Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Where to go this summer with fam (2+6yo)?

Old Mar 25, 19, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT-TE, United Gold

My wife and I are looking to book a trip this summer (5-7 nights) with our 2 girls, 2 and 6 years old. We are considering Hawaii (our normal vacation spot) as well as Mexico (Puerto Vallarta) but are trying to think of other options to consider. These are some of the things we're looking for:
  • Warm (doesn't have to be in the tropics but definitely warmer climate)
  • Beach and/or Pool activities
  • Family Friendly but not packed and full of noise (aka: Disney properties)
  • Ability to find privacy/Large enough property to be able to spread out (I don't want to fight for a lounge chair)
  • Higher end but not highest end or overly "fancy" (we love the St. Regis Punta Mita but that may be overkill for this trip)
  • Open to hotel or condo destinations but if condo, prefer to have amenities onsite
  • If hotel, prefer Marriott to try to use some points but not a requirement
Appreciate any suggestions! Happy to add any other details that might be helpful.
Old Mar 26, 19, 4:19 am

Programs: UA PLT, Marriott PLT
If Europe isnít out of the question domes of elounda in Crete was an amazing property. They have suites with personal pools with washer/dryer in room. Itís not a Disney property however. I think Hawaii has a Disney prop but i donít think itís a Marriott. Canít go wrong with Hawaii. I love Puerta Vallarta. Great foodie town. The Marriott there had a kids program if i recall.

You may also consider airbnb. One think i found since i have kids sometimes itís easier to find a place with space at an Airbnb over a hotel(even though i have lifetime gold with Marriott.)
Old Mar 26, 19, 6:59 am

Programs: Air: UA *S, WN CP | Hotels - Gold: Choice, CC, & HH; Hotels - Amb: Marriott
OP - from where are you originating? How far are you willing to travel?

We just booked Pine Cliffs (3 different Marriott properties in 1) in Portugal for a family vacation with our 4 yo and 1 yo.
Old Mar 27, 19, 9:49 am

Hilton Head? Easy to get to.

I know it can be packed generally, but the Mariner section of Palmetto Dunes is pretty nice. You can rent a nice home, with walkways to the beach. We find there are lots of people planted on the beach near the resorts, but away from those you have some nice space on the beach.

And for the air $$ you save, you can get a pretty nice home beachfront/accross street from beach. VRBO is a good resource.

We find Sea Pines too crowded! Palmetto Dunes is nice mid-island.

Delta and American fly right into HHH, but more flights go to SAV.
Old Mar 27, 19, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by njxbean View Post
If Europe isnít out of the question domes of elounda in Crete was an amazing property. They have suites with personal pools with washer/dryer in room. Itís not a Disney property however. I think Hawaii has a Disney prop but i donít think itís a Marriott. Canít go wrong with Hawaii. I love Puerta Vallarta. Great foodie town. The Marriott there had a kids program if i recall.

You may also consider airbnb. One think i found since i have kids sometimes itís easier to find a place with space at an Airbnb over a hotel(even though i have lifetime gold with Marriott.)
Forgot to add we're flying from the Bay Area (SFO, OAK, SKC) and our 2yo isn't the best on long flights so probably not Europe this year. Would LOVE to get to Crete at some point though! And I may not have been clear in my post but we're not looking for Disney

Hawaii is our go-to and where we might end up but we typically get there once a year already so trying to think of something new.

Completely agree on AirBnB/condo rentals - we're going to compare both but we do like having all the hotel amenities right on property and not feeling like we have to leave to keep the kids entertained. Also a big plus if they have a kids club that will take 2 year olds

Puerto Vallarta is another big option for us - we love the St. Regis Punta Mita but I'm 90k short on Marriott (still can't call it Bonvoy...) points to do 5 nights for the price of 4. Still considering it along with some of the other properties (we stayed at the Westin there before as well) but worried some of the in-town properties will be super-packed in June/July when we're looking to go.

Originally Posted by FindAWay View Post
OP - from where are you originating? How far are you willing to travel?

We just booked Pine Cliffs (3 different Marriott properties in 1) in Portugal for a family vacation with our 4 yo and 1 yo.
Wow, can't believe I left that out! We'd be flying from the Bay Area. Most likely SFO but can do OAK or SJC as well. Our 2yo isn't the best on the plane so most likely staying within a 5-6hr nonstop, ideally.

Originally Posted by stan1162 View Post
I know it can be packed generally, but the Mariner section of Palmetto Dunes is pretty nice. You can rent a nice home, with walkways to the beach. We find there are lots of people planted on the beach near the resorts, but away from those you have some nice space on the beach.

And for the air $$ you save, you can get a pretty nice home beachfront/accross street from beach. VRBO is a good resource.

We find Sea Pines too crowded! Palmetto Dunes is nice mid-island.

Delta and American fly right into HHH, but more flights go to SAV.
Thanks for the tip! Never been out to Hilton Head but we'll check it out as an option!
Old Mar 27, 19, 10:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Aren't you concerned about the crime and safety issues that Mexico is experiencing?

BTW Pine Cliffs is nice, although the beach might not be the best for very young kids. You can fly into either Faro or Lisbon and rent a car. If you didn't want to fly and drive this distance on the same day, you could stay a night or so in the Sheraton resort complex on the outskirts of Lisbon. (No beach and their pool isn't nearly as nice as the pools at Pine Cliffs, but it's a convenient option for LIS that avoids either going downtown or staying in an airport hotel.)

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Mar 27, 19 at 10:22 am
Old Mar 27, 19, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Aren't you concerned about the crime and safety issues that Mexico is experiencing?

BTW Pine Cliffs is nice, although the beach might not be the best for very young kids. You can fly into either Faro or Lisbon and rent a car. If you didn't want to fly and drive this distance on the same day, you could stay a night or so in the Sheraton resort complex on the outskirts of Lisbon. (No beach and their pool isn't nearly as nice as the pools at Pine Cliffs, but it's a convenient option for LIS that avoids either going downtown or staying in an airport hotel.)
Not really on the crime - the resort areas have been pretty safe.

I think Europe is out for this trip - would love to do it in the future but our youngest needs at least another year to be a better long distance flyer.
Old Mar 27, 19, 7:12 pm

Westin and Marriotts

Originally Posted by chrisdeaner View Post
Forgot to add we're flying from the Bay Area (SFO, OAK, SKC) and our 2yo isn't the best on long flights so probably not Europe this year. Would LOVE to get to Crete at some point though! And I may not have been clear in my post but we're not looking for Disney

Hawaii is our go-to and where we might end up but we typically get there once a year already so trying to think of something new.

Completely agree on AirBnB/condo rentals - we're going to compare both but we do like having all the hotel amenities right on property and not feeling like we have to leave to keep the kids entertained. Also a big plus if they have a kids club that will take 2 year olds

Puerto Vallarta is another big option for us - we love the St. Regis Punta Mita but I'm 90k short on Marriott (still can't call it Bonvoy...) points to do 5 nights for the price of 4. Still considering it along with some of the other properties (we stayed at the Westin there before as well) but worried some of the in-town properties will be super-packed in June/July when we're looking to go.

Wow, can't believe I left that out! We'd be flying from the Bay Area. Most likely SFO but can do OAK or SJC as well. Our 2yo isn't the best on the plane so most likely staying within a 5-6hr nonstop, ideally.

Thanks for the tip! Never been out to Hilton Head but we'll check it out as an option!

I've been going since our first drive to Disney in 1975. Then I had kids (1988), we would go to Disney or Hilton Head every year, or both. Hilton Head is really easy. We like private home or condo rentals, but have stayed at the Westin, at Marriott Properties too. And the Omni. I like those in quieter times of the year, and a home in June. I've been in September, October, December, April, May, June and July.

If you can swing an oceanfront home, it makes mid-day naps ( kids and grownups) so easy. And toting umbrellas and chairs and snacks. Who doesn't like a 50 step walk to the beach! There are some truly outstanding oceanfront properties.
We've stayed in all of the Plantations. Like I said the Mariner section of Palmetto Dunes is my favorite. It's quieter. Sea Pines is crazy busy in high season. Lots of people like it though.

Plus, it's not too long a flight if you're coming from SFO.
Old Mar 29, 19, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stan1162 View Post
I've been going since our first drive to Disney in 1975. Then I had kids (1988), we would go to Disney or Hilton Head every year, or both. Hilton Head is really easy. We like private home or condo rentals, but have stayed at the Westin, at Marriott Properties too. And the Omni. I like those in quieter times of the year, and a home in June. I've been in September, October, December, April, May, June and July.

If you can swing an oceanfront home, it makes mid-day naps ( kids and grownups) so easy. And toting umbrellas and chairs and snacks. Who doesn't like a 50 step walk to the beach! There are some truly outstanding oceanfront properties.
We've stayed in all of the Plantations. Like I said the Mariner section of Palmetto Dunes is my favorite. It's quieter. Sea Pines is crazy busy in high season. Lots of people like it though.

Plus, it's not too long a flight if you're coming from SFO.
Appreciate the tip! We'll definitely check it out - would be awesome if we can fly nonstop into SAV instead of connecting to get to HHH.
Old Apr 17, 19, 3:44 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Our 4 year old loved our Costa Rica trip. Beaches, animals, etc! It’s rainy season during the summer but on the positive side that makes everything very lush and green, and rates are probably cheaper. There are usually a few dry weeks in the mix....you’d have to carefully research the weather.

Here’s our trip report.
TRIP REPORT: The Peace Lodge & Four Seasons Peninsula Papagayo (Costa Rica)
levilevi likes this.
Old Apr 29, 19, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ericka View Post
Our 4 year old loved our Costa Rica trip. Beaches, animals, etc! It’s rainy season during the summer but on the positive side that makes everything very lush and green, and rates are probably cheaper. There are usually a few dry weeks in the mix....you’d have to carefully research the weather.

Here’s our trip report.
TRIP REPORT: The Peace Lodge & Four Seasons Peninsula Papagayo (Costa Rica)

Appreciate the tip! We settled on the St. Regis Punta Mita as we've been wanting to bring our kids their since we visited for our Honeymoon several years ago. I've only heard great things about Costa Rica so that may be in the cards for next year!

Last edited by chrisdeaner; Apr 29, 19 at 10:52 am Reason: Added Quote

Search this Thread