Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Booking a hotel room for 2 adults and bringing infants

Old Dec 6, 17, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Hey guys,
Looking for some help with something.
My wife and I are going to Europe next year with 2 kids under 2. When booking hotel rooms we have been searching for tons for 2 adults with crib available. Whenever we search for rooms with 2 adults and 2 kids the prices go way up! Are we allowed to book the room for 2 adults then bring the kids anyways or add them to the reservation later. I find it silly that I need to pay double the price to bring two infants who take up very little room. If one is in the crib and one in the bed with us and the other on the floor on this portable bed cushion we have is that not fine?
We don't want to have to pay double the price because rooms for 2 adults and 2 kids are so much more.
Anyone got any advice or insight?
TIA
Old Dec 6, 17, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by ennsy View Post
Hey guys,
My wife and I are going to Europe next year with 2 kids under 2. When booking hotel rooms we have been searching for tons for 2 adults with crib available. Whenever we search for rooms with 2 adults and 2 kids the prices go way up! Are we allowed to book the room for 2 adults then bring the kids anyways or add them to the reservation later. I find it silly that I need to pay double the price to bring two infants who take up very little room. If one is in the crib and one in the bed with us and the other on the floor on this portable bed cushion we have is that not fine?
We don't want to have to pay double the price because rooms for 2 adults and 2 kids are so much more.
TIA
Reserving for two adults and then showing up with 2 kids will likely get your reservation cancelled on the spot. Hotels in different countries have widely varying policies on extra people in the room. Some don't charge for kids under 2, some charge all parties equally. If the website raises the price when you add 2 kids, it means the hotel requires you to pay more to stay there with kids. If you find the hotel's rules "silly" stay somewhere else.

Fire regulations also come into play. Many properties are subject to laws governing how many people can stay in a room, and the laws usually don't differentiate between a 30 year old and 2 year old, both count as a person.
NoTravelIsFree likes this.
Old Dec 6, 17, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDTraveler View Post
Reserving for two adults and then showing up with 2 kids will likely get your reservation cancelled on the spot. Hotels in different countries have widely varying policies on extra people in the room. Some don't charge for kids under 2, some charge all parties equally. If the website raises the price when you add 2 kids, it means the hotel requires you to pay more to stay there with kids. If you find the hotel's rules "silly" stay somewhere else.

Fire regulations also come into play. Many properties are subject to laws governing how many people can stay in a room, and the laws usually don't differentiate between a 30 year old and 2 year old, both count as a person.
Thanks for the response. I figured as much.
Just sucks that rooms with kids are crazy expensive because you usually end up having to pay for a suite. I understand the reason, it just sucks for people like us. Fire code makes sense, though.
Old Dec 6, 17, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA
It really depends on the country and the property, but I've seen posts from parents that were able to book for two adults online and then call the specific property and the property agreeing to just add the two kids to the reservation. Unfortunately it did involve having to call each property individually to see if they are willing to do it.

Booking for two adults only and then just showing up with the two kids is the least recommended idea.
altabello likes this.
Old Dec 6, 17, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wrp96 View Post
It really depends on the country and the property, but I've seen posts from parents that were able to book for two adults online and then call the specific property and the property agreeing to just add the two kids to the reservation. Unfortunately it did involve having to call each property individually to see if they are willing to do it.

Booking for two adults only and then just showing up with the two kids is the least recommended idea.
Thanks. I guess I have some phone calls to make.
I would never have shown up without mentioning it to the hotel beforehand.
Old Dec 6, 17, 2:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It always pays to call the property directly during the work day when a senior manager is on duty. Websites are fine for routine business travel, but good managers know the situation and may have a room which meets fire code for 4 people, but isn't particularly desireable and will cut you some type of deal.

But, showing up with more people than booked is a poor idea. Either the reservation gets cancelled or you are forced into a larger room and that is at a rack rate far above what you would have to pay even now.
Old Dec 6, 17, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
It always pays to call the property directly during the work day when a senior manager is on duty. Websites are fine for routine business travel, but good managers know the situation and may have a room which meets fire code for 4 people, but isn't particularly desireable and will cut you some type of deal.

But, showing up with more people than booked is a poor idea. Either the reservation gets cancelled or you are forced into a larger room and that is at a rack rate far above what you would have to pay even now.
Good idea about talking the manager. Hopefully I get an understanding one.
Old Dec 7, 17, 5:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ennsy View Post
Hey guys,
TIA
Airbnb. If not, there are various hotels in various parts of Europe that may have policies that allow for children under a certain age to be free in the room if no additional bedding is requested/available. Some hotels in Europe have “family rooms” available for booking, but they don’t always show up online for booking even where they do exist.

For those couples with say a pair of 2-years old twins who book a room for 2 adults, it’s usually not a problem at most hotels in Europe even when the people should have been entering their search instructions so as to book the room/rooms for 2 adults+2children. Knowing dozens of couples who have had twins in Europe and traveled extensively (due in large part to generous paid parental leave benefits), the stories of it leading to major problems at check-in time or huge rate increases at check-in are way more the exception than the common outcome when the children are infants/toddlers.

If you call up specific hotels, you may do way better rate-wise than if trying to book a specific hotel online for your kind of circumstance of 2 adults in need of bedding for the adults + additional bedding for the pre-teen children.
zboub345 likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 7, 17 at 11:35 am
Old Dec 7, 17, 5:30 am

In this situation, I'd call the property directly and explain the situation. My sympathies to you, as we traveled Europe as a family of 5 (including two toddlers). We very often found it easier to book family rooms or stay with AirBnB.
Old Dec 7, 17, 8:33 am
yno

Programs: FB, M&M, Marriot, IHG, Club Carlson
I confirm that calling might be the best. We had been told by hotels that sometimes it's strict regulations that prevents them from having more people than advertised in a room, even when it's a baby. We generally identify hotels on booking.com, look at the rooms they have, and then simply call the hotels we have identified.
Old Dec 7, 17, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by firecracker725 View Post
In this situation, I'd call the property directly and explain the situation. My sympathies to you, as we traveled Europe as a family of 5 (including two toddlers). We very often found it easier to book family rooms or stay with AirBnB.
Traveling as a family of 5 is rough. I underestimated how difficult it would be to find hotels that can fit us all for our vacation to Europe next year. Vacation rentals are definitely the way to go, but when you have to stay at an airport hotel for one night with 3 kids, it can easily cost as much as 5 nights at an AirBnB.
Old Dec 7, 17, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yno View Post
I confirm that calling might be the best. We had been told by hotels that sometimes it's strict regulations that prevents them from having more people than advertised in a room, even when it's a baby. We generally identify hotels on booking.com, look at the rooms they have, and then simply call the hotels we have identified.
Thanks. I got some phone calls to make.
Old Dec 7, 17, 1:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Good luck OP. It's funny, hotels in North America generally don't seem to care about how many kids you squeeze into a room, but Europe, Asia, Australia... they all seem follow the letter of the law when it comes to their room capacity policies.

As others have mentioned, airbnb (or vrbo, or any other private rental) is a great solution to this problem. It has been a godsend for me personally. Going airbnb has certain other perks like having a place to prepare/eat breakfast (which is a huge timesaver for us in the morning), and the fact that you can have a separate bedroom to put the kids down to sleep in - it makes life easier when you stay up a bit later.
Old Dec 8, 17, 12:11 pm

I have had much success in Europe with flexibility in room occupancy - but only when calling the property directly. Never by online booking engine or the reservation number - and almost never by email.
Old Dec 8, 17, 2:06 pm
yno

Programs: FB, M&M, Marriot, IHG, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by heraclitus View Post
Good luck OP. It's funny, hotels in North America generally don't seem to care about how many kids you squeeze into a room, but Europe, Asia, Australia... they all seem follow the letter of the law when it comes to their room capacity policies.
actually the issue was with hotels in the USA that were quite strict

Search this Thread