Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Seating arrangement preference - family of 4

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2017, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Platinum

I am traveling with my wife and 2 kids (ages 2 and 5) this week and we will be on a 737. This is the first time we will have all flown together since we have had to buy each kid their own seat and therefore can no longer fit in one row together.

I’m curious what other people have found to work best for selecting seats for a flight with a similar seating arrangement. We decided to go with filling one row of 3, and then grabbing the aisle seat directly across. However, I almost went with 2 and 2 in back-to-back rows so each kid was with one parent.

What have you found to be best?
Old Dec 21, 2017, 12:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
3+1, for sure. Kids at window and middle. That way they can’t get out and no others are inconvenienced. Lone aisle parent is responsible for drinks run.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 2:04 pm

yes, 3+1 is a good option
Old Dec 22, 2017, 11:50 pm
Original Poster

The 3+1 worked out great, especially since the middle was open next to the +1 which came in handy late in the flight.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:15 pm

We always book 2+2. Neither one of us adults wants to deal with both kids alone. The parent across the aisle is pretty much useless. We try to rotate which kid sits in front and with which parent for each leg of the trip. Although now that our boys are teenagers I may start putting them together in front of my husband and I...
​​​
sucheng likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:24 am

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt
We will sometimes gamble and start out with a whole row, booking windows and aisles of a row, and leave the middle seats empty in hopes that no one selects them. For less busy times/flights, this has worked. A couple of times, we have offered to trade with one of the middle seat passengers, which they gladly and graciously accepted, which then put us all together, with one parent across the aisle. This seems to work well as a strategy for the elite seats, where you have to pay extra for more room, because who wants to pay extra for a middle seat? They seem to be the last to get selected. We get access to the "more room" seats at no extra cost on AA with my husband's status, so it works out.

However, when we still had a toddler, we went 2x2, with one parent wrangling each kid. Kid in the window, parent in the middle. Sometimes, we'd employ the same approach with consecutive rows on one side. Depends on what's available.

Our boys are 5 and 7 now, and they get completely absorbed in the IFE and require very little minding, so having my husband across the aisle almost next to me is actually a nice treat after ~4 years of him being one row up.

Last edited by swise; Jan 9, 2018 at 12:15 pm
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:53 am

I have to agree with some of the others who say 2+2. That makes a lot more sense. I don't have kids of my own but some of my married friends follow this method. It'll be a lot easier to manage the kids and keep them occupied this way, especially if it's a long flight. 3+1 will put the entire burden on one parent.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:55 am

3 + 1.

2 + 2 arrangement either puts the parent in the middle seat, or puts the kid next to a stranger.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA, *A Gold, Hyatt GP, HHonors, SPG, Priority Club
We tend to do 2+2 in 2 consecutive rows, but window and aisle - gambling the middle seats stay empty (you can always switch - no one wants to sit between you.). Consecutive rows actually makes it easier to communicate and pass treats back and forth (too hard across the aisle). Sometimes the kids (8 and 11) even decide they want to sit together, leaving DH and I wonderfully alone to pretend we're on a movie date.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Anna Phor
3 + 1.

2 + 2 arrangement either puts the parent in the middle seat, or puts the kid next to a stranger.
Honest question here, what is wrong with a stranger sitting beside your kid? Do parents really think that every stranger on an airplane is a pedophile or is there another reason that I am missing?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Finkface
Honest question here, what is wrong with a stranger sitting beside your kid? Do parents really think that every stranger on an airplane is a pedophile or is there another reason that I am missing?
I wouldn't want my kid sitting next to a stranger because I'd be worried about my kid bothering the stranger. It wouldn't be due to concern for my kid.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 9:16 am

We did 3x1 with a 4yo and baby, worked very well. One plus is that if something happens in the 3 row (ie, puke), you can send the kid to 1's lap while you clean up. I imagine 2x2 would work fine once the kids are older.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 4:51 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Whowouldanewman
I am traveling with my wife and 2 kids (ages 2 and 5) this week and we will be on a 737. This is the first time we will have all flown together since we have had to buy each kid their own seat and therefore can no longer fit in one row together.

I’m curious what other people have found to work best for selecting seats for a flight with a similar seating arrangement. We decided to go with filling one row of 3, and then grabbing the aisle seat directly across. However, I almost went with 2 and 2 in back-to-back rows so each kid was with one parent.

What have you found to be best?
If you have a kicker, 2+2 may be better.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Other thing to consider is carseats - if the kids are in carseats, they need to be in the window (unless you're on a widebody, in which case they can be in the center section or at the window), so you might end up with AB/EF (on a 3x3).
Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
When I flew airlines with assigned seating with our kids (same age spread, but a year older than yours), I took whatever I could get without paying to have them with an adult. Frequently 2+2, especially if flying a plane with 1 side with only 2 seats on that side.

Now we mostly fly Southwest. If the plane doesn't look like it'll be full we each take a kid and do aisle/window in hopes of middle seats staying open. If we know it's a full flight we typically do 3+1, younger child at the window, me, older child on the aisle, and husband across the aisle. My husband is a big man so he needs the aisle. He helps the older child across from him.

Honestly since we have enough tablets to go around flying with the kids is pretty easy these days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.