Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

tips for a 17 hour flight with a 13 month old

Old Nov 18, 18, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA PLT, Marriott PLT

So we are a month away from a long haul. The long leg of the trip will be 17 hrs and 30 mins. the kiddo has been on a few flights thus far. But nothing more than 5 hours. Any tips for a flight of this length?
Old Nov 19, 18, 1:46 pm
yno

Programs: FB, M&M, Marriot, IHG, Club Carlson
Wow that’s one impressive leg.

When our youngest had just turned one, we did a transatlantic trip Europe-us, with transfer. A total of 14h each way, with 9 hours on the long leg. The key for us was to have food, some of her favourite toys, a few books, and lots of patience. You need to see what your kid loves most and has the most patience for.
And you need to know it won’t be your flight to fully enjoy: be fully concentrated on your kid, play with them, engage them, tell them stories, feed them, take a few walks, and hope they might nap (the white noise generated by the engines may help)
njxbean and levilevi like this.
Old Nov 19, 18, 3:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Liquor.
njxbean and DirtyDan like this.
Old Nov 20, 18, 4:33 am
yno

Programs: FB, M&M, Marriot, IHG, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Liquor.
for who? :-)
Old Nov 20, 18, 4:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA PLT, Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Liquor.
Originally Posted by yno View Post
for who? :-)
Iím open to all suggestions!
Old Dec 9, 18, 7:29 am

Veteran of east coast US to Perth Australia with a 13 month old here. It's a miracle my spouse is still married to me. The child is now 9 -- it gets a lot easier as they get bigger, but that first one was a doozy.

This is a marvelous resource Flying with Children

Some specific things I remember:

New snacks were a good distraction. Do you have a snack trap/snack catcher? If not, that can be a fun new toy, and fill it with a few favorites and a few baby-friendly foods that your kid hasn't had a chance to try before. Goldfish, cheerios, puffs, that kind of thing

For a break from our seats, I put the baby in a carrier and walked around the plane for a bit. In general, I found the carrier to make life much easier than a stroller at that age -- I had wheels on the luggage, not the baby.

Peekaboo with the blanket. Peekaboo with small objects in the sick bag. Repeat for five hours straight until the baby falls asleep.

A small pouch with the requirements for 1-2 diaper changes; you don't need to carry your entire bag into the airplane bathroom.

Spare clothes for kid; spare shirt for you. If the kid is on your lap, a blanket to put *underneath* them in case of leakages.

A couple of extra diapers so that when you get to your destination and pass out, you aren't going through your luggage in the middle of the night to find what you need.
DirtyDan and levilevi like this.
Old Dec 9, 18, 7:37 am

Programs: Aeroplan Black, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, Mlife Pearl
No advice but you have my sympathy - good luck!
Old Dec 13, 18, 4:27 am

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
1) Blank paper: stickers (simple dots or stars, etc...) and markers to colour said papers/stickers.
2) Downloaded TV shows - with a set of head phones.
3) Ipad with apps (as a note, our little monkey only gets her ipad on trips)
4) food in various plastic bags... cheerios, raisins, whatever...
5) a NEW book or two.
6) puzzle - but can be challenging to have the space to hold the board and place the pieces in one-by-one (it gets boring handing her the pieces after the 4th time, but better than a wailing child).
Old Dec 20, 18, 10:42 am

Looks like a month after original post... would love to hear how it went!
DirtyDan likes this.

Search this Thread