rear facing seat

Old Jul 9, 18, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Rear-facing seat, base or not? Wizz Air confusing language

Infant car seat: A rear-facing infant car seat equipped with inside seat belt may be taken onboard only if additional seat on the flight has been purchased. The car seat must be equipped with a latch which enables it to be securely fastened with the passenger seat belt.
I am reading this and scratching my head. I'm guessing it's the work of a European translator who's never lived in an English-speaking country. Please help!

1. Regarding the "inside seat belt" - what in the world does that mean? All rear-facing baby seats I've ever seen have seat belts that are I guess "inside" the seat. You know, the usual 5-point harness in the photo below.

2. I am more confused by the second sentence. What "latch" are they talking about? The car seat I am hoping to use for our infant is a Canadian one (regulations vary across countries I believe) and looks just like the one in the photo. The only things that actually "latch" are 1) the base on the right which has connectors that latch onto the metal anchors of a car's seat (hell, the technology itself is called LATCH), and 2) the actual car seat latches onto the base. The car seat can also be installed by itself by using the car/airplane seat belt. When flying other airlines we've never used the base, we've simply strapped - not "latched" - the car seat itself with the seat belt.

I have little choice but to fly Wizz, and they will not gate check a car seat for free, only the folding stroller part. I'm inclined to bring the base with me cause that's the only thing that does any "latching", but concerned they won't allow it and make me pay 100 euro or whatever if they deem it an extra piece of checked luggage.

Here is the picture:
Old Jul 11, 18, 2:32 pm

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by bambinomartino View Post
I am reading this and scratching my head. I'm guessing it's the work of a European translator who's never lived in an English-speaking country. Please help!

1. Regarding the "inside seat belt" - what in the world does that mean? All rear-facing baby seats I've ever seen have seat belts that are I guess "inside" the seat. You know, the usual 5-point harness in the photo below.

2. I am more confused by the second sentence. What "latch" are they talking about? The car seat I am hoping to use for our infant is a Canadian one (regulations vary across countries I believe) and looks just like the one in the photo. The only things that actually "latch" are 1) the base on the right which has connectors that latch onto the metal anchors of a car's seat (hell, the technology itself is called LATCH), and 2) the actual car seat latches onto the base. The car seat can also be installed by itself by using the car/airplane seat belt. When flying other airlines we've never used the base, we've simply strapped - not "latched" - the car seat itself with the seat belt.

I have little choice but to fly Wizz, and they will not gate check a car seat for free, only the folding stroller part. I'm inclined to bring the base with me cause that's the only thing that does any "latching", but concerned they won't allow it and make me pay 100 euro or whatever if they deem it an extra piece of checked luggage.

Here is the picture:

I am guessing by latch they mean some kind of way that it can be secured in place with the passenger lapbelt style seatbelt. Yours does that, so you're fine. No need to bring the base. You'll slide the lap belt through the two notches on either side, and you're all set.
Old Jan 19, 19, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: life ritz platinum, SA hon circle, Eastern Executive Traveler, Delta Flying Colonel, AA Admiral VIP
rear facing seat

Was on a flight the other day in first and person in row 2 and bought seat for her 5 month old. She put the rear facing child seat in and row 1 screamed that he could not put his seat back. FA yelled at woman. She brought out airline and Fed rules allowing infant seat and almost threw it at her. Captain came back. Gate agent came in All read their "books" and finally agreed woman was correct and told 1d to shut up.
One for child safety, zero for a..h.le in first
levilevi and Jlk88 like this.
Old Jan 19, 19, 8:51 pm

Programs: NZ *G
So..being a parent allows you to not only inconvenience someone else, but ALSO call them an a$$hole if they complain about it? Nice work if you can get it. You actually think that is equitable it seems.
Old Jan 20, 19, 7:34 am
Suspended

Programs: life ritz platinum, SA hon circle, Eastern Executive Traveler, Delta Flying Colonel, AA Admiral VIP
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
So..being a parent allows you to not only inconvenience someone else, but ALSO call them an a$$hole if they complain about it? Nice work if you can get it. You actually think that is equitable it seems.
Trooper. It is not about being a parent, that has no ranking. BUT a child's safety will always outrank someone's ability to put their seat back unless that person is an a..hole - don't you think?
Old Jan 21, 19, 2:12 am
yno

Programs: FB, M&M, Marriot, IHG, Club Carlson
seems to me the mother was fully in her right: passenger in row screams at her, FA screams at her... she is fully right to not be very pleased with their reaction.
Old Feb 26, 19, 8:01 am

The rules are never entirely clear. In the end people interpret the rule differently and problems happen.

Search this Thread