Search

Prams/Stroller question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2018, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Prams/Stroller question

Hello all,

I have two trips booked already this year with our firstborn to Vienna at 3.5 months and South America (Brazil, Bolivia and Chile) at 8.5 months. The first trip we expect to have the pram attachment and second the pushchair attachment but do airlines (British Airways, Latam, GOL, BoA) have a policy on the size of the prams that get checked into the hold (from what I read any size should be allowed)?

We have a Silvercross Pioneer which has a collapsable chassis but both the pram and pushchair cannot be made smaller. We are looking at getting a travel bag for the pram/pushchair but I'm not clear on what restrictions airlines have on prams/pushchairs (or if anyone recommends a travel bag).

We are also thinking of just taking the carseat attachment for the Vienna trip, but we aren't sure what's the best options. And maybe buying a travel stroller system for the second trip... if it'll cause us let pain (and hidden airlines costs).

Any advice on on any of the above would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Old Feb 8, 2018, 10:10 pm

Airlines should have info including dimensions on their websites (quick Google for "British airways stroller" and it popped right up). Some airlines will list specific brands and models of car seats allowable on board. Be sure to print out all the regulations from each airline's website as time and time again, I and others I know have run into crews that are unaware of their own airline's rules regarding car seats and have wrongly confiscated them. I warned a coworker about this and she disregarded my advice. She ended up crying over having to hold her hefty baby in her lap on an international flight even though she was within the rules with a paid seat and carseat that was within regulations.

if there is room for interpretation or ambiguity in the regs, email customer service ahead of time and print that out. I am not exaggerating when I say cabin crew all too often do not know their own airline's regulations and will overzealously and erroneously enforce their personal interpretation of what the rules are. Personal experience as well as that of friends and coworkers.

whherron and thecoogan like this.

Last edited by Marilu; Feb 8, 2018 at 10:27 pm
Old Feb 9, 2018, 1:28 am
yno

Programs: FB, Accor, Marriot
We used to traval with a bugaboo cameleon pram and never had any issues having it checked in the hold at the gate.
We then switched to the babyzen yoyo+, which folds in a very small size which fits in the overhead luggage bins, and have now used it for almost two years and never had to check it in anymore. For a 8.5 months old baby, the babyzen yoyo+ would be a great choice in my opinion.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Marilu
Airlines should have info including dimensions on their websites (quick Google for "British airways stroller" and it popped right up). Some airlines will list specific brands and models of car seats allowable on board. Be sure to print out all the regulations from each airline's website as time and time again, I and others I know have run into crews that are unaware of their own airline's rules regarding car seats and have wrongly confiscated them. I warned a coworker about this and she disregarded my advice. She ended up crying over having to hold her hefty baby in her lap on an international flight even though she was within the rules with a paid seat and carseat that was within regulations.

if there is room for interpretation or ambiguity in the regs, email customer service ahead of time and print that out. I am not exaggerating when I say cabin crew all too often do not know their own airline's regulations and will overzealously and erroneously enforce their personal interpretation of what the rules are. Personal experience as well as that of friends and coworkers.
Thanks for the advise, I have googled British Airways stroller, along with Latam, BoA, GOL but have found the information to very ambiguous or non existence.

For example BA state this:

"In addition you can also take these items for your infant or child, free of charge:
  • one fully-collapsible pushchair (stroller) and
  • one car seat"
Taken from https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...-travel--index

So, for example I'm not sure if this includes a multi-piece pushchair. The below taken from the same page doesn't state if it's free or not. "All other, larger pushchairs, including double and multi-piece pushchairs can be taken to the departure gate, however, on arrival you must pick up these larger pushchairs at the baggage carousel in the baggage hall."

Latam on the other hand don't mention anything about checking in either the Car Seat or Pushchair free in the hold (https://www.latam.com/en_uk/travel-i...ecked-baggage/). I've contacted them on Facebook and they contradict their answers every time.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 1:52 am
yno

Programs: FB, Accor, Marriot
As for BA, we always travelled with them with our stroller which is a two pieces stroller, and quite massive. Never had an issue having it checked in.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:46 am

Is your pushchair an umbrella-folding type?

We traveled with our daughter and her pushchair on various airlines for just over ten years. We usually flew with British airways and from our experience, with a regular umbrella-folding style pushchair, you will have no problem with taking it to the gate and picking it up as soon you step off the plane.

After she outgrew the first pushchair she had, we got a Maclaren Major for her which was a much larger version of a regular pushchair and also counted as a multi-piece pushchair as it had a detachable footrest. Even with the Maclaren Major we were always able to hand it to the gate staff, and collect it at the door of the plane.

For British Airways at least, as long as your pushchair is under the dimensions specified (117cm x 38cm x 38cm) when folded up, it is very unlikely you will have to collect it from baggage reclaim. If your pushchair is not the umbrella-folding type, but is still under the overall allowed size (e.g. equivalent size, but different dimensions), then I would contact them and ask. I would second Marilu’s point regarding the cabin crew often not knowing their own airline’s policy and having written information to give to them if needed.

If the airlines you’re flying with aren’t providing clear information, have you considered travelling with a separate car seat and cheap umbrella-folding style pushchair? Obviously buying something extra means spending a little bit more money, but if you know you’ll be able to take it with you without any complications/hassles, a separate car seat and pushchair might be more convenient and make the journeys easier. We found that by using her pushchair throughout the airport the only extra item we had to manage was her car seat. Obviously this might not work for others, but in our experience it made things much easier.

Regarding a travel bag we only had one for the last two or so years we had the pushchair, but it was definitely worth it. Before having the bag, we had to keep the footrest with us which meant remembering it and also having it take up space in the overhead bin; having the bag meant it just stayed with the pushchair. Also, the bag will provide some degree of protection and if you have a rental car at your destination, and have to put the pushchair in the back after using it, putting it in the bag will stop any dirt from getting on the car interior.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:54 pm

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt
Our first couple of flights (our son was about 3.5 months old) we took our big travel system stroller and stuffed it into a bag before gate checking it. We found this to be a big hassle, so we soon switched to using a "snap-n-go" stroller that our car seat fit into. It was absolutely not fancy, but that was nice. The investment was minimal if something were to happen to it during gate check, and it could easily be replaced at our destination if we needed to. It held up very well, though.

Once our son was out of his infant car seat, we switched to one of two options: the Babyjogger City Mini and the Uppababy G-Lite. Both folded easily and were very lightweight. The G-lite is extremely lightweight. We used a very light car seat on the plane, and this could easily hang from the handlebars of the stroller. I think once we put the City Mini into its bag when gate checking. But we never bothered after that. Both the G-Lite and the City Mini have been on countless flights unbagged and have held up great. The City Mini in particular is pretty bulletproof.

Now there are umbrella strollers that can fit in an overhead, so that's an option. Either way, I'm a big fan of going as light and compact as is comfortably possible. You'll have time to figure it out between the two flights. You can see what works and make adjustments as you go.

Enjoy traveling as a family!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.