Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Trusted Traveler Number for 2+ Year Old?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Our little guy is turning two in less than a month and it just dawned on me that he may need a trusted traveler number for PreCheck once he has his own ticket. Both mom and dad have PreCheck and he'll always be traveling with one of us. Does he need one as well once he's a ticketed passenger? Thanks!
Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
When i flew with my 6 month old her had a ticket and he and the rest of my family all had pre-check from me having bought the tickets. YMMV but i think you likely will be ok and get pre-check.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:45 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Aknoff
Our little guy is turning two in less than a month and it just dawned on me that he may need a trusted traveler number for PreCheck once he has his own ticket. Both mom and dad have PreCheck and he'll always be traveling with one of us. Does he need one as well once he's a ticketed passenger? Thanks!
The child doesn't need a KTN number to enter into bookings in order to use PreCheck with an accompanying adult with PreCheck on the boarding pass (for one or more adults on the same flight). Accompanying pre-teen children can use PreCheck even without PreCheck on their boarding pass, as long as the boarding pass of an accompanying passenger has PreCheck on the boarding pass.

The only reason I would consider wasting my time entering a KTN into the booking for a child your child's age: to reduce the chances of the child being hit by a haraSSSSment flag. But those haraSSSSment flags are so very rarely present for children flying domestically or internationally from the US that if it happens then you have bigger problems than whether or not there is a PreCheck notation on the child's boarding pass.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info! That's what I assumed but couldn't find much information for this scenario online. Much appreciated, as always.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:51 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Aknoff
Thanks for the info! That's what I assumed but couldn't find much information for this scenario online. Much appreciated, as always.
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/frequentl...-precheck-lane is a link to have in case anyone tries to give you issues.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As stated no need for KTN for kids but for those with international travel global entry is a very useful thing to get at any age
Despite KTN etc kids of any age occasionally get pulled for random screens/swabs anyways
Old Jul 25, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
As others have posted, children under than 12 are better than PreCheck. Not only can they accompany PreCheck adults, but in instances where PreCheck "light" is in operation--i.e, you'd normally be directed to the body scanner--kids and accompanying adults are always entitled to use the magnetometer.

Sounds like your travel is domestic, but also as others have noted, the same is NOT true for Global Entry. *Every* soul needs their own GE in order to use the GE line. Our little ones got GE as soon as they got their passports. Pro tip: take infant passport photos vertically: have the baby lie down and take the photo from above
Old Nov 27, 2018, 3:48 am

Other random tip: the baby does not need to be awake for their global entry interview and picture.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
My daughter got Global Entry at age 6 months. Well worth it
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Scotttheking
Other random tip: the baby does not need to be awake for their global entry interview and picture.
Or for their passport picture - though our 6-month-old is so bloody photogenic, he was awake, alert, looking at the camera, and smiling for his passport pic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.