Old Jun 6, 18, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Too much travelling for a 2 year old?

-deleted-

Last edited by MorkieMoose; Jun 13, 18 at 7:23 pm
Old Jun 6, 18, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA PLT, Marriott PLT
I have already done two trips with my 8 month old. Have another big one(17 hour flight) coming up at the end of the year. So no it will not be too much imo. If you love to travel, you might as well get them used to it now.
Old Jun 6, 18, 3:01 pm

Only you will know you kid and how adaptable they are but in our experience kids tend to me more adaptable than adults. As long as they have time to adjust sleep schedules, have adequate rest and food, and a place to get their energy out, they're pretty happy campers. When our kids have been two year olds we've taken several long, multiple-destination trips including California to Utah to Boston to Maine over 3 weeks, California to Hawaii to New Zealand to Hawaii and back over 6 weeks, California to Florida to Washington DC over 2 weeks, and have plans for other similar trips this fall.

It's certainly doable, and in my experience it's always worth it.
Old Jun 6, 18, 10:31 pm

Babies/small kids dont really care where they wake up as long as they are in good health and have food and clean diapers.
thats not a lot of travel - we did bali and russia within 3 mo before they turned 2 while we could still do lap child tix...
Old Jun 6, 18, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All kids are different. Many will be fine. Others may be grumpy if they get up an hour earlier than normal. Itís generally worth it.
Old Jun 7, 18, 9:00 am

Programs: Air: UA *S, WN CP | Hotels - Gold: Choice, CC, & HH; Hotels - Amb: Marriott
Most kids are pretty adaptable and resilient. Life and development continue while traveling. For example, when my son was 12-months old, he walked on his own for the first time in an airport gate area while awaiting another flight.

You and your LO will likely be fine. Our 2-1/2 y.o. has flown over 50,000 miles and has generally done well. The most difficult flights for us were the ones that forced him to be over-tired (not red-eyes per se; but, more like evening and afternoon departures that forced us to keep him up well past his bed/nap-time before boarding). We found the most difficult age for our son to travel was roughly 10-20 months. MommyPoints thinks it is a similar range.

It has been very helpful for us to be prepared with different toys/entertainment options to keep his interest. As he got past the 2-year mark, his attention span has grown, which has made keeping him entertained/occupied on flights much easier. Sometimes, though, the options we brought paled in comparison to those he found himself on the plane - at 10-months, during a short hop, we spent the whole time playing with the safety briefing card and during his most recent flight, our 2-1/2 y.o. kept himself pretty occupied during a 2-hour flight simply looking around the airplane, looking out the window, asking lots of questions, and eating snacks.

So, with a 2+ y.o., I wouldn't hesitate to take both trips!
Old Jun 7, 18, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
Babies/small kids dont really care where they wake up as long as they are in good health and have food and clean diapers.
thats not a lot of travel - we did bali and russia within 3 mo before they turned 2 while we could still do lap child tix...
Babies don't care, but 2 yr olds sure as hell do. Between 2 and 4 a lot of kids get fixated on a routine, crave stability, want to know what to expect next. That's a normal part of child development - they are trying to understand their world, and may become stressed or agitated if that world changes every day. Patterns, routines really help kids.

I'm not saying kids that age range can't or shouldn't travel. Mine did a lot of traveling then, but we learned that at the 14 day mark, he just lost it. He wanted to home, wanted his own bed, had just had enough of the new and unfamiliar. We found trips of no more than 10 days worked okay for him, which made the parents' quality of life much better. All in all, he was a flexible and easy-going kid, but some kids hit 2 and bit, and there's a reason for the term "terrible two's".

Take your kid's disposition into account before deciding on a trip: easy-going, or easy melt-down?
Old Jun 7, 18, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Thanks for all the replies everyone. She's usually good for about 5 days when we go on a trip but after that everything pisses her off and she just wants to be home. The two trips this fall are just a couple weeks apart, so I think we will go for it but keep the trips short.

Search this Thread