Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

cheap & light Booster car seat for travel, car rental?

Old Nov 28, 18, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Traveling to California and renting car for 8 days. It makes no sense, too expensive to pay over $100 for booster seat rental with the rental company for our 5 years old. I won't carry out booster car seat from our car cos it is heavy.
Anyone can recommend cheap and legal booster car seat? When my child was around 2, i bought regular car seat which was still big but light and cheap for around $23 from the brand Cosco. But i am not using that this time since it is too tight, uncomfortable for him so I have to go for booster seat.
I googled and found something called BUBBLE GUM booster seat for less then $30. looks more like a piece of mattress and don't know if it is even legally allowed to use in US.
Thanks
Old Nov 28, 18, 9:30 pm

Firstly, how much does your child weigh and how tall is he?

Second, do you have a specific budget? Is it $30?

The BubbleBum is definitely legal in the United States, and is properly crash tested. It would likely be an option for your situation (some people get them just for traveling or carpooling), however there might be better choices. The BubbleBum is quite small, and it therefore might not provide comfortable support and itís also prone to becoming Ďtippyí for the same reason (we looked at one for carpooling situations for our daughter when she outgrew her harnessed seat, but decided against it).

Ideally, at five years old, a booster might not be suitable. Clearly carrying a heavy car seat around is far from ideal, and traveling is tricky with any sort of child seat, but have you considered the Ride Safer Travel Vest? Itís probably a bit more than your budget, but if youíre going to make similar trips in future, itís probably good value for money. Itís fairly compact, and will easily fit in a typical suitcase or travel bag.

The IMMI Go seat might be worth looking at as well. Like the Ride Safer Travel Vest itís not cheap, but will provide something much closer to a harnessed seat while still being very portable. And the same applies regarding budget Ė if youíre going to make multiple similar trips in future, it will become much better value over time.

The other option is the Mifold which acts like a booster but is much smaller. Itís not expensive Ė about $30 to $35, but the fit of the seatbelt is not always consistent and depends a lot on the car youíll be renting. Also, of these options, this is probably the least preferable choice for a 5 year old, due to size and fit issues.

If a low backed booster is the only feasible option, then the Harmony Juvenile Booster might work. Itís cheap and doesnít tip like the BubbleBum. We got one for our daughter for carpooling and itís proved adequate, although itís not that well cushioned.

I would perhaps look at the five-step test to determine if a booster is the best option, and then consider that with regard to your travel plans/situation. There are other options than the above Ė including a harnessed seat if possible Ė but hopefully these suggestions are of some help.
Old Nov 30, 18, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sportsguy1 View Post
Firstly, how much does your child weigh and how tall is he?

Second, do you have a specific budget? Is it $30?

The BubbleBum is definitely legal in the United States, and is properly crash tested. It would likely be an option for your situation (some people get them just for traveling or carpooling), however there might be better choices. The BubbleBum is quite small, and it therefore might not provide comfortable support and itís also prone to becoming Ďtippyí for the same reason (we looked at one for carpooling situations for our daughter when she outgrew her harnessed seat, but decided against it).

Ideally, at five years old, a booster might not be suitable. Clearly carrying a heavy car seat around is far from ideal, and traveling is tricky with any sort of child seat, but have you considered the Ride Safer Travel Vest? Itís probably a bit more than your budget, but if youíre going to make similar trips in future, itís probably good value for money. Itís fairly compact, and will easily fit in a typical suitcase or travel bag.

The IMMI Go seat might be worth looking at as well. Like the Ride Safer Travel Vest itís not cheap, but will provide something much closer to a harnessed seat while still being very portable. And the same applies regarding budget Ė if youíre going to make multiple similar trips in future, it will become much better value over time.

The other option is the Mifold which acts like a booster but is much smaller. Itís not expensive Ė about $30 to $35, but the fit of the seatbelt is not always consistent and depends a lot on the car youíll be renting. Also, of these options, this is probably the least preferable choice for a 5 year old, due to size and fit issues.

If a low backed booster is the only feasible option, then the Harmony Juvenile Booster might work. Itís cheap and doesnít tip like the BubbleBum. We got one for our daughter for carpooling and itís proved adequate, although itís not that well cushioned.

I would perhaps look at the five-step test to determine if a booster is the best option, and then consider that with regard to your travel plans/situation. There are other options than the above Ė including a harnessed seat if possible Ė but hopefully these suggestions are of some help.
In our car, we use Frontier ClickTight booster seat for our almost 5 years old child and I think it is good for another 3 years.
I don't travel a lot so I can't spend much for travel car seat for our 4 and 11 months old child. The mifold and the bubble are priced about $40. if they are legal for use in car for bigger child like him, I would purchase one of them,
Old Dec 2, 18, 8:20 pm

It might sound like a crazy idea, but have you considered traveling with your Frontier?

We had the Frontier Clicktight for our daughter which she used (harnessed) in the car and on flights until 13 years old (no special needs, she's just very small for her age). We actually chose it in part because it could be used on aircraft.

While itís of course a big and fairly heavy seat, it does have some advantages worth considering. First, you know heís within the weight and height limits and will be safe; second, heís familiar with it and wonít therefore be uncomfortable; third, itís extremely unlikely youíll have any issues installing it in the vehicle at your destination (which is always welcome after a flight!); fourth, you wonít have to worry about the time and money of buying a new seat; and lastly, if need be, he could sit in it at the airport when youíre waiting which might be more comfortable (and probably cleaner!) than a departure lounge/restaurant seat.

Obviously itís size and weight arenít ideally suited to traveling, but there are compact and collapsible wheeled carts you can use (for example
this this
or
this this
) which actually make it fairly agreeable to move around.

If taking the Frontier isnít an option and he weighs 40lbs or more, then the Mifold and BubbleBum could be used as they are both fully approved for use in the U.S. from the age of 4 years and 40lbs (and there are no other specific regulations according to California's car seat laws). Itís worth checking to see if he passes the five-step test, as children who are used to only traveling in a 5-point harness tend to need time to adjust to riding in a booster seat (even our daughter needed reminding a few times when she started at 13!).

Hopefully this is helpful!
(should you have any questions about traveling with the Frontier donít hesitate to ask.)
Old Jan 5, 19, 7:32 am
Suspended

Programs: life ritz platinum, SA hon circle, Eastern Executive Traveler, Delta Flying Colonel, AA Admiral VIP
booster seats not allowable on planes.
If you are going to be a while, we used to buy new at walmart
Some rental car agencies will give free if you have elite status

Search this Thread