Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Current experiences on Hertz child seat option?

Old Feb 5, 19, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Kettel, WN Companion Pass

Hey all, was hoping to get some recent experiences anyone's had with Hertz child seats (20-40lb for a 5yo, not infant or booster), specifically condition and cleanliness. Recently became AAA member and learned you can get a free car seat as a benefit. It would certainly be easier to not need to haul our travel seat through the airports, but obviously if Hertz is going to give me some disgusting thing, or one that's cracked/damaged, it would not be worth it. I'm fine with mild dirt, we always have wipes and things with us.

Thanks
Old Feb 5, 19, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by pdisme View Post
Hey all, was hoping to get some recent experiences anyone's had with Hertz child seats (20-40lb for a 5yo, not infant or booster), specifically condition and cleanliness. Recently became AAA member and learned you can get a free car seat as a benefit. It would certainly be easier to not need to haul our travel seat through the airports, but obviously if Hertz is going to give me some disgusting thing, or one that's cracked/damaged, it would not be worth it. I'm fine with mild dirt, we always have wipes and things with us.

Thanks
We hired a car with car seat for baby. It was in very good condition. A few crumbs in it but we wiped them out. We are probably not in the same country as you.
Old Feb 5, 19, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Yep, US here; specifically RNO and DEN (ski trips where we're already going to be lugging all kinds of other junk).
Old Feb 5, 19, 2:57 pm

We've probably used Hertz seats a couple times a year on average for the last 10 years, all within the US.

One time several years ago I got a filthy seat from a tiny Manhattan location, and they were very apologetic about it. But in the last few years they've all been very clean, reasonably new-looking bare bones Cosco Sceneras (like the $40 Walmart version). I like our own Britax seat better (it feels more solid, has better fabric and hardware, and the kid sits higher), but our kids have never complained about the rental seats and I've never felt that they were unsafe. We actually had a kid in a rental seat when we were in a crash last year, and the seat did its job (thankfully a bruise on my wife's elbow was the only injury in a crash with enough force to destroy our front axle and spin our Chevy Traverse 120 degree).

One thing to know: for liability reasons Hertz will not install the seat for you. The Sceneras aren't hard to install, but make sure to take your time to do it right.
Old Feb 5, 19, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! I'll probably give it a try on an upcoming trip. Worst case I'll run to a big box store to get a new seat if there is some unsolvable issue.
Old Feb 6, 19, 5:17 am
yno

Programs: FB, M&M, Marriot, IHG, Club Carlson
Had car seats the last two times we rented from IND. Each time clean and good condition.
Old Feb 6, 19, 1:34 pm

This is all good to know -- I was freaked out by reports I read about dirty, old, cracked seats... so I just went with Silvercar for our next family rental next week.. 2 car seats included in rental price, which actually with a promo code turned out cheaper than Hertz.
Old Feb 26, 19, 7:48 am

A few weeks ago I took a trip with the children. Rent a car a few days with a chair included and everything very clean the truth. On other occasions also hire with Hertz the car rental, all very good and good price.
Old Feb 27, 19, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Trying a Hertz seat out of DEN next week; will post how it goes. :-)

Search this Thread