Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Layover in Charlotte

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Layover in Charlotte

I am traveling alone with my almost 5 year old to Disney.There are no direct flights from our airport. Our flight is at 5am and I have two options for layovers: 1 or 3 hours. I will be gate checking a stroller. Is there a chance we'd make a one hour connection at CLT ? Is it better to take the 3hr layover. If we do that is there anything to do for 3 hrs for my kid.

Thanks !
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
take the 3 hour layover. 1 hour doesnt give you a ton of room if your first flight gets delayed. What you dont want is to miss your second flight and be stranded in the airport with your 5 year old and scrambling or having to run through the airport with the kid.

1 hour is doable if the conditions are fine but you just wont have much room for error.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
1 hour is doable but, depending on where your gates are, you may have to run. Running across an airport with a 5yo is never fun. In CLT, there are lots of restaurants, rocking chairs, and art exhibits. What time are you landing in CLT, you mention take-off of your original flight (5am) but not what time you land.

Also note that there is some construction in some of the concourses so they get very very crowded, making running to a flight harder, esp. with a stroller.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I suppose an important question is; where are you coming from? One hour from an international journey is pretty much impossible, and there are a number of airports in the US where a delayed departure at certain times of the year is pretty much guaranteed.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

I am coming from Richmond and landing there around 6:30am. If I do the 3 hr layover, we are there till around 9:20am.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:39 pm
Suspended

If you are on one ticket, you will be ok.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

I am on one ticket but if my flight is late and I miss my connection , what happens then ? I am travelling American Airlines.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:45 pm
Suspended

They'll put you on the next flight. If there are no more flights that day, you may end up paying for a hotel but I wouldn't fret about that yet.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Personally, having traveled with my now 5yo many times (and I'm a single mom, so always alone with her), I would do the longer connection. Land, get some food (hungry kids are awful !) , walk the concourses and see the planes, let him/her run a little, rock on the rocking chairs, and be unstressed about running to your flight. The last thing you want is a Disney-focused 5 yo to miss a flight and be whiny and cranky and spend even MORE time at the airport.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The ungodly early flights such as yours tend to be on time.. check historical on time performance but imo 1 hr connection should be ok in your case..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.