FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel with Children (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-children-221/)
-   -   How do I connect TWO car seat travel carts? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-children/1971634-how-do-i-connect-two-car-seat-travel-carts.html)

stormpelt May 28, 2019 10:41 am

How do I connect TWO car seat travel carts?

I will be traveling with my 2 kids, 2.5 years old and 1.5 years old, long-haul, by myself. My kids are developmentally delayed (my 1.5 year old doesn't walk). They are both really tall, (2.5 year old is 39 inches, and 1.5 year old is 35 inches), so they both have the graco extend2fit car seats. My travel time will be like 24 hours long, including an 11 hour international flight. I need to connect two car seat carts. I looked at stroller connectors, but they're too short. How should I go about this? I also have a double stroller, but I need to be able to wheel both car seats, and both of my developmentally delayed kids on board the plane (remember, my 1.5 year old doesn't walk). The stroller gets taken at the gate, so that's when the car seat travel carts come in, but I need to somehow connect them, as I will also have carry on to bring (diapers, baby food to last 3 days, because after the 24 hour travel time, there will also be a 30 hour stopover, then another 2 hour flight bought separately, before I get to my final destination). This is going to be hell, isn't it?

njxbean May 28, 2019 11:01 am

Originally Posted by stormpelt (Post 31146157)
I will be traveling with my 2 kids, 2.5 years old and 1.5 years old, long-haul, by myself. My kids are developmentally delayed (my 1.5 year old doesn't walk). They are both really tall, (2.5 year old is 39 inches, and 1.5 year old is 35 inches), so they both have the graco extend2fit car seats. My travel time will be like 24 hours long, including an 11 hour international flight. I need to connect two car seat carts. I looked at stroller connectors, but they're too short. How should I go about this? I also have a double stroller, but I need to be able to wheel both car seats, and both of my developmentally delayed kids on board the plane (remember, my 1.5 year old doesn't walk). The stroller gets taken at the gate, so that's when the car seat travel carts come in, but I need to somehow connect them, as I will also have carry on to bring (diapers, baby food to last 3 days, because after the 24 hour travel time, there will also be a 30 hour stopover, then another 2 hour flight bought separately, before I get to my final destination). This is going to be hell, isn't it?

Yes this is going to be challenging to say the least. i dont know how to connect these. but i wish you all the best.

themicah May 28, 2019 4:24 pm

I think all airlines offer wheelchair assistance. If it were an adult family member who couldn't walk, the airline would typically provide personnel and equipment to help get them to/from the gate and (if necessary) on/off the plane (they have special wheelchairs that fit down the aisle for that).

I'm not sure exactly how wheelchair assistance would work with a 1.5yo instead of an adult, but assuming the 2.5yo can get him/herself down the aisle of the plane and the 1.5yo can handle being strapped into an unfamiliar wheelchair pushed by a stranger for a couple minutes, I'd:
  • Find a way to strap both carseats (without kids in them) to one cart.
  • Use the stroller to transport the kids in the airport.
  • Have a wheelchair pusher push the 1.5yo on the plane with an airport-issued wheelchair while the 2.5yo walks and you pull the carseats.

stormpelt Jun 3, 2019 10:08 am

Originally Posted by themicah (Post 31147366)
I think all airlines offer wheelchair assistance. If it were an adult family member who couldn't walk, the airline would typically provide personnel and equipment to help get them to/from the gate and (if necessary) on/off the plane (they have special wheelchairs that fit down the aisle for that).

I'm not sure exactly how wheelchair assistance would work with a 1.5yo instead of an adult, but assuming the 2.5yo can get him/herself down the aisle of the plane and the 1.5yo can handle being strapped into an unfamiliar wheelchair pushed by a stranger for a couple minutes, I'd:
  • Find a way to strap both carseats (without kids in them) to one cart.
  • Use the stroller to transport the kids in the airport.
  • Have a wheelchair pusher push the 1.5yo on the plane with an airport-issued wheelchair while the 2.5yo walks and you pull the carseats.

Should I specifically request wheelchair assistance? I tried requesting general disability assistance (I mean, my kids are delayed and all and are on special educational plans, so it certainly counts as a disability), but I got denied. The disability assistance customer service people just told me to ask the agents for help when I get to the airport. I even tried emailing the disability assistance people, and same answer. I actually was able to fit both the car seats into the double stroller, and will probably strap them tightly to the double stroller, and put each kid in each car seat. It's the getting on and off the plane that worries me, as strollers are taken at the gate.

themicah Jun 4, 2019 10:12 am

I would try to request wheelchair assistance. If you tell them you are traveling with someone who can't walk and needs assistance getting on and off the plane, I would hope they would help you.

But I'm not sure exactly how it would work as I've never dealt with wheelchair assistance personally and certainly not with children.