If we had to discuss something with airline staff, figure out directions, or get stuff from our bags, we could focus on that knowing she was safely buckled in and comfortable. This is arguably true of a carrier, but with a stroller we had no concerns about the constant weight on our backs.

Second, we found our daughter was much happier having a consistent place to herself. When she was younger she’d have a favorite toy with her, and by 8 or 9 she would chat, help direct us through the airport, or just read a book. A carrier could provide this sort of space, but perhaps not quite as well as a stroller.

Third, the stroller acted as an extra seat. If we were at the gate and it was really busy, we only had to look for two seats, and she just stayed in her stroller. If you’re on a train this could also be an advantage, though that would of course depend on the space inside the train.

Lastly, the basket underneath the stroller seat was ideal for carrying smaller bags or similar sized things. If you’re traveling very light, you may not need this space, but if you have jackets or shopping bags, etc., the basket could be a good way to carry them.

Obviously every kid is different, and the carrier may be better for you, but using the stroller made things much easier for us - when we used it a lot it became part of easier traveling, rather than a hassle/issue of traveling (if that makes sense).
Old Jun 20, 19, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sportsguy1 View Post
In terms of knowing the potential cost of gate checking a carrier, it’s probably worth an email to KLM. When scenarios are a little ambiguous, it’s always a good idea, if possible, to have a copy of the airline’s response/policy to hand (on your phone or printed out). We’ve never flown with KLM, but we have found with other airlines that not all cabin crew staff always know the airline’s policy.

You’ll obviously know what works best for your situation generally, but given she needs to rest regardless, we would find pushing 15kg in a stroller easier than carrying 15kg. We understand that a stroller can be a little more cumbersome to travel with, but in our experience the key to traveling with a stroller was to use it as much as possible.

We traveled with our daughter in a stroller until she was 11 years old, and it made getting about much easier, especially at airports. We were lucky that she generally traveled well (some kids will of course not want to sit in their stroller), but we found the stroller helped all of us for a number of reasons.

First, it meant our daughter was safe. We would use the stroller as soon as we arrived at the airport. The only times she wasn’t in it was going through security and boarding the plane. If we had to discuss something with airline staff, figure out directions, or get stuff from our bags, we could focus on that knowing she was safely buckled in and comfortable. This is arguably true of a carrier, but with a stroller we had no concerns about the constant weight on our backs.

Second, we found our daughter was much happier having a consistent place to herself. When she was younger she’d have a favorite toy with her, and by 8 or 9 she would chat, help direct us through the airport, or just read a book. A carrier could provide this sort of space, but perhaps not quite as well as a stroller.

Third, the stroller acted as an extra seat. If we were at the gate and it was really busy, we only had to look for two seats, and she just stayed in her stroller. If you’re on a train this could also be an advantage, though that would of course depend on the space inside the train.

Lastly, the basket underneath the stroller seat was ideal for carrying smaller bags or similar sized things. If you’re traveling very light, you may not need this space, but if you have jackets or shopping bags, etc., the basket could be a good way to carry them.

Obviously every kid is different, and the carrier may be better for you, but using the stroller made things much easier for us - when we used it a lot it became part of easier traveling, rather than a hassle/issue of traveling (if that makes sense).
Thank you friend, for such helpful advice. Sorry it's taken so long to reply. It's certainly food for thought while I make the decision next week.

As a solo traveller, who almost always travels HBO, I've always opted for a rucksack over a roller case if I'm taking public transport before/after a flight, so I was considering the portability of the luggage, but it's not a question of luggage, rather a question of where to put my little girl. You've given me food for thought. If I use the stroller, I've got my back free for the rest of the family luggage! Which is an important consideration. And as the little one is still napping during the afternoon, maybe a stroller will be better? I'll go away and have a think...
Old Jun 21, 19, 12:24 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat - 2MM miles
And as the little one is still napping during the afternoon, maybe a stroller will be better? I'll go away and have a think...
The stroller has been a lifesaver for me when travelling with my daughter. We actually even used it in NYC in March (her 6th bday trip). Let me walk more than she would have been able to handle.

When she was younger, naps in the stroller were also very welcome
Old Jun 23, 19, 7:15 pm

You’re welcome; we’re glad to help and no apologies necessary.

You’ll obviously know best what is likely to work for your situation, but having the stroller would, as you say, certainly free up your back if you prefer/want to try carrying your luggage in a backpack.

Obviously every situation is different, but we found – like Redhead – having a stroller invaluable. In the eleven and a half years we traveled with one for our daughter, it definitely allowed us to do much more than we would have done without it.

We hope you have a great trip whatever you decide and don’t hesitate to ask any other questions; we’ll do our best to help.

Search this Thread