Unaccompanied teen Heathrow- report

Old Apr 7, 18, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Unaccompanied teen Heathrow- report

Just posting our experience as I know questions come up here now and then.

Our 16 year old flew LAX-LHR-EDI on AA then BA alone recently. On entering the UK during transit in London she was asked for a letter of permission to travel. She had the letter. It contained:

A statement that she had our permission to travel over the specified dates.
Her flight details.
Our phone numbers and address in the US
The name, address, phone number and relationship of the person she was staying with in Scotland.

We both signed it, but did not get it notarized.

The officer took the letter and asked her details off of it- Who are you staying with, how long, purpose of the visit, and so on.

It all went well, but be sure they do have that letter, as I don't know what would have happened if she did not.
LapLap likes this.

Last edited by VickiSoCal; Apr 7, 18 at 3:15 pm
Old Apr 27, 18, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My own kid has travelled between London and Spain with my parents several times. We’ve never had a letter actually notarised. What we do do is write the letter over a photocopy of both our passports (mine and my husband’s) as well as record a short video of us as a family holding the letter saying that we give permission and store it on my parents’ phone.
On at least one occasion they have shown the letter and played the video to officials. It was fine. Will be doing this again in July (my parents will take her, I’ll bring her back to the UK)

Search this Thread