Infant LAP/SEAT

Old Apr 14, 19, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aer Lingus, United, Virgin Atlantic, Qatar
Infant LAP/SEAT

So I am asking here and a couple of the other airline forums so forgive the duplication. (AA/United/Delta)

I am looking at going to the US from Ireland with the wife and child.

Child is 1 year old so does qualify for the lap and bassinet. Small problem is that child is on the tall side. Thats my fault, I am 6'8" so he is a big boy for someone that is 13 months old.

If I book 2 adult tickets and infant on lap will I be restricted to just that or will I (a) get the bassinet or (b) be moved to a row of 3 subject to availability. I don't fancy being on the row of 2 not the AA A332 with a lap child for 7 hours. Booking a seat for an infant is only about €100 less than full fare.

I ask because Qatar have moved us to a row of 3 when we asked at the airport.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 14, 19 at 11:02 am Reason: Moved to Travel With Childern forum
Old Apr 14, 19, 10:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You might get lucky with securing a free empty seat. But that would be luck, not policy. And that's the same across all three carriers you mentioned. Also, odds of an empty seat on planes these days are pretty low.

If you want the bassinet then call and request it, but if the kid doesn't really fit that's not a great plan.
Old Apr 14, 19, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, AC, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by energydj View Post
So I am asking here and a couple of the other airline forums so forgive the duplication. (AA/United/Delta)

I am looking at going to the US from Ireland with the wife and child.

Child is 1 year old so does qualify for the lap and bassinet. Small problem is that child is on the tall side. Thats my fault, I am 6'8" so he is a big boy for someone that is 13 months old.

If I book 2 adult tickets and infant on lap will I be restricted to just that or will I (a) get the bassinet or (b) be moved to a row of 3 subject to availability. I don't fancy being on the row of 2 not the AA A332 with a lap child for 7 hours. Booking a seat for an infant is only about €100 less than full fare.

I ask because Qatar have moved us to a row of 3 when we asked at the airport.
NEVER assume you’ll have an empty seat next to you. Especially these days. No matter the carrier. Flights are generally full. If you want the infant to have a seat, then you’ll need to pay for one. If you’re ok with then in your lap, then just pay for that (10% of adult fare). If you’re ok with them in your lap/in the bassinet, then just do that. But don’t pay the lap infant fare expecting them to have a seat. In 90%+ of the cases, they won’t.

With a lap infant, you’ll have access to a bassinet based on availability - that will mean you’ll need to request it in advance, so the sooner, the better. That request will also come with a bulkhead seat - I believe for the person who has the infant booked and one companion. You won’t have to pay E+ fees for that, either, if you have a lap infant. Note the bassinet can be tricky - they’ll put it up after take off and take down before landing. It can only be used when the seatbelt is off. Our kids never did well in a bassinet, so we never really booked them, however, on a bumpy flight, or one that’s on and off with the seatbelt sign, it can mean taking the infant back and forth between bassinet and lap. Which is all good, as long as you’re prepared.

Good luck with the flight - from a family that travels with kids quite but, it can be a challange.
Old Apr 14, 19, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aer Lingus, United, Virgin Atlantic, Qatar
Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post

NEVER assume you’ll have an empty seat next to you. Especially these days. No matter the carrier. Flights are generally full. If you want the infant to have a seat, then you’ll need to pay for one. If you’re ok with then in your lap, then just pay for that (10% of adult fare). If you’re ok with them in your lap/in the bassinet, then just do that. But don’t pay the lap infant fare expecting them to have a seat. In 90%+ of the cases, they won’t.

With a lap infant, you’ll have access to a bassinet based on availability - that will mean you’ll need to request it in advance, so the sooner, the better. That request will also come with a bulkhead seat - I believe for the person who has the infant booked and one companion. You won’t have to pay E+ fees for that, either, if you have a lap infant. Note the bassinet can be tricky - they’ll put it up after take off and take down before landing. It can only be used when the seatbelt is off. Our kids never did well in a bassinet, so we never really booked them, however, on a bumpy flight, or one that’s on and off with the seatbelt sign, it can mean taking the infant back and forth between bassinet and lap. Which is all good, as long as you’re prepared.

Good luck with the flight - from a family that travels with kids quite but, it can be a challange.

Ah we are used it to it now. Bang in the calpol!!

Have done Australia twice in the last year.

Search this Thread